Recruitment of Affliliates
    I'm planning the lauch of our new affiliate program at Jigsaw2order and had a few questions and thoughts for those of you that have already launched your programs.

1. Is it better to recruit as many affiliates as possible or be selective about recruitment. The stats in other posts seem to claim that only 1-2% of affiliate are actually active. This seems very low. Would anyone else like to share experiences or thoughts on this?

2. Is it therefore better to keep your affiliate program relatively private and seek out affiliate partners who have websites that will drive qualified traffic? Or is it better to be open about recruitment and be selective about who you accept into your scheme. At this point, I should say that we are planning to go with SAS so there will be some level of approval by them of affiliate before they can join our program.

3. Its June now and I was just wondering if the Summer was not a bad time to luanch a new program with many people of vacation. Any points of view on this?

I would welcome any view from Merchants or Affiliate regarding the above.

Thanks guys,
    Colin Southwell
    Jigsaw2order.com

Internet Cowboy
    First of all, welcome.

I am not an affiliate manager, but my perspective is that you never know which affiliate is going to get busy and build a site at any give time. If you screen affiliates out because their site is not related or if they appear to be newbies etc. you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Case in I have a new site that I just launched a few weeks ago and I am making numerous sales with a few merchants that I have not made sales with previously, but I have belonged to their programs for over a year. When the site was launched, I was in their programs and didn't have to wait to be approved so they got the top spots on the new site.

Just as a good salesman never prejudges his customers and their ability to to buy, a good AM does not prejudge his affiliates.

Just my opinions. Others here will disagree I am sure.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    With some networks it is very important to avoid opening up the flood gates to any and every Affiliate. Damage to your brand, your Affiliates being ripped off and vendors getting upset with how they're being presented out there on the web are just a few of the things to worry about..

*but*

Since you're going with SAS you're good to go they're one of the good ones protecting merchants from rouge Affiliates.

As far as recruiting, a great tool we use to review sites before reaching out to them is Siteadvisor.com. If you don't already know about Siteadvisor I think you'll find it very helpful. Good luck with your new program.

Re timing I don't think you should wait just because it's summer. It might be a bit slower but it gives you time to shake out the bugs and hone your recruitment process.

-Peter
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

Cool site and concept I must say.

Love jigsaw puzzles, and love photographs.....I think the concept is a GREAT idea! (why did'nt i think of this..ha ha) I agree, if this is considered the slow time this will benefit you so you can go through your trial and error process, and straighten out all the kinks.

Good luck !

Thanks for the input folks and comments about our site. Much appreciated.

UncleScooter - I do agree with you that you never know who will be the next rising star. I guess the trick is to have a good quality FAQ for newby affiliates that answers a lot of the basic questions. I think I will go with your advice and keep recuitment open.

Gary-AvantLink -
    Since you're going with SAS you're good to go they're one of the good ones protecting merchants from rouge Affiliates.
    That's one of the reasons that I want to sign up with these guys. I just feel a lot safer with them and hopefully my affiliates will also feel safer that I'm with them.

As far as recruiting, a great tool we use to review sites before reaching out to them is Siteadvisor.com. If you don't already know about Siteadvisor I think you'll find it very helpful.
    Just checked into this and what a great tool. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this.

Regarding timing, I don't really want to hold back anyway. If will also give affiliates a chance to get their links into place before out high season starting Sep/Oct and give us some experience.

Thanks guys,
    Colin Southwell
    Jigsaw2order.com

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I have 2 on my website - buried on page 5 of my "Photo Gifts" section - yet they both sell

These 2 merchants pay 30% and 35% respectively, and your competitor at SAS pays 20%. So I hope you're planning on a good commission

Your custom 20 x 24 puzzle sells for $54.95

The one we feature is 18 x 24 and comes in a Custom Gift Tin (also with the pic on the tin), yet sells for only $39.95

So you're prices may be more then my customers are used to

Billy Kay -
    I have 2 on my website - buried on page 5 of my "Photo Gifts" section - yet they both sell
    Excellent - Glad to hear that you are getting clicks and commisions from these links - expecially as they are buried on page 5! Very encouraging for us.

Our commissions and launch promotions are not finalized yet so your comments are food for thought. What I can say is that we offer some of the largest personalized puzzles on the web. I don't beleve anyone else is offering 1200 and 1500 piece personalized puzzles. With larger sales values, this is a great opportunity for affiliates to make money. PM me if you want more details.

Colin Southwell
    jigsaw2order.com

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw2order
    PM me if you want more details.
    Colin, people can't pm you yet, you will need to have them contact you via email or other means.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hi Loxly

Oops, sorry I did not realize that. Thanks for pointing this out. I guess the best way to contact me then is via the e-mail address given on our website.

I also better get on and post some more.

thanks,
    Colin Southwell
    jigsaw2order.com

... or you could go to SAS, set up your program and pay for an ad when your up and running?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Hi Haiko,

I am planning to announce the new program here on the "New Affiliate Programs and Announcements" forum. Don't worry - I will be in touch.

Colin Southwell
    jigsaw2order.com

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Cool
    About the active affiliates thing. I am a newbie and I have started getting some emails to the tone of ... We notice things are slow are you sure you are promoting xyz site to the best of your ability. I will admit I may have bit off more than I could chew in my initial choice of number of programs but I am starting to flesh out the pages and slowly people are moving beyond the landing pages and starting to see other pages I have been developing content for each merchant and slowly that content is getting out there but unfortunatly due to the nature of the site some merchants may not get content for some time to boot. (although I am speeding up that process) I have also started spreading the ads out more so that the consumer isnt flooded with ads (I know Leader would hate that but it is a fact that my site concept was to be a content site with advertising and donation support and not a mall) That being said I am starting to get some good solid hits repeat visits are starting to happen and some of them have started to convert. I have had 4 sales and they were all in the last 10 days (2 were people I knew as tracking cause I was getting concerned that something wasn't working but they did track and two more. I feel that given time any affiliate who doesn't give up should be able to generate something for you (provided they also learn from thier mistakes and grow) I would suggest that you point any new affiliate to ABW for a crash course in avoiding most of these mistakes (or at least good advice for surviving them once they make them) Anyway I hope that the AM's who are concerned have seen enough progress to make them feel that something positive is happening and we can continue a LONG and prosperous relationship.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread