View Poll Results: How many clicks with no sales do you tolerate?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

4 21.05%

7 36.84%

1 5.26%

5 26.32%
  • More than 1000

2 10.53%
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    What's Your Tolerance Level
    How many clicks without any sales before you pull a merchant off your pages? Vote!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Arghhhhh there's a TYPO in the poll title ... can't edit it :-( Sorry!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    TYPO in the poll title
    No clickie no tickie is kinda cute, but clicke sounds like olde english. Actually, if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed.

How many clicks in how long a period of time, aside from just the click count? Like 1K clicks in a month is a far cry from 1K clicks in a year, but I think we have to look at the numbers both ways - per month and long term.

It all depends. If you really need the products to fill in a blank area in a themed site and can find no other merchant, you may leave them up forever just so the site makes sense and holds together well.

I have some real dogs that I leave up for just that reason.

Trust me. I would rather have merchants that convert on those pages. But, what's a mother to do? They are better than empty pages or a site that looks like you don't know the products should be there if it is tightly themed.

At least, people keep coming back to the site and buying other stuff. The appearance of a well stocked site is better even if some of the merchants are real dogs. The same is true of brick and mortar stores. Empty shelves do not inspire confidence.

Plus, if it was a waste of time putting them up, why waste even more time taking them down unless you have something better? Just go on to something else. Maybe, they will sell eventually. A few sales here and there may eventually pay you for the time you invested in putting them up.

But, I sure as hell don't update them!!
    Last edited by SSanf; June 15th, 2006 at 07:04 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    ABWers should band together and single out merchants where the majority of us do not get sales showing up after 1000 clicks. That baby is the pain threshold. Every affiliate here knows somehing about their sites traffic and quality of their creatives to focus shoppers before the click. Ask/demand the OUTED merchants, NETorious for poor conversion ratios, activate a per click bonus equal to a minimum PPCSE keyword bid.

Take out the couponers from the per/click bonus, as they do not influence the shopper during the pre-sell new customer acquisition mode. They exist to set cookies at the Point Of Sale. The merchants could be selective and put up specific product, or product category, and build creative links required on affiliates pages for the click bonus to take effect. Apps like GoldenCan and the PSC require a physical click and on-page exposure so they fill a broad line requirement for these non-converting merchants.

It pisses me off to no end that merchants Like Bonsai Boys of NY, who control the Bonsai Tree marketplace, complain to me they can't afford paying 25+ cents/click at major PPCSE's. Yet they can easily afford to run affiliate programs at SAS and CJ since 2001. Why? Because their untargeted, unfocused or specific product motivated traffic converts at a steady 1 sale per 100 click basis from natural SERPs since 2001. My pages and showcase links from natural SERP bonsai traffic converted at a steady 1 sale per 40 clicks for 2 years. www.ecomcity.com/bonsai.htm

This year, after 7000+ clicks from CJ and SAS links on that page, only 3 sales were reported. (2 were test purchases by the AM) 2000 of those clicks came from SAS links to specific products with only the test purchase showing up.

This is the type of merchant who should get ABW member pressure to impliment a per-click bonus, since even they can't figure out why that EcomCity page's traffic converts 10 times worse then untargeted natural SERP traffic. Every single visitor to that page came from bonsai buying SERP keywords and get exposed to a hell of a lot more then some PPCSE oneliner ...before they click through to BBNY.

I'm not whining here. I'm posing a equitable solution to Rexanne's poll post regarding legit affiliates not getting paid for sending very targeted traffic to specific merchants. Make them pay a minimum PPCSE type per/click fee (5 cents) from known physical click required creatives. Restricting the per click bonus to specific on-page showcase creatives would be childs play at SAS and CJ. Same applies at LS and Performics. You can bet merchant's like BBNY can't BUY 5 cent per click traffic better targeted then that coming from my page.... anywhere!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I'd LOVE a penny a click from one or two non-converters. But, then, they would, no doubt, make me remove their products and I would have blank pages and the site would look like crap because I don't have the right products.

On one, 14761 click throughs generated 19 sales which earned a grand total of $110.72! And, we have already ascertained that I am not alone in this experience with them.

On some things, you can't win.

On the other hand, one of my "dogs" generated a $118.28 commission, today. Damned about time. too!
    Last edited by SSanf; June 15th, 2006 at 10:45 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

A lot of it depends on how well of a match there is between the merchant and your site. I have one merchant that I'm promoting on three different sites. I get a 35X times higher conversion ratio with that merchant on my best-converting site compared to my worst-converting site.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Well, I don't know if the merchant is a match but the products I am showing from that merchant sure as heck are. They should sell.

I didn't vote because, frankly, I can't decide. I'm with SSanf on the "empty shelves" thought, but this is exactly why I love ABW. This is the kind of stuff we can learn from each other that helps everyone.

Last year about this time I complained about a merchant who didn't convert for me - I was ready to just pull them and stop thinking about it. Someone here advised me to wait through the Christmas season and see what happened. Not only did they start converting, but the sales during the "best" season helped me figure out which products people liked so I could build more similar choices.

Then a good competitor came along and I pitted them against each other, pointing out the strengths of each (isn't that what we do? - I'm starting to get a clue!) Now they both perform consistantly at about 1/50. The one I was going to pull made me $20 last night - wrong season and all.

I usually only pull when I find something about the site that annoys me or convinces me they aren't affiliate friendly or if they have crap that would make me look bad with reasonable customers like myself. Annoying or offensive is worse than non-converting when you're stocking the store.

If I had yanked my "dog" I would be $118.28 poorer, today.

I think if they bought that, they probably would NOT have bought anything else.

I don't remove the dogs or the ones with high reversals. I just don't waste time updating them. Also, they get moved lower on the page as I find other products. If the new products convert, they are gone next update so that they traffic will go to the converting merchant.

I try to keep my shelves stocked.

My tolerance level really depends upon the merchant. I have one merchant in particular that converts after about 700 clicks. I am very tolerant of this merchant because I earn a $500.00 commission. That is worth the wait for me.

I start looking hard around 500 clicks to see what I can do to help conversions.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

I'd rather have clicks than no clicks.

If I get lots of clicks in a short period of time without conversions, I'll wonder why.

What do you mean by:
    pull a merchant off your pages
    Permanently?

How about just rotate the links (whatever they may be: products, banners, whatever) with a different merchant who sells similar goods?

I usually rotate, if I "pulled" it would be for a different reason.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I voted 300 because I think I should be able to get sales with any merchant with 300 targetted clicks.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread