Another question from a newbie
    Hi again,

Sorry if these questions come across as stupid - I'm still learning.

Question 1. So I have a new content site up. I'm a little slow in getting articles up but I'm working on them when I get home from work etc. Right now I have 3 up, with another 15 or so on the planning table. I've read to get google interested in your site you have to have links to it from similar styled sites. Okay fine, but doesn't that mean you are asking for a competitor to link to your site? Maybe I'm missing something there?

Question 2. These affiliate sites I read about that people seem to be making money from. How do they work? I understand you put a banner up for a product and hope someone clicks it. Is that it? I've never seen what an affiliate site looks like (note: I am not asking anyone to show me their affiliate site), nor would I recognise one if I saw it. I imagine a page/site crammed full of ads. What then prompts a person to click on one of those ads? Are there anything else on the site / page besides ads? If there is content where do you get content from? Surely you can't be expected to be an expert in everything that you have to write content for things too?

For example, I see a few people mention they sell shoes. For me, I know nothing about shoes. I might buy a pair once every 4 or 5 years (I don't even know what size shoe I take). So how would I sell shoes? I certainly couldn't write about them - I know nothing about them.

I'm not saying I want to sell shoes - I just used that as an example. Replace shoes for ink or whatever else people sell.

Sure ABW has a ton of information. I paid for access to the "inner circle" but I don't think anyone posts in there. I'm yet to see not necessarily a hand holding guide, more a "okay so you are just starting out, here is a step by step guide to begin with an example of what you should look out for." Being seasoned affiliates is great, but how did you start? What was your first step. Literally. Did you just wake up and say hey I'm going to sell shoes today and just make stuff up in order to get content on a page or do did you just put up a page full of nothing but shoe ads?

Can you see what I'm getting at? I'm overwhelmed with top level info, but right now I'm looking for that lower level info. The stuff that gives me a clue as to which path I should be looking more into.

Again I am not asking to see people's sites, nor am I asking for anyone to do it for me. I'm happy to work my butt off to make this happen for me. My job is literally killing me so I need to be away from it and I see content sites and affiliate marketing as the way to go. I'm not a marketing expert so my worry is, I have no idea how to begin. I tried to find affiliate style sites (bare in mind I never buy stuff from the net. I'm in Australia and we, generally speaking, don't buy on the net, it's way too expensive) but I just kept getting hits about "how to make 10 billion dollars in 4 days" type results.

Hmm sorry if I sounded all whingey there, that's not how I intended it. Frustrated isn't even the right word. More I'm very eager to do this, and I want to absolutely do it properly. I know what to do AFTER I have started, it's that starting point I'm finding difficult to get info on.

Does any of that make sense?
    Last edited by nmau; June 15th, 2006 at 01:39 AM. Reason: typos

Here are some of my opinions (in red). Please note that I'm not an expert by any means, there are far more qualified people here than I to give you advice. But I thought I'd throw my 2-cents in anyway until someone else can come and add some additional info.

Hopefully we'll get someone else to chime in soon...

Quote Originally Posted by nmau
    Hi again,

Sorry if these questions come across as stupid - I'm still learning.

Question 1. So I have a new content site up. I'm a little slow in getting articles up but I'm working on them when I get home from work etc. Right now I have 3 up, with another 15 or so on the planning table. I've read to get google interested in your site you have to have links to it from similar styled sites. Okay fine, but doesn't that mean you are asking for a competitor to link to your site? Maybe I'm missing something there? No, not necessarily. You can still have plenty of link backs from relevant sites - but not necessarily your competition (think gnerally of clothes, and then shoes. I bet having links between these two would be of some relevance, without any competition involved) Once you do some thorough research into your niche, you'll come to this realization.

Question 2. These affiliate sites I read about that people seem to be making money from. How do they work? I understand you put a banner up for a product and hope someone clicks it. Is that it? I've never seen what an affiliate site looks like (note: I am not asking anyone to show me their affiliate site), nor would I recognise one if I saw it. I imagine a page/site crammed full of ads. What then prompts a person to click on one of those ads? Are there anything else on the site / page besides ads? If there is content where do you get content from? Surely you can't be expected to be an expert in everything that you have to write content for things too? A lot of people write content for themselves, including myself. No, you do not necessarily have to be an expert to write basic articles in your niche. One of the main reasons I write content is to also help me do the research - which will make me more knowledgeable in that area. Also, there are plenty of people who purchase the services of content writers as well - they are specialized in writing articles (usually on a wide variety of niches) for good prices. They'll also do some SEO work in the article itself.

For example, I see a few people mention they sell shoes. For me, I know nothing about shoes. I might buy a pair once every 4 or 5 years (I don't even know what size shoe I take). So how would I sell shoes? I certainly couldn't write about them - I know nothing about them. You should research, research, research. If it's a hot market, and you want in, it's the only way to do it - otherwise you'll just sit around wishing all day. Also, even though content is king, and most people will tell you to revolve your site around content, the amount of content is always up for grabs. You don't need to write a thesis for each product in your site. A paragraph might do.

I'm not saying I want to sell shoes - I just used that as an example. Replace shoes for ink or whatever else people sell.

Sure ABW has a ton of information. I paid for access to the "inner circle" but I don't think anyone posts in there. I'm yet to see not necessarily a hand holding guide, more a "okay so you are just starting out, here is a step by step guide to begin with an example of what you should look out for." Being seasoned affiliates is great, but how did you start? By doing. What was your first step. More jumping in, less thinking... Literally. Did you just wake up and say hey I'm going to sell shoes today and just make stuff up in order to get content on a page or do did you just put up a page full of nothing but shoe ads? There are plenty of people here who have knowledge in a lot of different niches. I'm sure if the lack of knowledge scared any one of them, they quelled it quickly by getting out there and: reading articles, studying other competitors' sites, seeing how well it might fit into their game plans. The first site I built was a bit scary, but it was more fun than anything else. It wasn't until I made my first sale that all the walls came tumbling down.

Can you see what I'm getting at? I'm overwhelmed with top level info, but right now I'm looking for that lower level info. The stuff that gives me a clue as to which path I should be looking more into. If you continue to look at all of the things at one time, you'll be overwhelmed, and will likely stop doing this. Try starting with a smaller perspective, and just picking a niche first..don't worry whether you'll miss out on a good one, or are getting a horrible one. No one expects anyone to succeed massively in their first try (doesn't mean that you won't either). Not taking that first step though is killer though...

Again I am not asking to see people's sites, nor am I asking for anyone to do it for me. I'm happy to work my butt off to make this happen for me. My job is literally killing me so I need to be away from it and I see content sites and affiliate marketing as the way to go. I'm not a marketing expert so my worry is, I have no idea how to begin. I tried to find affiliate style sites (bare in mind I never buy stuff from the net. I'm in Australia and we, generally speaking, don't buy on the net, it's way too expensive) but I just kept getting hits about "how to make 10 billion dollars in 4 days" (you need to ignore anything that promises you monetary results in a specific amount of time - it's always BS, at least in my and a lot of other peoples' experiences) type results.

Hmm sorry if I sounded all whingey there, that's not how I intended it. Frustrated isn't even the right word. More I'm very eager to do this, and I want to absolutely do it properly. I know what to do AFTER I have started, it's that starting point I'm finding difficult to get info on.

You're doing exactly what I did about 4 years ago - taking it all in at once, and scaring yourself away. This time around, I decided to just pick a topic that I work with on a somewhat regular basis, and just go with it. Next thing you know, I had signed up for all of the correct merchants and networks. Not to long after that, I had my very first basic page up and running. Shortly after that, I started a PPC campaign. Shortly after that I was making a positive profit. After that, I contentrated more and made a bigger/better site, which is now bringing more money in. And between then and now, I've rinsed, and repeated. Now it's a bit of a game of quality and numbers...

Does any of that make sense?
    Yes..very much so. You can build an empire in your head...but it's not worth a penny unless you actually do something about it...

edit: by the way, for future reference, you'll do better in getting responses by keeping the posts a bit shorter. A lot of people scan read, and are looking for the hard facts (or questions in your case) as quickly as possible...
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

I think you're right, I am overwhelmed with information. I have read this site and several thousand posts on it and now I have information over load. I am ingorning the make X amount in X days things. The only people that make money from that are the people running the scam.

Sorry for the length, I had a lot I needed to get out

I'm going to put my content site up for review. Maybe people can comment on it and make suggestions. All the writing on it is mine so I am eager to hear what people think of it.

So in a nut shell, an affiliate site is a content site with some banner ads on it?

I honestly though it was just a page full of nothing but ads.

Quote Originally Posted by nmau
    So in a nut shell, an affiliate site is a content site with some banner ads on it?

I honestly though it was just a page full of nothing but ads.

An affiliate site can be any kind of site with affiliate links in it. It can be a simple datafeed site where the products are taken from a datafeed from the merchant and that's it. Or, it can be as thorough (and probably the best way) by having a good amount of content intertwined with the affiliate links (like you mentioned).

Also, in most cases, there are two types of affiliate links: regular text links, graphical links - banner.

Anyway, put the site up for review here. You should get a good number of people looking at it who can give you some good advice.

I think you're right, I am overwhelmed with information. I have read this site and several thousand posts on it and now I have information over load. I am ingorning the make X amount in X days things. The only people that make money from that are the people running the scam.
    You should probably dump this approach for now, and stick to figuring out a good starting point, and learning as much about that as possible. Once you figured that out, break it down into the next logical step, and so forth. Otherwise it'll just sit in your head like a big mass of junk..

If you've already got a content site going, the next couple of steps might involve optimizing your site for the search engines, and also figuring out which merchants will fit right with your site.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    An affiliate site can be any kind of site with affiliate links in it.

If you've already got a content site going, the next couple of steps might involve optimizing your site for the search engines, and also figuring out which merchants will fit right with your site.
    Good advice. A good site takes time and it doesn't happen overnight. As your site grows, people will find you and link to you. Many without being asked. (if the content is good)

As far as links to or from competitors. A site about coffee can exchange links with a kitchen site or recipe site. A site about the theater can exchange with a celebrity site or a costume site. Look for similar interests.

How did I get started - by writing about what I was interested in. Then finding products that fit. Write some more - repeat. (notice the content came before the product)

I think it may be harder now than it was. But I also think there is room more good sites. It just takes longer.

Good Luck!!
    Ebudae

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread