ABW Ambassador
    Follow this link to read more. My adoptive mother has breast cancer, but is doing well now. She had both of her breast removed, and her lymph gnodes(sp?). She is in recovery. It was two years ago that she was diagnosed with cancer. My uncle made me aware of the Volunteer Your PC program to help researchers with data in their pursuit of a cure. I have placed a link to their site on my front page, and encourage you to do the same.

One little link to a site who is fighting cancer, and helping researchers, wont hurt. and, it could very well help.

For my mother, and for the women who have suffered - thanks

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: Big Chuck ]

Chuck,

Thank God she is well!

Set up a paypal donate account and I'll put it up on ABW for us all to.

Lets all contribute to this worthy cause and help eradicate breast cancer!

God Bless,

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko,

Financial contributions I am sure would be appreciated by this organization. However, what they are asking people to donate is their PC. If I understand corectly, while people are away, and especially DSL and Cable internet subscribers, they use a software to download research data in trying to find a cure. So, what people donate is the use of their computers while they are away from their desks, the software is running and downloading info from research data.

My uncle gave it high marks for what they were trying to accomplish. For them to do this data download by themselves is an awesome task, but with folks on the internet helping it helps them speed things up a bit. Their is no cost to people who help, except the use of their computer to download. Then the info is sorted through the program and sent back to this organization.

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: Big Chuck ]

It's like the seti@home project where a whole group of home computers connected to the internet act like a super computer to do various tasks, calculations etc while your screensaver is going.

I had a few friends who kind of made it a competition to process more data than each other. It's a way cool idea especially when it's used for a great cause like this.

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Rik ]

Chuck,

I didn't have time to click the link and I thank you and Rik for elaborating ...

I have a dsl connection and I will sign up!
    http://www.intel.com/cure/download.htm

I'd also like to set up a link for us to donate (Chuck can you set it up?)

Haiko
    [added link to program]

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

ABW Ambassador
    I have never set up a paypal account. I'll check it out. I don't know anyone at this organization personally, but will ask them. I think they already have a paypal account. Can we just set up through them?

Chuck,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Can we just set up through them?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep!

Haiko

Glad to hear she is well, Big Chuck.

I did the seti@home thing for a couple hundred units. Was kinda neat but I didn't know there was one for fighting cancer. Thats a whole different and more important matter.

If its like the Seti thing the units are downloaded automatically if you are online then your computer analyzes a data block. When done it uploads the results and downloads another. I only have a 56K connection and they were quick transfers.
    It shows up as a small icon in your tray and uses something like less than 2% of resources. If you need those 2% then you can temporarily disable it.

Thanks for posting the info for this... I'm there...

[manual spellcheck editing]

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Planetwide Exodus ]

Its a whole lot better than the seti@home project, no bugs so far.

Apparently they are looking for an effective attack against an identified growth protein in cancer cells. Impressive.

They rate my system at 60 out of an overall 100. So I'm substandard (no surprise) but up to 5% of the first data unit in ten minutes and I'm doing two other things with my PC at the same time... Plus being here of course. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Most impressive.

>Its a whole lot better than the seti@home project, no bugs so far.

More likely to work too :/

Its not that I don't think aliens exist. Its more I don't think they'll be using radio.

I

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Its not that I don't think aliens exist. Its more I don't think they'll be using radio.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed.

ABW Ambassador
    Hello Chuck....

I will gladly contribute cash if they will take it, however I am forever afraid of cross-linking utilizing my PC(s). I'm an old IBM'er, so perhaps I am just being overly cautious.

GOD bless your family pal....

Obstinatedon

Big Chuck, I wish your family all the very best.

rev. jst. http://inmynotebook.com

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: jst ]

ABW Ambassador
    It seems that this idea to ask people to volunteer their PC has taken off. Here is another link that someone shared on another forum - http://www.fightaidsathome.org/

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread