View Poll Results: How many of your websites are designed to run well on mobile phones, wireless laptops

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

15 71.43%
  • One

3 14.29%
  • 2 to 3

1 4.76%
  • 3 to 4

0 0%
  • All

2 9.52%
    ABW Ambassador
    Exclamation Mobile Internet Poll
    How many of your websites are designed to run well on mobile phones, wireless laptops and personal digital assistants?

Please see The Mobile Internet Thread

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    None of my producing sites fit into today's demographic of the mobile phone or PDA shopper, so I've dismissed this whole segment of viewers. The day will come, but for the particular things I focus on now, the fit isn't there, so I haven't spent the time to design my sites for that viewer.

Wireless laptops, in my view, are not the same issue as pda and cell phones and my site designs, particularly resolution and bandwidth, are already designed with the wireless laptop viewer in mind for sure.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Our andyrodriguez.com site looks and works great on the Treo 650

Starting to ramp up the mobilization of our business as well. Just got a Toshiba G35 and may get another soon. Transfering all data and apps to the laptop and going to start using it as a daily desktop replacement.

Main reason was mobility in case of natural disaters (hurricane loss) but the freedom i am having is refreshing...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Internet Cowboy
    Since I got my Treo 700W, I have made a point to make my sites fit on it. This is a growing segment and the 400x400 res. is going to get bigger real soon.

There is a setting on the Treo where you can set it to show all sites in 400 wide resolution. It basically just stacks everything. If a site is designed with that in mind it will look pretty good on the 400 wide screen. That is the approach I am taking. I am certainly not formatting for 400 wide.

Anybody who buys stuff I sell from a farty little mobile phone screen needs a slap.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    Anybody who buys stuff I sell from a farty little mobile phone screen needs a slap.
    ROFL! Some reason that just made me laugh.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The comment is humorous--but money is money.

But, do those things allow for cookie usage yet (a few years back, they couldn't use cookies)? If not, they don't exist, at least from the affiliate standpoint. And, since most shopping carts also need cookies to run, it's the same from the merchant side.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    But, do those things allow for cookie usage yet (a few years back, they couldn't use cookies)? If not, they don't exist, at least from the affiliate standpoint. And, since most shopping carts also need cookies to run, it's the same from the merchant side.
    I am not sure about the ones with the Palm OS, but my Treo uses Windows and uses cookies. I can remember passwords etc and shop on it. I have made a few purchases from it that tracked just fine.

I see this as a segment of the market that is virtually untapped and growing pretty quickly. I have plans to design a site just for shopping from PDAs. So far the only shopping sites I have seem formatted for PDAs are on Yahoo and MSN.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    The comment is humorous--but money is money
    Yeah, you're right.

Not caring in the slightest about mobile gizmos and expecting a phone to be as small and light as possible, I'm pleasantly surprised that the screens have got up to 400 x 400 pixels (I'm still not going to buy one though).

400 x 400 is a reasonable screen size to aim a design at and offers scope. The issue still to be addressed before I do anything other than keep an eye on things, is what kind of demographic are going to use these things and what will they buy from them? I'm guessing the focus will be narrower than the rest of the online community.

Affiliate Manager TheShoppersWorld.com's Avatar
    I do sell Cell Phone Accessories but didn't think I need to make my site viewable for mobile shopping. Good Point to Ponder!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    How many of your websites are designed to run well on mobile phones, wireless laptops and personal digital assistants?

Please see The Mobile Internet Thread
    What are the best methods to design such a site?

CSS must be a given ... what else?

Any online tutorials?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I agree with you, but I can see how mobile phones, wireless laptops and personal digital assistants could be used for impulse purchases.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Internet Cowboy
    No CSS.
    VERY basic.

Description
    Buy Button
    Description
    Buy Button
    etc.

All left justified, small images, limited text and no bells or whistles. Keep in mind that you are dealing with operating systems that are still indevelopment and might not handle CSS, javascript and other elements very well. I would stick to straight, plain jane html code.

Small pages, keep load time down. One column display. It is a site that is incredibly boring to a PC user, so make it clear that it is for use on PDA browsers.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread