The CJ Boot
    This might be kind of irrelevant, considering I wouldn't recommend CJ to anyone looking into aff marketing anymore because of LMI, but here's I think the first official gripe I've ever had about them.

I do some web consulting here in Rochester, on top of the other things I work on, and I've had two pretty substantial clients decide to monetize their sites with relevant CJ links.

Both signed up, and began planning the way in which they will promote. Bear in mind, these are established businesses, with great traffic. They also are a little slow because of their size. Not quite as nimble as an affiliate working out of their house.

Maybe you can see where this is going.

They both took 4 to 5 months to get things rolling. And neither had a sale, although they had clicks, in the month or so after they posted links.

So, per posted CJ rules, their accounts were dropped.

My question is this... How much of CJ's valuable resources were my clients taking up in their database? Wouldn't it be better to hose people who've never had a click through, as opposed to those that just haven't sold?

Of course, I pushed both of my clients to SAS. Advised them that they will be respected far more there.

Maybe they'll like the 75 million monthly impressions that CJ just threw out.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Maybe they'll like the 75 million monthly impressions that CJ just threw out.
    Once LMI makes them a data mining company, perhaps they'll stop dropping people for no sales... with focus on clicks, not sales, merchants will certainly view CJ differently as well.

This brings up another issue.
    Businesses that hire consultants to implement and manage CJ linkage into their site will be forced to either drop out OR hire the consultants AGAIN to make a switch to JS links.
    At least some good news for developers.

Good points from both of you...
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    I've had two pretty substantial clients decide to monetize their sites with relevant CJ links.

Both signed up and ... took 4 to 5 months to get things rolling ... neither had a sale, although they had clicks, in the month or so after they posted links.

So, per posted CJ rules, their accounts were dropped.

My question is this... How much of CJ's valuable resources were my clients taking up in their database?
    There's another option to the CJ's 6 month plan and that is to pay $10.

I think CJ wants the $10 from people.

Luckily I always make at least one sale during a 6 month period (to date) but CJ's adhesion contract angered me when it first became public so I "left" CJ for a while. I returned to CJ when one of my "lucrative" merchants left Yahoo Small Business and signed with CJ.

I've stayed with CJ but I would never pay $10 for the privilege of being able to display their advertisements on my site nor will I pay $200 to use their datafeeds.

I am looking at the development of LMI with a skeptical eye
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Lightbulb
    actually, the $10 is a penalty, not an in-payment to stay in. they dock accounts that have a little money in them at the six-months-of-no-sales point.

so it keeps you in the loop for a little while.

Its funny about the $10...last year I found that $20 in sales yields a 1 bar rating, around $500 made a 3 bar and somewhere around $1200 made a 5 bar.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    actually, the $10 is a penalty, not an in-payment to stay in. they dock accounts that have a little money in them at the six-months-of-no-sales point.

Tis true..............................They confiscated my first earnings as an affiliate. I am sure that we have both prospered from that little lesson.

We prospered without each other. ..........Quickie divorce.
    Last edited by Witzer; June 9th, 2006 at 03:37 PM.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    That's how you stay in ... a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

CJ makes money by imposing penalties. I am against that penalty.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

heh you'd almost think they have a quota of accounts they have to deactivate and that they get docked pay for reactivating accounts. I was deactivated for buying advertising on third party sites without applying to their "special program" thing and they wont re-activate me, but yet they suggested that i just open an account with a different email and continue on :-/

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by pstation
    ............ I was deactivated for buying advertising on third party sites without applying to their "special program" thing .......... :-/
    Can you explain what they call a "Third party site"? Are we talking about such as Google Ads or something completly different.

they wont re-activate me, but yet they suggested that i just open an account with a different email and continue on :-/
    That's what they told one of them... My client told them to shove it, essentially.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I got the same response for my sister Noth. She has had sales before just not since last Sept. I basically thought to myself, screw them theres other networks.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread