I am a newbie that has been lurking for a while. I found the board through a referral by Core. (Thanks Core)
    I have learned a great deal thus far. Shortly into my studies I ordered the Rudl course and then shortly after that ordered the Evoy site build it package.
    I want to avoid analysis paralysis but I seem to be leaning that way...which leads me to my question. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Should I try to find a profitable niche? (Which Evoy reccomends but it seems that all of the key words I come up with are High demand but high supply)
    Or should I just jump in and start marketing what I am interested in?
    Perhaps if some of you would talk about your beginnings, why you chose the particular theme of your first site, what you would do different now, etc.
    Thanks again to everyone on this board.

If you are just starting....start w/ something that you're interested in.....if not...you'll get burned out easily.

Affiliate marketing takes a lot of work and if you don't like what you're doing...then you may quit as soon as you are in....

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Niches! Go for 'em!

Hint: If what you are thinking of is "high supply", it's either NOT really a niche, or you're not thinking of a different enough way to market it. When you check your keyword in Google, there should not be a bajillion other sites promoting it. I'll try to qualify that a bit...a Saturated category may have 1,000,000 sites or more that show in the results. A Niche keyword may have 20,000 sites that mention it. 20,000 may seem like a lot, but in most of those categories there's about 5 real Revenue Sites and the rest are content of some type or another, ranging from big-huge content sources to free homepages. Content sites might as well not be there for your purposes--most people who want to Buy will skip right by 'em.

Keyphrases are easier to get than keywords. Work up to the single words, but catch some keyphrases so you can get some $$$ coming in faster.

The general advice is to promote what interests you. I will say that the faster that you get interested in PROMOTION, for the sake of promotion, the faster you will make Real Money at this. My best products are things I personally have no interest in! My interest is in seeing the Balance rise...

Sell what you can make sound exciting and desireable--as long as every other site on the Net isn't trying to sell the same thing!

You ask, "Perhaps if some of you would talk about your beginnings, why you chose the particular theme of your first site, what you would do different now, etc."

All the networks I looked at said I had to have a site already running in order to be approved. So I wrote some Gardening content pages because that's what I knew enough about to write about without having to research it.

Soon thereafter, I realized that C*ntent is a great way to make $0. So I started to put up AD pages dedicated to one product, with ad-text supporting that product. Those ad pages really worked!

So after that I put up a virtual mall. A virtual mall is like riding a rocketship compared to a c*ntent site which is like crawling on all 4s, when it comes to money. Since then I have put up more sites--all commercial. I firmly believe that it's counterintuitive to try to sell stuff off of a content site!!! That's like trying to sell things from a library! One motto of mine is, Entertainment is for theaters and education is for universities--and I'm neither one of those!!!

I didn't abandon the gardening site, but that's because it's The First Site, not because it started making any money from the c*ntent pages.

What would I do different now? If I knew then what I know now...I would have only put up about 2 pages of c*ntent and changed my category to Virtual Malls the minute I got accepted (dumping the c*ntent). Now that I HAVE existing virtual malls, I don't even mention a c*ntent site when signing up for places. But to get in, there has to be some site up already...and until the first merchant/network says "Yes," there aren't any ads TO put up! Once there's an ad to put, it's STORE time!

I would have never promoted PhoneFree (now deactivated from LS), those crooks!

I would have never promoted contests in a PPC engine!!! How I managed to break even on that I don't know.

If a merchant says some crap like "this will enhance your content" or "this will provide a better experience for your visitors", now I RUN LIKE H*LL!!! When merchants say that kind of stuff, it's because their product/service WON'T provide increased revenue! They might as well be wearing dog tags when they say a line like "enhance your content"...because they're dogs!

Things have changed between then and now. Then, PPC engines were The Way to get a new affiliate site launched and making money quick! Now the PPCs don't even want to talk to affiliate sites... and they've diluted their traffic, too, so it doesn't convert nearly as well as it used to.

I don't spend as much time reposting the same stuff anymore.

My Dud Merchant Detector works better.

That's enough for one post...

Leader,

That was a very good and helful post. Almost like a complete semester of affiliate 101 in one very thought out and presented post.

Thanks

Wowsers Leader that was a good post, thanks!

Great Post Leader [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Wow! Thanks Leader! Thats a printer outer!
    :eek:

ABW Ambassador
    Leader...Thanks!!!! Great post

ABW Ambassador
    There's a Lady in here, Who's Wisdom in affiliate marketing is unmatched. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Atleast comparitively to the guys out here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Regards
    TGO

Thanks for the compliment TGO but I'm male not female.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Ohhhhh, you meant someone else?

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Rik ]

ABW Ambassador
    Shhhhhh....he was talking about someone else [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Now the PPCs don't even want to talk to affiliate sites.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still don't get that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Shhhhhh....he was talking about someone else.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I know. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Leader you need to write a book / ebook and sell it (for a fair price that will satisfy all parties). And if you ever do don't use your real name because the nickname "Leader" would do well for brand recognition.

How about that for a niche market?

Great post Leader!

People, take notes cause this is the last post of this kind that you will see from Leader in quite a while. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Rik mate...That book would go ka-boomb into the best sellers of affiliate mktg...Our very own abesweb category for best sellers lol

Regards
    TGO

Shhh....Someone's Here...lol

ABW Ambassador
    Alexbet..

What ? What ? What ? Why ?

Hmm..Could u let us know ?

Regards
    TGO

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Good post showing the real inside scoop on showcasing products that command good conversion rates because those "clicks" know what to expect at the end of the link. Niche' sites focus the desires of shoppers since their are few diversions since those merchants also have a passion for their products. Bonsai trees -suspenders -handmade boots -hammocks -wooden hand painted decoys -art fair type pottery or figurines or any product not sold at 5000 retail outlets to a limited audience sell well. The mass produced branded items like computers, cameras, home electronics or clothing sell only if priced attractively.

Walmart has no passion, but sure has 65,000 choices to confuse shoppers so their 1 day cookie makes for a poor conversion rate. Use individual product links there or you'll make zip. Overstock is strickly promoted as impulse buys due to limited non-replaceable stock and a great price but requires lots of clicks. The niche' site or one with a difficult URL to remember is sure better than a Buy.com or Dell.com for us normal affiliates.

I'm sure CJ has lots of niche' merchants whereas LS and BF have the major branders who can afford their higher monthly fees. I guess I'll have to look over the selections and choose some new merchants this year to promote with showcase pages.

Leader,

I never stop learning form your GREAT posts, they are not only an asset to ABW but to affiliate marketing as a whole!

Thank You!

Haiko

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    @ All who said "thanks"--you're welcome!

Good stuff from Leader --- Four Steps To Online Profits.

1. Build A Site With One Page Of Content And Get Accepted To An Ad Network.

2. Find A Merchant (Product or Service) That Can Convert Traffic To Sales And Build A 'Merchant Information' Page That Tells YOUR
    traffic the benefits of buying and to go BUY NOW. Post It On Your Site.

3. Get Targeted Traffic To Visit This Sales Page. Sales Will Happen.

4. Repeat Until Rich.

If you have a sales page that makes $1/day on average you make $30 per month - 10 sales pages that make just $1/day and you make $300 per month.

You can now either try to boost the monthly average per page to $2/day or ad more sites or do both.

10 sales pages making you $5/day is $1,500 per month.

Good luck.

TGO,
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What ? What ? What ? Why ?

Hmm..Could u let us know ?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You didn't think she was leaving ABW, did you? LOL! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Sorry if I mislead you TGO, or anyone else for that matter. I blame it on my English, sorry. Leader always writes great posts, but this one was something very special (at least I felt that way). She was on a roll for that post. That's all I meant. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Yaaiih,
    Alex, lol
    I was sure leader woudnt quit abw, i thought perhaps she is taking a vacation....lol...haha

Take Care
    Regards
    TGO

LOL!

I don't know when she is taking a vacation, but I will inform you FIRST when I get to know that. LOL!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

What would I have done differently? I would have hit the cj forums a lot earlier and read all of Leader's posts and started to follow the instructions right away. Instead I spent a year building a wonderful content site (it does pay in link pop, at least), and another couple of months of watching it not pay the server fees until I got around to cju.

I spent a lot of time at first making pages that didn't work either because I had aimed wrong, or the merchant was a vacuum (sucked). Then one or two pages worked and things started to click.

I recently took on 5 folks to try to teach how to do this. They all either had no other real income options or really wanted out of what they are doing for income. I gave them seriously detailed instructions. Only one of those 5 folks has done exactly what I said so as to have a model of what *works* rather than what doesn't. Okay, I also thought I could be smarter than everyone else on the net when I started. The point is that the one person has already earned $100 in a month from that one page. She is totally turned on about building more sites, and in fact has some really hot ideas. I'm pretty proud of her (and she's my sister).

My first sales site I chose because I mistakenly thought I needed to know something about what I was selling. Since most of the micro-pipetting companies don't have affiliate programs I chose coffee, the love of my addictions. Gong.

Next few sites were built almost simultaneously, trying to theme them. I think it helps me keep my links more organized, and maybe it helps in the search engines (though this month some pages seriously slipped).

I'd spend a lot more time learning PHP and MySQL and Perl. I still will, maybe next year [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img].

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread