View Poll Results: Which laptop brand would you choose?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sony

13 56.52%
  • Toshiba

10 43.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sony or Toshiba?
    Please help choose. I've been using Sony Vaios for the past 5 years, but now is the time for me to change my laptop and I am seriously considering a Toshiba Qosmio model instead... Could you please cast your vote for either, or?

Thanks in advance,

Geno

When I researched my laptop it seemed Toshiba was the way to go, but their laptops had a terrible looking design. Then I wanted a Sony because they had a nice look, but I was told to steer clear of Sony due to poor support and service. I ended up getting an Apple which is the best computer buying decision I've ever made! They make beautiful notebooks, they're screaming fast and can run both OS X and Windows XP. I read that the new MacBook Pro can run XP faster than many PC notebooks.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Thanks, Scott. Anyone else? So far we've got only 2 votes in...

G

http and a telephoto
    I like my HP with a turion 64 processor. I have a friend that just had to send her Toshiba in for servicing, it was out of her hands for 2 weeks. Even though they fixed her problems, having to send away my laptop for 2 weeks would not be a happy thing. This laptop has been my 24/7 workhorse since the day I brought it home and it has only screamed at me twice, and believe me, I work it to the limits....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

How long ago did you buy your HP, Deb?

I've no experience with Sony or Toshiba laptops. I have a HP which I love. A little heavier than ideal but I wanted bigger screen. I mostly intended to use it for quick stat checks, site checks & email espcially when on vacation but find I use it a lot more.

Token "Canadian" Cool Guy Ryan@MB's Avatar
    What about a MAC? I have been thinking of getting a laptop for the past few months and the MAC's sound pretty good. I have a G-5 at home and has been nothing but loyal to me... before that I had a PC that everytime I turned it on it sounded like it would blow up.

Once you go MAC... you'll never go back.
    Ryan MacWha
    Merchant Manager
    [b]We’ll help you build your affiliate program[/b]
    [b][URL="http://www.maxbounty.com"]MaxBounty 2.0[/URL][/b]

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Geno,

Just got myself a Qosmio G35...

Love it, a bit heavy but I bought it as a desktop replacement first and mobility second. The puppy zooms through apps, photoshop, anything you throw at it. It has an Intel Core Duo Processor, upgraded to 2G Ram and added a Sprint broadband wireless card....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    Just got myself a Qosmio G35...
    You must be kidding, Andy! This is exactly the machine I'm looking at.

How long ago did you buy yours?

G.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    You must be kidding, Andy! This is exactly the machine I'm looking at.

How long ago did you buy yours?

G.
    Got it 2 weeks ago...still customizing it, adding frequently used apps and loading up all my ARC data.

I decided this year to further "mobilize' my ofice, with Hurricane season here, I need a strong "B Plan". I can't take all my PC's with me, (we have 6 in the office) and I need to be able to work anywhere and have all my data and apps with me. This puppy has a 160 gig drive, or can be configured as a RAID 80 gig. It has 2 80 gig drives.

It is heavy though, be warned, its not a take with you daily system. It weighs in at easily 9 lbs. It's solid though, feels great, awesome keyboard, solid as well. The audio is top notch, can be use as a media entertainment system as well.

Overall, im very happy with it for my needs....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

I've never used a Sony laptop, and it's been years since I've had a Toshiba, so I can't share any recent experience with either.

Here's one vote against an HP laptop, though. I bought a 17" HP Pavillion about a year and a half ago. It's had a lot of problems.

The hard drive crashed a few months after I got it. They replaced the hard drive, but I spent a couple weeks recovering all of my data, reinstalling everything, and reconfiguring everything.

The barrel plug where the power adaptor plugs in broke right after the 1-year warranty expired. This is a very common problem with HP laptops. The price and time required to get it fixed was outrageous, so I ended up just buying a multimedia port replicator cable for about $20. You can plug the power adaptor into a plug on that cable and it works fine.

In the past month, I've started getting vertical lines on the screen. It started with just a couple. Now it's up to about a dozen.

I'll never get another HP. I'm probably switching back to Dell for my next laptop. They have a new 20.1" laptop that I'm salivating over.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yeah, Michael, I had somewhat of a similar experience with an HP... That is why I'm not even considering it.

Andy, tell me about its fan! Is it on all the time?

Also, what is the exact speed of the Intel Core Duo processor in comparison with Pentium 4? Should Core Duo's speed be multiplied by 2 to get the P4 equivalent?

Many thanks in advance,

Geno

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Look at any lightweight X-series Levino/IBM notebook and just get the media slice/port replicator or nifty X-base for hooking up Desktop addons. IBM quality under 4 lbs is the way to go if you find one at closeout prices. Use it for 2 years and resell for original purchase price... then buy another.

I started with the old Butterfly keyboard light weight IBM bought for 1000.00 closeout price. Since the 90's I've owned an X-21, X30, X-31, X-41 without ever spending a dime for a replacement notebook or any repairs. Any IBM lightweight with extra ram for 1000.00 (or less) is a cheap investment.... and easy resell at any Hot spot coffee shop or bar.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan@MB
    Once you go MAC... you'll never go back.
    I agree 100%!! I bought my Mac because it was the best laptop on the market, but in the back of my mind I expected to get a PC again down the road. After being a Mac user for a year and a half I've made up my mind never to go back to PC. I'm even working on convincing my fiance to go with an Apple. I had her play with the new 13.3" MacBook at the Apple store and she fell in love. This is just days after telling me "I really don't want an Apple".

Now that the new Intel MacBooks are out I'm considering selling my 17" Powerbook G4. I just can't make up my mind whether to go for another 17" model or to get the 15". This laptop is a bit bulky due to the 17", but I love the resolution. The new 15" has the same resolution just on a smaller screen, so I'm very tempted to get a slightly smaller notebook. What do you guys think? This is a desktop replacement, but I do take it out from time to time and it can get somewhat heavy.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

From the old research i did on this years ago, Toshiba has better sound quality but Sony has better graphics quality, this may have changed. I think in general I would go with Sony because any software included, will likely have a mix of Sony software and they have some really nice stuff out there like Soundforge. Just depends on what you need it for but I'd look at the software bundles too.

I would recomend either.

Look at Acer, HP even Dell.

I would say not Toshiba for a couple of reasons. Most Toshiba laptops are incompatible with the ipod and Itunes. So if you want to get an ipod or have one, make sure you can use it with the toshiba. Also, the last two toshibas I have had have chronic overheating problems. The fan gets full of dust and needs to be frequently cleaned to avoid overheating. Lastly, the electrical cord plugs into a pin that is on the motherboard. If the pin breaks ( and it is easy to break them when you travel) you have to replace the ENTIRE motherboard. I have had this happen on two laptops, both toshiba, and both less than a week out of warrenty.

I will work on this toshiba until it dies, or the pin breaks on the motherboard again, but I won't buy another, ever, ugh!

It is better than the compaq I used to have, but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    Lastly, the electrical cord plugs into a pin that is on the motherboard. If the pin breaks ( and it is easy to break them when you travel) you have to replace the ENTIRE motherboard. I have had this happen on two laptops, both toshiba
    That's exactly what happened with my HP laptop, and it's a common problem with many of them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    I have had this happen on two laptops, both toshiba, and both less than a week out of warrenty.
    Buy with American Express. Most of their cards double the warranty on anything you buy (up to an additional year). It's been a real money-saver for me
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Wow, I didn't know that about AE, I will have to apply for one. I had one at one time but expired it as I didn't use it. Thanks for that tip

A 50/50 split of votes is something that I kinda expected, and it is happening now...

All feedback is still much appreciated. I haven't made my choice yet (leaning towards that Toshiba tho')...

Geno

Affiliate Network Rep
    I have a Sony vaio, and love it. My dad has a Toshiba however, and is always telling me that he should have got a laptop like mine.

I'm not sure about the specific problems he's had with his laptop..i think they've been more design issues than hardware problems....

But I can defintiely recommend that you get a Sony again. From my experience they are great machines, and wont' let you down!

Thanks, Saira.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by saira_shareresults
    ...I can defintiely recommend that you get a Sony again. From my experience they are great machines, and wont' let you down!
    Having given it a lot of consideration and analysis, I have pretty much decided to stick with VAIOs. Here's what I can get from Sony directly (custom-built):

Sony Vaio VGN-FE690

• 15.4" WXGA XBRITE-HiColor™ with built-in camera
    • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    • 160 GB Hard Disk Drive
    • Intel Core Duo Processor T2500 (2 GHz)
    • 2 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR2-533, 1 GBx2)
    • Wireless LAN (802.11a\b\g) and Bluetooth Technology
    • CD-RW/DVD Drive and other standard options

...and all of this only for $2069.99!

I'll sleep on it, and more than likely order one tomorrow.

In the meantime, if anyone could please comment on the importance of RAM vs Processor speed, I would highly appreciate your input. See, the cost of the 2 GHz + 2 GB RAM laptop of this model pretty much equals the cost of the the 2.16 GHz + 1 GB RAM option. Which to go with?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Geno

I would definitely go with 2 GHZ + 2 GB over 2.16 GHz + 1 GB. You won't even notice an extra 8% in processor speed, but you'll definitely notice improved performance with double the memory.

Do you really need 160 MB on your hard drive? Usually the largest hard drives are slower. A fast hard drive will improve performance as well.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I have the same laptop as Andy - I love it - i got mine about 2 months ago I believe
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast