Data transfer ?
    Not sure if this is the correct place to be asking this or not. Tried making a search but didn't really come up with any answers. Could somebody please explain to me what exactly data transfer is. I know there's some sort of connection between that and bandwidth (don't really quite understand that either except you don't want to be using too much of it. lol )
    Say for instance I have a site I've made with FP and I would be editing it quite often a day to make changes with coupons, offers, etc. Would I wait til I had made all of the changes at the end of the day and upload it to the hosting site or are you able to make changes to any page and upload it whenever you want. Each time you upload anything are you using up data transfer space.
    Guess I'm trying to figure out when you're looking for a hosting site how do you know beforehand how much you're going to use by continually updating your site.
    For instance one hosting site might have:
    5 GB Space 250 GB Transfer
    Would this mean the 5 GB space is the actual amount of space your site has or can have and the 250 GB transfer.....what exactly does that refer to?

Sorry if making it sound complicated...just really don't understand what the transfer means.

Hi,

The 250Gb data transfer means, that 250Gb of data can be downloaded from your server or shared account per month usually (in some cases uploaded data counts too). If you will exceed this limit you will be charged by a hosting company for every additional GB.

How much? It depends. Just ask your hosting company.

Talking
    Unless you have one hell of a lot of traffic to your site - you'll never have to worry about going over 250 GB of traffic.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Thank both of you very much
    BurgerBoy - "hell of a lot of traffic to your site"
    lol....naaaah definitely not worrying about that problem lol The part that concerns me is I'm constantly editing my site because I have to constantly update coupons, offers, etc. with my little fingers myself not any magical program or anything that does it for me. I don't know if when you have to upload that all at once or if you do it as you go if that is going to count as part of the 250 GB transfer.

hmmmm while I'm here ..if memory is correct..BurgerBoy - think you said in another post that you used FP. Do you use the search feature on your site and if so is it any good?

Thanks again to both of you for your help

Talking
    I use the Fluid Dynamics Search engine.

It is free - It will install itself without you having to do anything except tell it the url of your site - and anytime you make changes to your site you can just tell it to re-crawl your site and it will.

It is very easy to use.

You can find it here - http://www.xav.com/

Also - I publish from my computer to the website fairly often as I work on the site.

That way I don't have to sit and wait forever for FP to publish the changes.

I have never had a problem with using to much transfer band width.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Thank you very much BurgerBoy. Took a quick look at what you mentioned. Not sure I'd be able to use it or not. It mentioned perl and ummmm being the computer illiterate person that I am. lol html and a teeny bit of css is all I understand. For right now at least I couldn't use it where my site's hosted. Can't use the FP either since they don't support it. I just keep thinking of things if I make up my mind to forfeit what I've already paid for hosting and move the site somewhere else that supports more things and offers more. Appreciate your help

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread