More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    PDF Copy Result in Penalty?
    Somebody requested permission to make pdf copies of my pages of presumably much of my site for use on a non-profit site. They would give me credit. My answer will be no since g**gle loves to rank non-profit's higher than other sites.

I would like to furnish a PDF printable alternative to major parts of my site however. Will this induce some sort of duplicate content penalty? I believe adoble pdf's content are spiderable since I had a non-profit pdf copy of a site of mine bump me off a while back.

I am using pdf995 however, a free pdf program. The pages I create with this do not seem to have spiderable content.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I'm pretty sure pdf995-generated PDF files are spiderable, just like ones created with Adobe.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I'm pretty sure pdf995-generated PDF files are spiderable, just like ones created with Adobe.
    Yes, you are correct. I just checked a pdf (pdf995) page I have indexed and
    it is showing the content in the search results.

So would a no-index tag prevent a penalty?
    <meta name="robots" content="noindex"> ??

I used this metatag on a page I have and it did not get indexed in google or msn. URL only is showing in yahoo but there seems to be no penalty on the original page in yahoo. Before placing the tag I got wiped out of google's serps. Several months later after placing the tag my original page returned to the rankings.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; June 15th, 2006 at 10:29 AM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread