Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Google's GBuy to launch June 28th - Competes with Paypal
    Forbes article on the subject:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2006/0...markets09.html

Consumers using GBuy, which is set for release on June 28, will be taken off the merchant's site to complete the payment. This will enable Google (nasdaq: GOOG - news - people ) to capture e-commerce transaction data, driving more precise targeting in future searches.
    Will you move to it? Will you use it jointly? On your e-commerce site? Auctions?

Google will charge 1.5% to 2%, in-line slighly bleow that of PayPal.
    Rates are decent.

Tax Paying Member
    I for one am getting paranoid about anyone who handles my data, including my local bank................

Almost want to deal in cold cash again (provided the ink is not wet)
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I'll sign up with them. Nice to see ebay get some competition. Now I would just love to see Google Auctions coming next.

“will be taken off the merchant's site to complete the payment.”

As a merchant I hate sending customers away from my site. It would be a big challenge to get the data for the merchants use. It also creates an issue for tracking an affiliate sale.

“This will enable Google to capture e-commerce transaction data”

If G knows how many visitors you have, what your conversion is, and how much you can afford to pay for a click, they will know how far to push for PPC and other merchant fees.

If you trust the old G motto “don’t be evil” then it’s no big deal. I for one believe the old saying “Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely”. Have you stopped to think for one minute about what you could do with all that info (search clicks, toolbar data, G analytics, adwords data, froogle data, gmail data)

I suppose market forces may compel merchants to use Gbuy, but we will have to see.

-Sid

Sid:

That's just it, paypal is absolute in power right now. GBuy will at least give some competition to paypal and perhaps bring down some costs, and not have absolute control.

Myself, I use a merchant account (have for years) to process my credit card transactions as it's a lot cheaper than paypal ever dreamed of being.

Just as I keep my balance as low as possible (like $0) on paypal I will do the same for Gbuy.

ABW Ambassador
    I think it'll be as competitive as Google Talk is to other messengers out there. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I think it'll be as competitive as Google Talk is to other messengers out there. Time will tell.
    I disagree. Google Talk is/was competing with multiple players in a FREE arena. YIM, AIM, and ICQ are the leaders. They are all free.

It's obvious that Google released Talk to be added to Gmail and now Google Spreadsheets.

GBuy on the other hand is entering an arena dominated by ONE player and one that charges far too much. Just as several advertisers (and networks like Axill) have moved to moneybooker.com to lower their costs, GBuy will open up more to them with a much larger name-brand recognition.

You not only have a lower rate but the competitor is no small contender. People have been trying to come up with paypal alternatives for years and have failed. I don't think google will fail in this market. There is a HUGE need for another competitor that people know the name.

IHMO.

ABW Ambassador
    Some good points, they do have a history of keeping things "beta" which might keep some away. They still have Froogle in beta:

http://froogle.google.com/

We'll see how this one works out, some interesting discussion over here:
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum86/4534.htm

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    I disagree.

GBuy on the other hand is entering an arena dominated by ONE player and one that charges far too much. Just as several advertisers (and networks like Axill) have moved to moneybooker.com to lower their costs, GBuy will open up more to them with a much larger name-brand recognition.

You not only have a lower rate but the competitor is no small contender. People have been trying to come up with paypal alternatives for years and have failed. I don't think google will fail in this market. There is a HUGE need for another competitor that people know the name.

IHMO.
    on all counts.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I know it's being discussed on webmasterworld, but I hate their forum script. I have been a member there for a long time, but I prefer vbulletin based sites, and a couple of other types. Theirs has a lot to be desired as far as the end-user is concerned.

ABW Ambassador
    The less information any one single company has about my websites, the better I like it. A website using Google Analytics and GBuy will be passing on every bit of relevant information to Google - where their traffic comes from, how much they get, what pages people look at, what they buy and in what quantities.

There is no need to give away this extremely valuable information - there are other analytics solutions out there; there are cheaper merchant accounts.

The irony here is that you would be paying Google for the privilege of data mining your website. Madness.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    The less information any one single company has about my websites, the better I like it. A website using Google Analytics and GBuy will be passing on every bit of relevant information to Google - where their traffic comes from, how much they get, what pages people look at, what they buy and in what quantities.

There is no need to give away this extremely valuable information - there are other analytics solutions out there; there are cheaper merchant accounts.

The irony here is that you would be paying Google for the privilege of data mining your website. Madness.
    If your traffic primarily comes from Google then I guess they already know.

You don't think that other search engines or companies aren't analyzing and gather data as well?

I see Gbuy as primarily another means for Google to bring in more revenue. Unlike other beta products/services they offer this one actually has a percentage attached to it. I mean Spreadsheets, Base, Froogle, etc are free and thus just costing them a bit of money (though attracting and building a base of customers).

However, Gbuy is another way to build a revenue stream. This is good in many respects I think. They also said a year or more ago they would NEVER offer service like paypal. Yet, here it comes. They also said the same thing about an auction site.

ABW Ambassador
    You don't think that other search engines or companies aren't analyzing and gather data as well?
    Of course they are. I'm not sure what your point is, though.

Google Checkout has launched at:

http://checkout.google.com/

I already joined and signed up.

Naked,

GoogleCheckout isn't the same as Gbuy.

Google Checkout™ is a checkout process that you integrate with your website, enabling your customers to buy from you quickly and securely, using a single username and password.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I don't think Gbuy is going to exist. This is what Google originally intended, it's the rumors that modified it.

http://checkout.google.com/sell/ (for sellers)

This is Gbuy, just not what people thought it would be exactly. That is what I am reading from other forums and sites.

Your right, I was wrong - it's the darn clothes I tell ya!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

LOL! Haiko I still like ya!

The less information any one single company has about my websites, the better I like it.

I agree Mark. Amazon is a great example. They allow merchants to post products on amazon and amazon takes the orders and a percentage of the sale. After amazon figures out which items sell the best, they buy and sell the items themselves. They also continue to market to YOUR customer.

If your traffic primarily comes from Google then I guess they already know.
    If you use Gbuy they will know MUCH more then they do now. There is a huge difference between G and the rest of the search world.

For instance, right now G can spot a niche market by search terms and number of available websites. With Gbuy, ganalitics, accounts etc they know the market, geographical locations and margins on the products. They can now sell this info or use it themselves. When shareholders are screaming for growth you will find them getting vary creative.

Too much info for one entity. IMHO

As if other companies don't gather information on you? Paypal does for certain.

Talking

I'll continue to use paypal to pay for text links.

As if other companies don't gather information on you? Paypal does for certain.
    Yes, but they don't know how much traffic you have, what your margins are, how much you pay (or can pay) for advertising etc. When you put it all together its incredibly powerful information. I wish I had it.... don't we precious.

Hmmm I wonder how/if affiliate sales are tracked with the G checkout. Anyone know? I imagine there is some way to move the info over to the G cart.

Any updates on Gbuy. Any programs integrate it as a payment option?

-Allison Vivas

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    I for one am getting paranoid about anyone who handles my data, including my local bank................

Almost want to deal in cold cash again (provided the ink is not wet)

You can create a new , empty bank account just for business and use it on paypal or google, that way no one can steal even if they wanted to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast