Things to See In New York City
    I know quite a few of you guys and gals are coming to NYC for the Linkshare shindig and maybe you have not been here before.

Since I live in NYC and have done almost half of what there is to do here I figure I would let you know about a few things that you can do while here.

Getting around the city is pretty easy as the subway lines basically run a few blocks from each other in Manhattan. If you are looking for transportation to and from the airports I would suggest taking a cab unless you want to save some money. A cab usually runs about $45 from the airport to the city but that price usually changes so don't quote me on that.

If you are coming in by plane to JFK airport you can save some money by taking the air train to the subway. The air train cost $5 and the subway cost $2 for a total of $7 and it will have you in Manhattan in about an hour. If you are staying at the Hyatt you will have to change trains at some point. If you have a lot of luggage I would suggest a cab. Make sure you go to the cab stand at the airport and not to one of the local cabs that seem to hunt people down with suitcases as they will rip you off. If you plan on staying for a few days you may want to look into buying a weekly MetroCard $24 I think for the subway as it will save you money getting around. You can also get the 5 trip plan which cost $10 and you get 6 rides as a bonus. It all depends on your length of stay.

Some things are a rip off like the ferry to the Statue of Liberty, you can get a better experience by taking the ferry to Ellis Island. They have a museum there and history and I mean a lot of history. At the Statue of Libery there really is nothing to do. Although it is nice to say you went to the Statue it is a total waste. You can take some pics of the Statue as you pass by it on the way to Ellis Island.

The one must do is the Skyride in the Empire State Building, Get there early and buy the combo ticket to the ride and the observation deck. Do the skyride first and you will avoid hours on line. After the ride there is a short cut up to the observation deck. The skyride is almost like a helicopter tour around the whole city, really cool stuff. It is narrated by Kevin Bacon.

For food Hotdogs you must go to papaya's up by Lincoln Center. For the best Pastrami or Corned beef you have to go to Katz Deli down on Houston street. For movie buffs it is where they filmed the scene where Meg Ryan moans like well you know.

Can you guys tell I am working on a nyc gibberish tourist site
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Outsourced Program Manager
    Great Stuff, thanks Vin!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    These are a few of my favorite things:

In Manhattan:

Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)
    Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met)
    Museum of Natural History
    South Street Seaport (Very touristy but fun. Order a weissbier at an outdoor cafe.)

Da Bronx:

Bronx Zoo
    Bronx Botanical Gardens

Da Food:

The Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station (Order the bouillabaisse.)
    Zabar's (An upscale deli. Order a quarter pound of everything and have a picnic in your hotel room.)
    Soft pretzels from a street cart
    Gyro sandwich from a street cart
    Gelato from a street cart
    Egg cream (Any old-fashioned soda bar in Greenwich Village.)
    Sylvia's Patio (Soul food.)
    Find an Italian street fair and order a zeppole and a peppas-and-sausiche.
    Manhattan Special Soda
    Black-And-White cookie from Rocco's Italian Bakery on Bleecker Street (Greenwich Village)

Rhea you left of a knish from a streetcart
    The South Street Seaport is great for a meal and watching the boats go by, I love that place. They have little two hour cruises that circle manhattan that looks cool I have never done it though.

It Looks like it is going to be 70-80 degrees with some thunderstorms on tuesday and wednesday.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Cool
    FORGET IT.

Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; June 17th, 2006 at 02:36 AM.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    I miss Manhattan... and real zeppolle from an italian pizzaria... and the subway... and the sax player that plays in Washington Square and takes the subway that I used to take to work...

I miss the food, the anonymity and being able to walk outside at 2 am and not be alone and feel safe... (yeah I felt safe in NYC, I was there when security was tight after 911, between NYU security, the NYPD and the National Guard I figured I was in the safest place in the world...)

Maybe later in the summer when I come back east to get my cats, I can stop by NYC on the way. Just for a day or two...

Brooklyn:
    Brooklyn Museum
    Botanical Garden
    Brooklyn Public Library
    Prospect park and the zoo
    (all of the above with in walking distance)
    Ofcourse and me. For 20 dollars I'll take a picture with you.

Can anyone say Cheese Cake? Brooklyn has the best place to get one.
    Coney Island.
    The Cyclones

Queens:
    The Mets

Ack, my mistake, it's the New York Botanical Garden, not the Bronx Botanical Garden. Check this out http://www.nybg.org/. Might also mention that they have an exhibition of Dale Chihuly's glass sculptures. His sculptures alone would be worth the price of admission.

Oh if you go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art be sure to give your cabbie the long name (don't just say, "The Met") or you might end up at the opera house which is also known as "The Met."

Oh and another thing that's pretty cool to do is visit the U.N. It's mind-boggling how many accents and languages you'll hear there. They do have an exhibit and it's one of the few places in NYC where you can smoke indoors.

If you are Italian or like Italian food you have to venture down to Mulberry street. Probably the best you will ever taste. My favorite place is Umbertos

Things to see in NYC.....

Jersey from a distance

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    Great stuff everyone - thanks!

Geeze Mike you only go around once and besides, everything in NYC is expensive! There, don't you feel better now? Order the bouillabaisse anyway. You won't be sorry.

I'll be there eating lunch with my Dad on Wednesday. If you see us stop by and I'll buy you whatever you're drinking. (Now all you have to do is figure out what I look like and you're all set.)

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    (Now all you have to do is figure out what I look like and you're all set.)
    You aren't pink with wings?

(Oh cool, look at the smilie I just found looking for the right one to put there that might need to go in my sig somehow..... )
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Since most will be in the Grand Central Station area you have to wander inside and see one of the greaset jobs ever and that is the clean up and restoration of Grand Central itself.

Once you are inside this mecca of a train station that was restored by Jackie Onasis of all people. This place was once one of the dirtiest places in the planet. Now you can eat off the floor. (not that I would try it)

While in Grand Central you can visit the transit museum store and pick up a T-shirt or other cool subway stuff if you like that sort of stuff. Speaking of trains way under grand central is a steel bullet proof subway car that once shuttled FDR out of the Waldoff Astoria. They use to drive the car right into the subway car as that was easier than moving FDR around. Hmmm now I know why the street is called the FDR drive.

If you walk down 42nd street you will pass the largest public library and Bryant park (free Wi Fi) another block and you are in the heart of times square where you can go to the disney store or Madame Tousants wax museum.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread