Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Will you be adding new CJ merchants?
    All,

I am about to launch my affiliate program via 3rd party network. Until now, we have been focusing on and working with CJ. While in the past I know that many affiliates on this forum were unhappy with CJ for various reason, the issues seemed specific to a merchant, particular situation, or (eventually) resolvable.

With the new LMI/JS initiative's issues, I have sensed a whole new tone (quite observant, I know!). I asked my sales rep at CJ a few basic questions regarding the change, but was quickly referred to the FAQs and given a simple answer "CJ does not expect to see any loss of traffic and/or sales as a result of the change to the new link type."

He may be right. If current relationships can continue doing business with legacy links (and from what I gather, they will) then no dropoff should occur (in the near future). But this clearly does not address how this will effect ME - a new program. One of the main reasons we selected CJ was the affiliate network. I truly understand the nature of the merchant/affiliate relationship, and do not expect a larger network to "throw affiliates my way". But, I do expect to have a good starting point/tools to recruit affiliates that best fit my program. Will these efforts be in vain?

Will YOU be adding new CJ merchants to your program? Where will you go to replace merchants you no longer will recruit via CJ? What additional questions do you propose I (or would you like me to) ask my sales contact at CJ? Do you suggest I look elsewhere, and where?

Sorry for the long post and THANKS for any feedback.

Gideon

Internet Cowboy

No.

No.

My response to all new offers:

Due to the upcoming requirements of javascript linking, I will not be joining any more programs through Commission Junction. If you have an account with another network or a private program, I'd be glad to take a look. Otherwise, I would suggest contacting your CJ account rep and letting them know if my reasoning for the decline concerns you. Thanks for your time...

ABW Ambassador

No.

Will you be keeping your exisiting CJ Merchants?

I will wait until I actually see what the new CJ world looks like but the anwser is probably going to be the same - No.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon
    Until now, we have been focusing on and working with CJ.
    Regardless of LMI's outcomes, it has been a great reminder of a rock solid business strategy... diversify your operations for risk management reasons.

Earlier, when that deadline was looming, it smelt extra bad for those who had all their eggs in a CJ basket.

I added new CJ merchants in order to see if a grace period will work during this LMI transition.

I also added merchants from across all networks that I affiliate.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Regardless of LMI's outcomes, it has been a great reminder of a rock solid business strategy... diversify your operations for risk management reasons.

Earlier, when that deadline was looming, it smelt extra bad for those who had all their eggs in a CJ basket.
    No questions, diversification is key on both sides - publisher & merchant. But I need to start somewhere, and do not have the resources (personell/time) to launch with multiple networks at once. Only one basket... which egg is least rotten?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Magic Eight-Ball says:
    Extremely unlikely.
    The only way I'm likely to sign up with a new merchant at CJ is if it's someone who has products that are a perfect fit for my sites, has a great cookie period and a spectacular commission rate. Other than that, why bother? There are plenty of non-CJ fish in the sea.

15 years and counting
    gideon - Will YOU be adding new CJ merchants to your program?
    No, I'm too busy swapping my CJ links to SAS or Indies.
    These people have NO respect for their customers, merchants or affiliates. They don't care for who are paying them. They are trying to take advantage of BOTH. I knew they were THIEVES, I discover lately they were LIARS. It's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    No, I'm too busy swapping my CJ links to SAS or Indies.
    These people have NO respect for their customers, merchants or affiliates. They don't care for who are paying them. They are trying to take advantage of BOTH. I knew they were THIEVES, I discover lately they were LIARS. It's too much.
    Then keep them on the line without using them.

Adding CJ merchants is fun -- it's like playing pinball.

What if some of them can weather this storm and turn out to be alright?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

15 years and counting
    Rhia - What if some of them can weather this storm and turn out to be alright?
    I've some outstanding merchants at CJ. I worked with some of them for the last 8/9 years. I've private deals with many and I'm not leaving them. We're leaving CJ and we're looking for alternative tracking.
    I'm not working for fun even if I want to keep affiliate marketing, fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I've some outstanding merchants at CJ. I worked with some of them for the last 8/9 years. I've private deals with many and I'm not leaving them. We're leaving CJ and we're looking for alternative tracking.
    I'm not working for fun even if I want to keep affiliate marketing, fun.
    Zeus, if I see a CJ merchant transfer to SAS or elsewhere, I will sign up for the alternative program.

The question was:
    Yes, I did. Why not? I've already given reasons.

Am I compelled to use their links? No. So what's the problem?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Will YOU be adding new CJ merchants to your program?
    NO.

At least, not until after the and we can finally see the outcome of the new things to come to a publisher near by.

Where will you go to replace merchants you no longer will recruit via CJ?
    SaS would be my next stop.

Do you suggest I look elsewhere, and where?
    You can try ShareAsale and you can also go in-house too.

Sal.

Let's put it this way, it would have to be a merchant selling a specific product I market at a better price (or less shipping) AND you would have to provide a better commission rate. Other than that, I'm not going to do the new JS links until they are proven to be a viable program. The time I take to swap out links or make new JS links cuts into my profit margin if they don't end up working. Links at other merchants at other networks have proven themselves and will continue to generate sales while CJ is in their Beta phase with the JS links.

So, I'll never say never, but I am highly cautious at this point.

Also, I've reffered many a merchant to CJ over the years. Right now that would not happen during this period of flux, so I will recommend any future merchants to a more tested program such as SAS.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

NO.

Recommend ShareaSale.

Still adding new merchants, encouraging the best performing merchants to setup on other networks in case CJ shuts down or stops making available the "legacy links".

I'm not stup to deal with JavaScript links and I think it's going to be a big mess for a lot of CJ merchants with an Internet full or links expiring if they turn off the "legacy links" at some point.

I should clarify....

When I add a new merchant, at any network, I'm making a committment to many hours of time as I don't have just one domain, I have nearly 100 active ones and it takes much of my time to update links on that many sites so I go into it carefully and with much forethought. I'm not about to change a bunch of links to JS and then have to go back and figure out which ones I changed when this thing all goes sour.

Time will tell, time will tell.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Sort of - I signed up for a merchant who has a pretty good datafeed a while ago, haven't gotten around to adding them yet, but will. Not quite adding a new CJ merchant, but the sign-up to activation time spans the introduction of LMI.

No, definitely not adding anymore. I'm shooting for long term here, and putting up sites when CJ will implement something like this is a waste of my time.

Shareasale is working just fine as their substitute..
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

I've added a few merchants recently and slapped up a few text-links and banners to test.

But not going to design any new sites or pages around CJ merchants until well after 6/23, if ever..we'll see?

NO, as long as their policy remains that they will require links to be switched over to JavaScript at some point in the future. I think they're going to back off of that fairly soon, though.

Even once they back off of that, they've lost a tremendous amount of credibility to me. I'll be much more hesitant to work with CJ merchants as a result. There are several things they could do to help restore our trust:

1) They need to establish an Affiliate Advisory Board and involve that board in the brainstorming, planning, development, testing, and rollout of all future enhancements.

2) They need to develop some affiliate-friendly tools and options, such as an API or datafeed for non-product links, a robust coupon/bargain database, etc.

3) They need to take a firmer stand against parasites (or at least stop pushing them on unsuspecting merchants!).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

1) They need to establish an Affiliate Advisory Board and involve that board in the brainstorming, planning, development, testing, and rollout of all future enhancements.
    If CJ wants to take a step into truly making an affiliate-friendly network, this idea should be #1 on the list. They need more interaction and voice from affiliates, which I'm sure they have absolutely none of right now.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

ABW Ambassador

No.

Will you be keeping your exisiting CJ Merchants?

Waiting to see how the new javascript links work and to see if CJ is moving away from affiliate marketing for datamining. Not a direction I want to take my business in. TOO MANY unanswered questions at CJ tends to make me nervous.

I also Recommend ShareaSale as an alternative.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your program gideon.

No!

But, I have such a low opinion of CJ that I quit them a while back so I wouldn't have, anyway.

Use SAS!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

At this time I do not plan to add any more CJ merchants. The only way I see myself adding a new merchant would be if the merchant fit a slot I needed to fill and I couldn't fill the need through another network or program.

At this point, CJ is my absolute last choice.

For what it's worth, there are plenty of merchants to keep me busy at SAS so I really don't see myself adding any new mechants.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast