Interesting wording from Ebay...
    Ebay's original response to the CJ LMI:

Many of you have asked us what eBay's recommendation is regarding LMI and the promotions you are currently running for eBay. We have been working on a new HTML tracking methodology specifically for eBay that will work seamlessly with the Commission Junction interface so that all of the current reporting capabilities will remain supported. While we do not have a deployment date, we
    are confident that it will be deployed prior to the holiday season, and we recommend waiting to change any tags related to eBay US and eBay International auction-related accounts until the new eBay tag schema is available. Given that Commission Junction is taking a phased approach for publishers to change out their tags, we think this approach will cause you the least amount of disruption.
    Somewhat vague, but implies that JavaScript will not be mandated for Ebay affiliates.

Now here's a post this morning by the head of the Ebay affiliate team over on the affiliate board, in response to someone's inquiry about having to change thousands of links. It takes a bit clearer tone, IMO (emphasis added):

We will be giving more details about our upcoming eBay tracking project shortly but wanted to make sure everyone was up to date that we will not be participating in the Commission Junction LMI project, rather we will be updating eBay tracking infrastructure. We appreciate your patience while we work on our plan to communicate the changes.
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

That is very interesting. I am sure ebay is one of CJ largest advertisers and that should have a little bit of impact.

Sounds like Ebay is going to leave CJ.

Quote Originally Posted by dharding
    Ebay's original response to the CJ LMI:

Somewhat vague, but implies that JavaScript will not be mandated for Ebay affiliates.

Now here's a post this morning by the head of the Ebay affiliate team over on the affiliate board, in response to someone's inquiry about having to change thousands of links. It takes a bit clearer tone, IMO (emphasis added):

ABW Ambassador
    That's great, that's how a big merchant is supposed to act, a merchant who gets it. CJ needs ebay more than ebay needs CJ. I still think they'll go inhouse sooner or later. They're big enough, have the know how, have plenty of money, loyal affiliates, dominant in their space, etc.

15 years and counting
    nakedgamer - I am sure ebay is one of CJ largest advertisers and that should have a little bit of impact
    We need more eBay. The only way to convince CJ is to hurt their bottom line real bad.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I'm not honestly all that knowledgable about CJ - other than it is not my personal preference. But knowing that history repeats itself, I can imagine that in the beginning they were far more receptive to customer suggestions.

We've been very happy thus far with SaS and can only hope that they always remember from where they came! That's something that unfortunately all too many businesses forget when the dollars start to pile up. eBay seems to be a biggie that tries to stay in touch with the value of customer support - so it'll be interesting to see what they do next.

Best - Alan Hamilton
    CDRx AmeriTrustRx

eBays getting ready to do their own contextual advertising too. Sounds to me like they are really gearing up to doing everything re: advertising and marketing on their own.

Last weekend, at the developer conference & eBay's affiliate day, CJ was well represented. On the other hand, eBay did communicate (paraphrasing) that they will let nothing stand in their way of doing what they need to do,

Tuan
    [url="http://www.wholesaler.com"]Wholesaler.com[/url]

Animal Lover
    eBay Australia joined DGM not long after LMI so I was wondering if they were starting to hedge their bets in case the LMI didn't work out.

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

we will not be participating in the Commission Junction LMI project
    Well, if ebay can demand this then any company of any size can demand this. And if CJ allows ebay to not participate then any company should be able to freely not participate.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

The problem I have with ebay's contextual advertising is that I am going to figure Google Adsense isn't going to allow it on the same page. This would be a major drawback.

Quote Originally Posted by oscar
    eBay Australia joined DGM not long after LMI so I was wondering if they were starting to hedge their bets in case the LMI didn't work out.

Oscar

What is DGM ?
    Need eBooks ? [URL=http://www.softebooks.com]We gott'em[/URL]:escape:<br>

Animal Lover
    DGM's another network - DGM Australia is one of the major ones that run affiliate programs in Australia. The other one is CommissionMonster. I don't know if it was just coincidental.

Oscar

Hi Oscar,

Does DGM allows non australian affiliates to join?
    does it support international publishers?

Animal Lover
    Does DGM allows non australian affiliates to join?
    does it support international publishers?
    I think they also manage DGM UK and DGM Spain. Not sure about allowing non-Aussies joining, you'll have to contact them and ask.

cheers,
    Oscar

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread