How do you capitalize the {keyword} in adCenter ?
    When using dynamic text, is there a way to capitalize the {keyword}?

Example, if the user searches MSN for

"new york hotels"

and I use {keyword} in my ad, how can I get the query capitalized like "New York Hotels" instead? I've tried {Keyword} {KeyWord} and {KEYWORD}... I must be missing something obvious.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Use a Parameter insert instead. And in your uploaded keyword spreadsheet, dupe the keyword column into the correct param column and make sure you capitalize it there.

Way to go MSN! (thanks, Donuts, you're delicious and helpful)

ABW Ambassador

!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHoff
    Way to go MSN! (thanks, Donuts, you're delicious and helpful)
    Donuts is also our PPC Guru / Presenter in our AMC Seminars ... his presentation alone is worth flying to Chicago
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

15 years and counting
    ?

ABW Ambassador
    So basically you have to capitalize it yourself with MSN?

Yes, that's how I do it. If you use spreadsheets to upload your keywords, it's a snap. I have requested capitalization in the MSN dynamic keyword insertion tool, but my MSN rep will likely need to be told a few more times before it sinks in.

To call it manual is a little off... if you use bulk uploads and tools (macros, functions within Excel, scripts, etc), capaitalizing the parameter variables to work properly in MSN spreadsheet setups isn't all that manual.

There are several other interesting ways you can use MSN's dynamic insertion tool and, especially, their parameter insertion tools. If you start using them, they'll occur to you, like they did to me.

If pricing, sales or specials are part of your MSN ppc, you can thank me later for the params tip... read the help files, there's examples there to give you hints of it's power.

Donuts
    I know I shouldn't fess up to this but pretty much basically just don't understand a word of what you're saying. Or quite a few of the other posts about ppc. Since Andy referred to you as "PPC Guru" I don't expect you to share any secrets, but could you please suggest anywhere to visit to learn about it. I've visited a lot of sites and subscribed to their newsletters to try to learn since I have a Google credit that I have to use soon. Quite a bit of it is going way over my little brain and seems a bit overwhelming. I understand the concept of it and that it evidently gets down to a bidding war over words and how much you're willing to spend for certain keywords. Is there anywhere that helps teach you how to actually write an ad in simple easy to understand terms and any of the basic do's and don'ts.?

Honestly, I think my skills ALL come from experience (not a book or site or informed source). I don't know of any one place where you can learn what I've learned, about the different ppc engines and about what works and doesn't. Each effort is also unique is attack, approach, budget, market share and more - so often there's not a right answer, but an answer right for your situation.

The basics however, for MSN, are changing to fast right now for there to be a really good book - their system is new and changing - so a book written today will be badly out of date in less than 6 months. MSN has a decent blog, but it's much like some of the info here - a tad over the head of beginners.

If I were mentoring you, I'd suggest you start with Google and ignore all the noise you here about Y and M, G has much more traffic and is an easier to use system (cuz it's not changing as fast). Y is being overhauled completely for Fall of this year. MSN is changing as it goes. There are changes at G happening, but they integrate changes better than the others and the changes themselves are more subtle cuz they've been doing it longer than the others (or doing it well longer than the others).

So tune out everything but G. Learn G. Everything you do there pretty much applies at the others. Don't touch the scummy engines like miva, 7search, kanoodle and a 100 others - they're bunk and a TOTAL waste of time.

Get good at adwords and you can do well at Yahoo (formerly Overture) and MSN AdCenter.

If you're feeling lost, take the G tutorials over and over again until it makes rock solid sense: http://www.google.com/adwords/learningcenter/

If you're burning to buy a book, go with this one: "Winning Results with Google AdWords" by Andrew Goodman. This book won't get you to mastery (I argue none will - only practice will), but it's not a bad place to start.

Use that Google credit to learn... a good idea. And make sure you set your daily budget to an amount you can afford to throw in the toilet.

ABW is my favorite place - cuz we're not here to be guru's - including me. We're here to be affiliates. There are plenty here who will nudge you in the right direction as you grow down many affiliate paths.

Donuts
    Thank you very, very much for taking the time to answer my question I didn't mean to imply in any way that you thought of yourself as a guru only that Andy referred to you that way. I think if Andy refers to you that way, you must be pretty knowledgeable on the subject I defnitely do plan to start with Google (they're the ones that gave me the credit) I'm having a love affair with them right now anyway lol since they gave me the Google Analytics. I hadn't had any type of stats before and even though I don't understand everything about analyzing things yet it's really interesting. I would think having it should be helpful when doing the search with them.

Wish there were mentors online. lol It is hard in the beginning to really get a grasp on things cos there are an awful lot of opinions out there and it takes a while to wade through things to learn. I'm not putting myself down but computer illiterate really did describe me when I started.(at times not sure how much I've progressed lol ) Didn't have a college education and knew absolutely nothing about computers or being an affiliate. I have been very fortunate to have some very nice affiliate managers that have helped me learn things or steered me towards sites where I could learn. As I said, a lot of stuff does just go over my head and does get a bit overwhelming at times.
    Thanks for the word of caution regarding other search engines. I have been approached by several so that helps to know.
    Have a feeling I'll be making a trip this weekend for ink cartridges lol Gonna print out a lot of the google tutorials so I can study it offline. My husband kind of cringes when I even mention tutorials lol Been attempting some webinars online that are supposed to be but only have dial-up and don't always hear all the words. lol
    Dial-up has one good thing going for it. I'm able to keep working while online, keep a window for here open most of the time and while I'm waiting for pages to load I can keep popping in here to read stuff. lol I'll make a note of the name of the book and we'll see next time I'm at the book store. Think I may have a gc for one of them

That's really what I intended to do with Google. My expectations for it really is to learn more. Since they had given me the credit figured it was an opportunity to learn Am only planning on spending what they've given me for the credit.
    Said it before, but really do appreciate very much your taking the time to answer my question I like coming here just so I can learn. I've been able to learn things just from reading some of the posts. I'm kinda like a little sponge...just trying to soak up everything I can to learn and improve

I'm a sponge too. Lifelong passion for learning.

Good luck to you!

PS - if you're going to try to make this a real source of income, as a biz or just serious hobby, upgrade from dial-up access as soon as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts

If you're burning to buy a book, go with this one: "Winning Results with Google AdWords" by Andrew Goodman. This book won't get you to mastery (I argue none will - only practice will), but it's not a bad place to start.
    Purplebear, Donuts is right. If you do want to buy a book, buy that one. I can attest for the quality of information in this on. I've read it through about 4 times now, making sure to understand it all.

It, and the help of others, made understanding PPC (adwords specifically) a snap. It's inexpensive, but the knowledge in it is gold. Good luck!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Donusts - From one sponge to another lol thank you Yeap, I am really serious about trying to make this as a source of income. Not sure how well or if that will happen but am defnitely giving it my best effort. And...think I'm finally wearing my husband down. lol think we'll be upgrading soon.

Moneybusiness - thanks for your opinion on the book, too. 4 times huh? Hope my little brain doesn't have a complete meltdown. lol
    Thanks both of you for your well wishes Appreciate it

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts

PS - if you're going to try to make this a real source of income, as a biz or just serious hobby, upgrade from dial-up access as soon as you can.
    Tell her Donuts!!!

(hugs PB - u know I wuv ya!)

thanks donuts
    Good to know about the overhaul at Yahoo Search Marketing.

I've used G for awhile and just started using M, which I like so far.

I'm thinking about learning Yahoo, but will now wait until the new system is in place.

Any luck with Miva? They are offering a welcome bck special right now, but I'm not so keen on their content network.

Miva is a rip off. Don't bother. G, M, Y only and I strongly recommend skipping Y's content network altogether, the distribution partners are nasty. If you use G's content network, use their separate bidding feature and start at no more than 1/2 your G search network bid (I usually start it at 1/3rd my search side G bids and track roi and adjust from there). Right now, M has no content network for folks like us - so that's a non issue. So go with G search, then M search (algorithmic discounting for quality like G), then Y search (straight up bid system now usually means higher CPC, but overhaul coming this Fall), then test G's content side. Other than that, you're wasting your time and money and feeding the scumbags of the advertising world a very high percentage of the time.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    purplebear,

I took a look at your site, and based on what I see, PPC would most likely be a fantastic addition to your existing (I assume SEO-only) marketing of all your affiliate links on the site. It will likely bring up your profits dramatically if you do it carefully. As for PPC newbie resources: besides the highly regarded Andrew Goodman book that Donuts mentioned, you might want to buy/download the PDF ebook "GoogleCash" at googlecash.com by Chris Carpenter. I used it a lot getting into the PPC game. While some of it in the 2005 version is already dated, Chris updates it annually and is just about to release a 2006 version. If you buy it before he releases that, you still get the update since all updates are free for life.

The same guy along with another well-known PPC affiliate marketer started AdWordMentor.com a couple years ago, and this is another resource you might consider. It's a forum similar to this one, but "mentors" man it at all times and in my experience have been very responsive to questions. It's not horribly expensive (~$30/month and has a $3 trial price for the first 3 days). To be honest, I was a member of it for 3 months and learned a lot there, but had to quit as my college semester started and I didn't have time to dedicate to it so didn't want to pay monthly charges for nothing. I'm not sure how good it is at this point since it's been several months. But the moderators there were always nice guys and willing to answer almost all questions, even dumb ones. Unfortunately it has to be paid for with PayPal only which is a pain in the you-know-what, but it might be worth the investment. With its really cheap trial period, why not.

An affiliate friend of mine who was also on AdWordMentor (AWM) recently subscribed to Webprofitschool.com (WPS -- a newer paid subscription-based forum + extra resources) and she says it's great for people moving on from newbie status to more intermediate PPC level. AWM is mostly for new PPC people looking for basic info and questions to be answered. WPS is apparently more advanced and that shows in the price. It's costly ($47/mo), and I can't vouch for it since I haven't subscribed. But Matt Levenhagen, one of WPS's founders and an original AWM "mentor", is a great guy and very knowledgeable. I interacted with him a lot when I was on AWM.

As for using dialup, yikes. I can't imagine trying to manage my Google AdWords ad groups that have 500 keywords per page while using only dialup. It's slow enough getting all the keywords to come up in those big campaigns with my cable modem service.

I agree with Donuts -- start off with Google AdWords and later move on to the other 2 major PPC engines when you've gotten comfy with AdWords. Miva was utter crap in my experience. Thousands of clicks and almost no conversions. Wish I could get back all my money and time that I spent setting up a few campaigns there.

Hope this is helpful.

-'dog

Oops, hope I didn't break a rule
    Haiko or other mods, if you're reading this:

With respect to the affiliate URL and merchant announcement policies, is it OK to post websites for services or products that cost money (as I did in my prior post and without any affiliate link code in them)? I am not an affiliate of either of those two subscription forums, nor do I have any financial stake in them. I just wanted to reference them as possible resources for purplebear, and not to promote them to others for my own financial gain.

I assume that posting a link containing affiliate link code to a merchant is a big no-no.

Liz - hugs back at ya
    Spacedog - hmmm do you happen to write long emails?? Are you sure you're not my clone?? Just teasing you Anybody who knows me or affiliate managers who are unfortunate to have me as one of their affiliates knows I write long emails. lol Real long emails and try as I might haven't been able to break myself of the habit yet. lol Not sure I remember correctly but think you might have posted in the Introduction section (or whatever it's name is) If so....definitely would have to be a clone a whole lot smarter than me. I think you posted about being a graduate student or undergraduate? Not sure what the difference is but know it means you've got an awfully smart brain on them shoulders of yours

Not quite sure what you meant when you said seo-only. My poor little eyeballs are taking a well deserved break right now cos I've gotten quite googly eyed ( heee heee I made a pun lol ) I've been doing what Donuts suggested and been reading quite a bit. lol I've gone through one cartridge and well on the way through the second. lol had to stop the printer once cos it ran out of paper lol I'm holding off for a bit since a certain somebody's husband will not be too happy if he goes to print out a bill to send to one of his customers and ummm there's no ink left. lol.

I will visit those sites that you mentioned in your post and see what resources they have. Don't think I'm quite willing to spend money to join, though.
    As for dial-up yikes....hmmm that's a pretty good way of describing it. lol Something tells me I'm not going to be too happy once I attempt to use it with only having dial-up. Don't think any changes are going to be happening that quickly to save me before I have to use my credit. My expectations are definitely looking at this as a learning experience. Had tried learning about it before but I've just waited too long to ask for help and received it to be able to absorb all that there is to learn this quickly.
    Said it before but will say again. Thank you Spacedog and Donuts for all your help. It's very much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Spacedog - hmmm do you happen to write long emails??
    I resemble that remark. Bad habit to get into, but at least if your looong emails are reasonably clear, the recipient can't complain that they don't know what the hell you're trying to say.

Not sure I remember correctly but think you might have posted in the Introduction section (or whatever it's name is) If so....definitely would have to be a clone a whole lot smarter than me. I think you posted about being a graduate student or undergraduate? Not sure what the difference is but know it means you've got an awfully smart brain on them shoulders of yours
    Nahh, you're only my clone if you look up into space a lot and find yourself laughing at inappropriate times. I'm currently an undergrad which means I haven't gotten my Bachelor of Science degree yet. Later I'll be a grad student after I get that degree and go to college at a higher level. Smart? I hope so. This stuff I'm learning is HARD, man.

Not quite sure what you meant when you said seo-only.
    I meant that you promote your merchant partners on your website with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) only, so your results only show on search engines as "organic/natural" (also known as FREE) results.

The other side of search engine marketing, that you apparently are not participating in yet, is the paid ads that show on Google on the right side of the screen. This is PPC (pay-per-click), which is the main method I use to promote my merchant partners.

As for sinking money into resources to learn how to use PPC, that's up to you. Some people never buy anything and instead learn it on their own, but sometimes the book or service or software tool is invaluable enough that it easily pays for itself in saving you time.

Good luck with it; definitely use your Google AdWords credit before it expires to get a feel for it. PPC can be kind of addicting. I think it's a lot like day trading of stocks, or even a little like placing bets in Vegas. Finding that little sweet spot where your keywords are getting a good return on investment without breaking the bank is such a gratifying thing.

Not quite sure all my email recipients will agree that my emails are always quite clear. lol I tend to just type quickly when the thought pops into my head. My husband teases me sometimes comparing me to Edith Bunker. lol My thoughts do just seem to go off in all different directions some of the time. lol

Yeap, you're smart Even though it's hard...it will be worth it If a person's circumstances affords them the opportunity for an education....by all means go for it. It's not something you'll ever regret.

OK, thought that was what you were saying but wasn't sure. Yeap, not sure how good a job I'm doing with it lol but that's all I've done. No pay per click yet. Not really sure yet where I'm headed with that. I have spent a bit of money already on books just learning the html and hopefully the css if I ever get to it and my husband has bought me Paint Shop and Frontpage so have a feeling money's going to be spent more on things like food, health insurance and taxes for a while. Maybe in the future, though Like your comparisons to Vegas or stocks.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I have no problems designing a PPCSE strategy for merchant/brocureware clients. The formula is to have multiple first page natural first page SERP listings and use the PPCSE keyword Ad as a Branding tool in position 2-5. Given this type choice the searcher will click the natural SERP listing 80% of the time. They've learned to trust natural SERP listings, over getting fooled by paid PPCSE Ads, where the click becomes a waste of there time. Except for Google, the other PPCSE vendors actually provide paid click traffic that converts worse then the natural search traffic for those clients. The best converting traffic for 6 years comes from clicks from affiliate showcase links on their domain pages, or from Ads placed in sites where the daily audience fits the typical buyer profile.

Now I sure wish Donuts (PPC guru) would take me, or Charlie, under wing and develop something that would drive converting traffic to PPCSE worthy sections of EcomCity. Yesterday I wrote a merchant AM I was so happy their showcase page ( averaging 80 clicks a day for 5 years at EcomCity) finally fell out of favor with Google. Now it's down to 35 clicks a day so I leak fewer targeted shoppers to their ecatalog. Hopefully this will free me up from having to worry about why a merchant who can't convert/report better then 1 sale per 2000 clicks.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

In my case I have no idea how well natural results convert compared to PPC, because there's just no way I'm getting my few landing pages up high enough on SERPs to ever get any clicks, considering how saturated my merchant-related keywords are. But I'm concentrating solely on PPC rather than SEO so it's a non-issue at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    The best converting traffic for 6 years comes from clicks from affiliate showcase links on their domain pages ...
    I'm not sure what this means; elaborate please?

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread