Many Clicks Dilemma
    I manage a program and I could use some suggestions. what should I do when an affiliate sends about 3000 clicks average per day with no sales?

No technical problems since other affiliates are OK

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Smile
    Hi there,

Anytime I see an affiliate sending an inordinate number of clicks with no conversion I know there's investigation to be done - you've taken step 1 - to identify that there's something askew in that scenario.

Next, you need to identify the referring URLs for this affiliate. Where is this affiliate promoting your wares, and what methods are they using to do so? What methods are they using to drive traffic to their own sites and ads, and what methods are they using to drive traffic THRU those links to your site?

Unfortunately, a high number of clicks and no conversion can often be a warning sign - the affiliate may be using a form of parasiteware to serve ads on an untargeted audience via popups, BHO and other types of installs (like shopping 'helpers' etc.)... do some looking around to find out the how/where of their promotions and if you cannot identify it on your own, try to contact the affiliate directly to begin a dialogue.

You'll usually find one of a few things in this case. Either it's a fraudulent cookie-stuffer generating all these 'empty' clicks (as stated above), or, the affiliate may be incorrectly advertising you on his/her site(s).

Depending on your company policies and the policies of your affiliate program, you will likely be better able to decide what the appropriate action is to help resolve the issue, once you identify the source of those empty clicks.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck,

Whats do these kinds of referring urls imply:

(removed url)

kind find any info on this
    Last edited by loxly; June 18th, 2006 at 04:04 PM.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    From an affiliate POV:

My site has been known to send that kind of traffic to various merchants with no sales. Drives ME crazy, too. I am not doing anything nasty nor do I have bad traffic. It's all legit and not PPC traffic, mostly organic from Goog and other SEs. An enviable position to be in, yes, but if it doesn't convert, I want to know why, too.

I suspect that there are affiliates who need to be monitored for fraud in these instances, however, when this happens to a legitimate affiliate who is sending targeted traffic, where does one look for the problem?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

http and a telephoto
    If that is the real referring url, you would be "outing" an affiliate and that is against forum guidelines. If you wanted to post an example of a url, then use the format:

http://ipaddress/something-else

That would get your point accross without linking to potentially identifying information.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Based on what I've seen them do before, I'd say it's these guys - targetedvisitors.info Hmmm, wonder why their html handoffs leave IP addresses, versus domain name referrals headers, in your logs... Maybe your newbie aff believed their bs offer for traffic...

This ip is on servers from the hosting company called aplus.net, but remember, logs can tell lies cuz people can spoof stuff. Ask your aff who his host is... or go look it up since you have those records (the aff's site) in your system...

Ask you affiliate where they get their traffic. Here, where your EPC is drug down by poor converting traffic, you have the right to ask for details and, I'd also say, to present to the affiliate, if they don't want to answer questions, that the alternative is "no mas".

Got you. missed the guidelines. Actually thats not the affiliate url.
    Thats what shows on the logs.

http and a telephoto
    I wasn't sure what url that would have been so that's why I trashed it. If that is in the logs, then does it lead back to the affiliate? Or to an affiliate?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Its leads to a company that serves pop up ads

I'd like to bump 'rexannes' post..

I get emails from AM's all the time asking "what can we do to help you convert? We see that you are sending many visitors to our site but you have yet to make a sale"..etc. I usually don't even bother replying to these because I figure that if I am (obviously) sending them traffic, I have already done my part. The problem must be with them!

One thing that I find interesting is that in some of these circumstances it is a merchant that I have been dealing with for a few years and my sales have been steady but then all of a sudden they fell off. Nothing changed on my end but something changed on the other end and then I tried to fix the problem by contacting the merchant, complaining to CJ, etc.. and for one reason or another, it just didn't work out.

This is the sort of thing that drives me nuts because all through my internet marketing career I have tried to find a reliable and solid basis for my income. When I have been listed high in the search engines for a reliable amount of time, my suppliers (CJ, Linkshare, etc.) have been having problems with converting, reporting or tracking..... yah.. I said tracking.

When everything starts to go great with the Cj's and Linkshares and ShareaSales and Befree's of the world then the search engine game turns itself upsidedown. For what it's worth, I do hate Google with a passion.

Back to the subject...
    I get emails from AM's who want to know how they can help me convert. I wonder if they are feling me out to see if I am sending them a bunch of traffic that is somehow blemished? Are they trying to find out if my traffic is legit? I ask this because I wonder .... and since I know that MY traffic is completely legit and VERY targeted.. it just makes me wonder if there might actually be something wrong with the tracking in some areas.

I think it is great that they are feeling out affiliates in order to make sure that they are not forcing clicks and such but from my experience, I can only wonder if tracking is really affected in some cases since for some merchants I am sending many targeted clicks with few or no sales or conversions.
    :warning: If we don't get some cool rules ourselves.... pronto... then we'll just be bogus too..

In this case, the referring url comes from a company that serves pop ups

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread