Cleaning Out Dead Merchants?
    I have been slowly ending relationships with Merchants which fail to perform on one of my busiest sites. Some have not produced a sale in a year even though they are well known companies. I'm torn though, because I don't know if having them listed gives my site more credibility or not? One I deleted was Lane Bryant, for example. For whatever reason, I just can't seem to produce sales with them and I've kept them listed for 18 months without one transaction. Lane Bryant is a popular plus-size company though, so it surprises me that it fails to produce.

Anywayyyy.. I'm just wondering if it's better to keep non-producers who are well known or go ahead and end the relationship regardless of their name...

Thanks,
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Internet Cowboy
    I have some merchants on my sites only because they are national brands and I believe it puts a customer at ease.

If someone is questioning your site, perhaps if they see Sears or someone of the like it will ease their mind.

I agree with your logic.

I don't know that I've ever removed a merchant for non-performance. Their exposure gets dramatically decreased and I put much less (or no) additional effort into promoting them, but I can't think that I've ever removed one for non-performance.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    As far as Lane Bryant how many clicks without a sale? They're not the highest converting merchant for me either but they do ok. Did you use the coupons they have available? They have a few of those. Some good ones. They have some $ coupons for a third off, a free shipping one ($75+) a 20% off any order etc

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I pulled 2 biggies (name brand) from my site after 2 or more years of non-conversions and never looked back. I, too, kept them on my site for the benefit of my visitors and for the "prestige" but as soon as I removed or replaced them, I started making money so I don't bother with a merchant, no matter how well-known, if they don't convert.

Sadly, the big names can tend not to convert which always strikes me as ludicrous. I don't trust that they're reporting or tracking sales properly. Seems the bigger they are, the worse they convert. Shouldn't be like that at all.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    "Seems the bigger they are, the worse they convert."

I've actually seen the opposite. I've always found it to be easier to convert with merchants people have actually heard of. But that's affiliate marketing for you

Sometimes you could just keep them as bait if they're not working for you. Someone might get to your site and think they want to shop at one merchant and you can position some possibilities around that merchant.

Internet Cowboy
    I am 50% with Lane Bryant this month. They are rocking for me.

Funny how they don't convert for one and do well with another.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1

I've actually seen the opposite. I've always found it to be easier to convert with merchants people have actually heard of. But that's affiliate marketing for you

Sometimes you could just keep them as bait if they're not working for you. Someone might get to your site and think they want to shop at one merchant and you can position some possibilities around that merchant.
    Go figure huh? It might be the quality of the programs for me. I think all the biggies I was promoting were infected with CTDs but I've moved on and not sure I want to go back. Couldn't stand the agro.

Thanks for the advice, though.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I tend to keep the "nonperformers" on, but mainly because I don't feel I've sent them enough opportunities yet.

However, I've bounced a few nobodies who were actually affiliates looking like merchants. That particular real estate is worth more without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    I tend to keep the "nonperformers" on, but mainly because I don't feel I've sent them enough opportunities yet.

However, I've bounced a few nobodies who were actually affiliates looking like merchants. That particular real estate is worth more without them.
    Guess it comes down to how much time or how many clicks we each feel comfortable with before pulling the plug.

I start getting nervous after a few hundred clicks but will usually give them so much rope they hang big time. I've been known to wait more than 4000 clicks without a sale before I swallowed hard and ripped a merchant, even though I "just knew" they'd be "perfect" for my visitors. After that many clicks without a sale, one has to wonder WTF is going on behind the scenes that we cannot see. Maybe if they communicated with us at that point and offered to see what's up and try to figure out WHY, I'd stay. Have had this happen quite a few times and it makes me stick with them for a while anyway. Some have turned around and started to covert enough to make me leave them but if they still don't convert after thousands, there's a problem somewhere.

I'd rather make money in those spots. Sometimes I've written to a merchant, asking if they could tell me what I"M doing wrong (if anything) so I can get their links to convert. Most don't answer or else they get defensive and/or *****y. That tells me something else I don't like about them and would never go back.

Someone should start a poll: What's your level of tolerance before you pull links?

I'd do it but I'm on my way out the door. Someone else go for it if it sounds like a good idea. If it still sounds like a good idea and I get back and no one's started it, I will.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1

I find it depends on how easy it is to go to their brick-n-mortar instead of shopping online. Out of the big names, the best for me are the ones that may have 5 or 6 stores out in California or NY or somewhere, so they may have heard of them (or their relatives/friends have mentioned them)--but they don't have enough physical coverage to compete with the Net in most areas.

But I *really* like the small stores that have 1 or 0 physical locations. Especially when they have things the Big Names don't carry.

I pulled 2 biggies (name brand) from my site after 2 or more years of non-conversions and never looked back. I, too, kept them on my site for the benefit of my visitors and for the "prestige" but as soon as I removed or replaced them, I started making money so I don't bother with a merchant, no matter how well-known, if they don't convert.
    I'm not too hasty about dumping nonconverters, but if I see that they're eating a lot of clicks from my sites (which probably would have converted, if they didn't get sidetracked to the dud), then they're gone. I make sure they've had enough clicks for me to tell what's going on, though.

ABW Ambassador
    "I've been known to wait more than 4000 clicks without a sale before I swallowed hard and ripped a merchant,"

I don't have that level of tolerance With just about any merchant I expect something every 100 clicks, usually a few sales. If I don't get a sale around 200-300, I suspect something is wrong.

Yeah, with no sales after 4000 clicks, I would think either

-It's a crappy merchant, lots of leaks, out of stock items, crappy prices etc.
    or
    -something's wrong techncally with the links/tracking.

Either way I would prefer not to be promoting that company!

lol.. I ran a report from Jan. 2004 to present for Lane Bryant (and update the coupons allllllll the time). Here are the stats:

Imp: 364
    Click-thr:171
    C/I(%) - 46.98%
    # of Orders - 1
    # of items - 1
    o/c - 0.58%
    Sale - $31.60
    Comm - $1.58

Unreal huh? lol.. oh well.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Look - I've been on the merchant side for quite a while plus done it all on the affiliate side for almost as long and because im in the mood, im gonna give you a tip:

-drop the under performing merchants and increase profitability

-keep 'em and maintain your volume

If you can estabilsh the balance between the two - you will be referred to as a genius in some circles

.... by the way - don't watch England play in the world cup if you want to keep any secrets

Cheers

Paul

I pull after about six months from the site, but keep the relationship just in case I might have a new site that might do better with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul@BetUSA
    Look - I've been on the merchant side for quite a while plus done it all on the affiliate side for almost as long and because im in the mood, im gonna give you a tip:

-drop the under performing merchants and increase profitability

-keep 'em and maintain your volume
    This doesn't make sense to me. Anyone care to explain?

If you can estabilsh the balance between the two - you will be referred to as a genius in some circles

.... by the way - don't watch England play in the world cup if you want to keep any secrets

Cheers

Paul[/QUOTE]
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    This doesn't make sense to me. Anyone care to explain?

Cheers

Paul
    [/QUOTE]
    I took to mean --
    Some circles will refer to you as a genius if between the two you can establish the balance.
    ---- And ---- If you want to keep secrets don't watch England play in the world cup.

There, did that help clear it up Rexanne? lol....
    leeann

I took to mean --
    Some circles will refer to you as a genius if between the two you can establish the balance.
    ---- And ---- If you want to keep secrets don't watch England play in the world cup.

There, did that help clear it up Rexanne? lol.... [/QUOTE]

No but thanks for trying. It just seemed like he was saying 2 different things and I was trying to grasp the big ol' "secret."
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I took to mean --

There, did that help clear it up Rexanne? lol....
    No but thanks for trying. It just seemed like he was saying 2 different things and I was trying to grasp the big ol' "secret." [/QUOTE]

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me either.
    leeann

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread