2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    USA spammer whacked for 10 million in fines
    Google Ryan Pitylak ... http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...q=Ryan+Pitylak

An American man who led one of the world's largest spamming operations has agreed to pay $10m in fines, officials in the US state of Texas said on Thursday. Ryan Pitylak, 24, and his partners Mark Trotter, Gary Trappler and Alan Refaeli bombarded consumers with millions of emails under at least 250 assumed names, said Greg Abbott, the Texas attorney general.

"This crackdown effectively shuts down one of the worst spam operators and sends a warning to others who would engage in spam emailing for profit," Abbot added. In a separate settlement with software company Microsoft, Pitylak agreed to a fine of $1 million dollars and promised never again to send false, misleading or unsolicited commercial emails.

'Learning experience'.... The former student, at one point considered the world's fourth worst spammer, sent emails advertising low-cost mortgages, extended auto warranties and debt-counseling services, among other offers. He received $3 to $7 for every lead he generated when someone clicked on links in his messages. In an interview with a Texas newspaper after the settlement, he claimed to have turned against spamming.

"This has been a real good learning experience for me," he told the San Antonio Express. "The settlement has been a bit harsh but I'm happy to move on with my life."

Neat to see him posting http://www.offthekuff.com/mt/archives/003952.html
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

"This has been a real good learning experience for me," he told the San Antonio Express. "The settlement has been a bit harsh but I'm happy to move on with my life."

He's says harsh? Dosen't seem to have a problem paying the fine. Guess it was harsh but still profitable.

I say Chicken Poop add some jail time.

Poopie's Soap Box
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

"This has been a real good learning experience for me,"

I think this is what most people say right after the law has smacked 'em upside the head a couple of times...
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

I wonder what percentage of his spam income that fine represents. It looks like there is a lot of money to be made using sucker bait.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The Spammer On Ingraham
    He appeared as a guest on the Laura Ingraham radio show this morning. KNUS in Denver. He refused to answer the question about how much he made, but he has started a company "advising" others how to avoid spamming??

Guess he got some free press on his new venture. At any rate, it sounded like he learned his lesson. Hopefully he moves on with more positive ventures.

Alan
    AmeriTrustRx

With the tons of spam that I keep getting daily the hand of law has to "smacked 'em upside the head a couple of times" with the speed of a rock-drill.
    [LEFT][B]Good partners = top positions[/B]
    see screenshots with [url=www.autolinkexchanger.com]PROOFS[/url]
    [url=www.autolinkexchanger.com]Automatic Reciprocal Links Exchange Script[/url]
    [url=www.profitlinking.com]Link exchange service[/url] - best price in the industry + [url=www.profitlinking.com/free-service-contest.htm]free contest[/url][/LEFT]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The domain registration companies are fueling all the spam. Every month 35+ million domain names are kited as spam bases on the 5 day refund program adopted by ICANN. These 35+ million domains cost the spamming perp nothing under the current rules. Either the registrars operate the spam farms, or take cuts from the spammers for revolving door spamming domains that rotate as often as every 48 hours to escape spam filters.

The hosting companies and enities like Google using parked domains offer up spam e-mail services on pink slip basis to the IAB/DMA list brokers who monitize all the Zombie Bot systems for spam and PPCSE click fraud.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    The hosting companies and enities like Google using parked domains offer up spam e-mail services on pink slip basis to the IAB/DMA list brokers who monitize all the Zombie Bot systems for spam and PPCSE click fraud.
    Well, Google can't be against extra bucks that created by these dummy PPC sites, because the big part of the pie is taken by Google

P.S. "Earlier this year, federal prosecutors in New York charged a former AOL engineer with stealing 92 million AOL screen names and selling them to a spammer." this is a quote from http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-11-03-spam_x.htm
    [LEFT][B]Good partners = top positions[/B]
    see screenshots with [url=www.autolinkexchanger.com]PROOFS[/url]
    [url=www.autolinkexchanger.com]Automatic Reciprocal Links Exchange Script[/url]
    [url=www.profitlinking.com]Link exchange service[/url] - best price in the industry + [url=www.profitlinking.com/free-service-contest.htm]free contest[/url][/LEFT]

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Te Spammer Student
    'Learning experience'.... The former student, at one point considered the world's fourth worst spammer,

How will he pay his fines?....

I heard Ryan Pitylak two weeks ago. He was a guest on the Laura Ingraham radio show. Get this..... He is NOW working WITH the government to break up spam rings!! He is also paid a bundle to speak at techy gatherings etc on spamming and how they got around the filters etc. He is reportedly also writing a book based on his "adventures."

He'll probably end up with a movie deal as well. Heck - who knows, a few years from now he may be an Oscar winner Makes you shake your head and wonder.... Oh well. Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson.

Alan
    AmeriTrustRx

Someone who can afford a 11 million dollars in fines should have been charged with violating the "Can-Spam" act and not rewarded with a government gig.

Cool
    you got that right!

and welcome to ABW . . .

I agree with Herb.

We should not be encouraging spammers to work with the government. This is a bad example.

We should fine him or put him in jail. I am very tired of email issues.
    Not only we pay for anti-virus every year, now we have to get anti spam... :-(

Such a hefty sum to pay! How much had he been earning to warrant such fine! I never thought spamming to be such a lucrative business but that article seems to prove me wrong.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread