It's time to get serious with CJ about JavaScripts!
    I heard back from CJ support today and answer to a question I submitted that really has me upset. Nearly 60 of my domains, most of my original ones, were built without datafeeds and have complicated links, hand built, to go to specific pages and merchants sites. My question was if I would have to change those several hundred links and the answer was yes (but, oh, donít worry, you have until early 2007).

CJ is missing the point here. I have links that make merchants hundreds of thousands of dollars in sales and it took me years to get those all set up. This is not an easy matter of doing a search and replace, it will require effort on my part to find these links on every site, find out where they went and create a new custom JS link to replace them. Well, I'm not going to do that.

Starting today I'm writing my merchants. I'm going to list for them exactly how much in sales I created for them over the last five years and how they are going to lose that in the future because I'm not going to do all that work over again for an untried system. Yes, untried! I've spoke to merchants and they are telling me that CJ has admitted that they only tested this internally and it has not been tested on the outside (thus the delay in the "benchmark results" they keep telling us they will give us once implemented.

My next step will be to write to the board of directors at CJ and other executives, thus this post. Can anyone supply the names and addresses of the board of directors and the top brass at CJ? I need them and perhaps others would like to write to them as well.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

The information for CJ's bosses (ValueClick) is public. Their management is listed at:

http://www.valueclick.com/about/management.html

and their contact information at:

http://www.valueclick.com/about/contact.html

(the folks above would mostly be at corporate hq - the first address on the contact info page)
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Good for you!

You are their worst nightmare... hundreds of handcoded links that produce significant sales. It will take LESS work for you to change those links to a different network rather than change them to CJ's untested javascript. And you're vocal about it.... good job, give 'em hell.

Well, right now CJ is my worst nightmare. All they have to do to make me happy is allow my long standing, proven sales generating legacy links to stay. I don't do my business by going back all the time and changing everything I have done to something untested. Instead, I leave alone what works, recreate in other ways and experiment only sparingly to see if I can find anything that is more successful. If it ainít broke, donít fix it!

Oh, thanks for the links above for addresses. Much appreciated!
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I think it would be easier to just throw them away and get a new one.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.valueclick.com/about/management.html

They also need to get some women up in Executive Management, 13 Men, 0 Women

Well, I'm pretty good at finding folks email addresses once I have their name and title (thank you Google), but I'm also going to write letters to make sure they get them. One can ignore or delete an email, but it is often harder to discard that letter laying on your desk.

Good point about no women, and I think that is something we should mention, but one campaign at a time.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

CJ's new manager is a woman. I forget her name, but I think there was an interview with her in the last issue of Revenue.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Definitely explain to your big merchnts how much they will lose. Merchants don't seem to know what is going on, they are speculating as much as affiliates are. I've been encourging any program that geneates anything significant to setup on another network. I'm happy to stay with CJ for everything but not if the current links go away.

I feel for you Ron. Last year when I took down all my parasite filled cell phone merchant links they were all hand coded. It took me 6 months to find them all.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar
    Definitely explain to your big merchnts how much they will lose. Merchants don't seem to know what is going on, they are speculating as much as affiliates are. I've been encourging any program that geneates anything significant to setup on another network. I'm happy to stay with CJ for everything but not if the current links go away.
    That's exactly the way I feel. All I can think of is that there must be someting bigger going on here than CJ wants to tell us if they are willing to do all of this and lose both affiliates and merchants by not allowing legacy links to continue. Problem is, it may not be evident to us until after all the legacy links are gone completely, early in 2007.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

JS is very good, but JS also has its limitation,
    therefore it is not good to use JS to replace all other link types.
    Only add it as an option.

Affiliate marketing is so much more than a banner advertising program.

currently it is common to see merchants using bad/inappropriate wordings on JS text links. They cannot be edited, then use it or ignore it

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread