Adsense Video Ads
    Has anyone seen one of the new Adsense Video Ads yet?

Click-to-play video ads

We've recently launched click-to-play video ads, a new ad format for sites in the AdSense network.
    <a href="http://www.brandablebooks.com">Brandable Books</a>

Will those slow down a page?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Hardly, a tad more than a similar sized banner. The lead-in picture for the movie is a usual small graphic, the movie won't play unless someone clicks the play button. So the extra overhead is the screenshot (small) and some limited instructions and browser prep time to setup the movie for playing (which depends on the users multimedia plug-ins, but is relatively fast).

Movies stream, so movie loading time doesn't come until user hits play - so doesn't impact page loading speed.

Here's a sample ad - loads quickly - plays quickly:
    https://google.com/adsense/samplevideo

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Internet Infomercials ... pretty cool if we get paid a better % for running them on our sites, otherwise I don't particularly want my visitors watching a video pitch for longer than it would take them to look over my offerings and hit the "buy" button on a given product. This is also BIG branding for merchants. Bless them and hope it works in their favor. Seems a waste of space for publishers being paid per click.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Don't really see the big deal with video ads. Most people don't like commercials and advertising ( I do ) , so now they have to click to see it and from the looks of it, click again to get to where the ad wants them to get to. 2 clicks on an ad instead of the usual 1.

Don't you just hate the video ads that start automatically on some sites? Or even the ones with annoying sounds that scare the bejeebies out of you?

I can see where the site owner might think this wouldn't click/convert as well, but on the other hand, if the videos are done well, it might convert better than what people are used to seeing (because they are burned out / accustomed to ignoring things). If you consider that they click on an adsense ad now, and that most now recognize that they're being wisked away, I'd say this will come down to the quality of the intial screenshot people show to pitch their video.

Years ago, everyone told me that adsense banner ads got fewer clicks than adsense text on average - I've found the opposite with my cpc google image ads - they have CTR usually double my normal cotent network text ads.

So before you decide, test.

And if you a video producer type, Google just created a great biz opp for you. I wish AlexBet made videos... err... wait, haven't even asked him yet...

If you can produce videos to meet the specs, please PM me with your portfolio and expect me to request a quote if I'm impressed. I have a particular video in mind I want to have created already...

I still find that text ads and text links work the best in just about everything BUT game (based) sites which banners do much better. I contribute that to the darker designs and such and the banners standing out better, but it could be a couple of other factors.

In such sites I could see video ads working well also.

A text AdSense ad is not a text link. So the comparison to them makes no sense to me. Text links, particularly aff text links, are my bread and butter. But we're talking about AdSense. AdSense is a box clearly labeled as an ad. It can have text in it being displayed, but it is not a text link. So it's a choice of what to put in the display box that is very clearly labeled as ad stuff.

Something that looks like text -or- an image -or- now a video.

My stats show that well thought out images do MUCH better (2x to 5x) for me as an advertiser (when I pay to run them thru adwords, my CTR is much higher for my image ads than for text adsense ads). This might lead to better income for the website owner (the person showing the AdSense ads), but there's the image-ad-shows-1 while text-looking-ads-show-several deal that skews my CTR (and therefore AdSense income) argument downwards for the website owner.

In any case, my experience (backed by stats) is that people glance at AdWords box and don't read each ad's text... and an image can get their attention better than a box filled with text from 2-4 different advertisers... and I think a video might do even better. I will be testing it soon.

People who can produce videos just got an invite to this HUGE online ad world. I am befuddled that other forums and online ad press are not discussing this more - there's a LOT of money to be made here today, and it wasn't here a few weeks back.

My impression stats from the G content network, which I often disable or bid very low, are HUGE. In a year, well over 200 million imps. And I'm a blip. Widely distributing video ads on this scale was nearly impossible a few weeks ago, now, it's not. There's a lot of marketing creativity that can be poured into this new mechanism. Text ads are 25/35/35 chars of text. Video messages can be SO much stronger.

There's a school in Orlando called FullSail - a top notch college for multimedia arts. There are creative minds being cranked out of that institution at a high rate. They get jobs at apple, easports, xbox oems, music studios, web marketing companies. The tuition is sky high and their multimedia programs are nationally among the best. They focus on sound, video, Internet, multimedia apps... there are so many 20-somethings over there that could start their own business right now prepping video ads for companies, big companies, right now. Huge budgets, HUGE imps. This industry is providing opportunities, that scale, and are making individual people wealthy, like none other in history. And this video opportunity is another of the dozen or so quantum steps our industry seems to produce each year.

It's a great time to be an Internet Entrepreneur!!!

video continues to grow in popularity, several large merchants are adding video clips to their sites - perhaps they'll make some available to affiliates as creatives...

here's an article about it's cost to merchants and what they need to get into it and short notes about a few that are working it up now:
    http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=21141

video ads via google adwords, as i've said before, only incur an ad cost if they click through, not if they just view the video. branding your site on a cpa basis is extremely cost effective.

it doesn't work for every product or service, but for many, a quick preview or product use in action can spur interest and conversion.

i also believe that 'how to' videos are a great help to your seo.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread