This comes out of the newly stated spam policy published by Inktomi at http://www.inktomi.com/products/search/spampolicyfaq.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Q: I have sites which are full of pages which have some minimal
    content, of a sort... but their real purpose is to funnel people
    onto another page of mine, or into an affiliate program. Is this
    OK?
    A: Inktomi does not want such content at all.

Q: I want to make pages to drive people into my affiliate program.
    How can I best do that?
    A: The only way is to create a great site rich in original (not
    copied) content, which in and of itself offers a great value to
    the user. This usually resembles a "labor of love" and is
    difficult to do on a large scale. Some affiliates cut corners or
    make cookie-cutter sites; we do not want such sites in the index. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like we all should be developing content worthy of the New York Times Best Seller list. Ladies and Gentlemen, start your "Labor of Love" engines and cut no corners doing it!

Seriously, all constructive comments would be welcome.

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: go60guy ]

this is what happens when people encourage 1500 forum members to create tons of websites and stuff the search engine indexes with them, as we say goodbye to overture, kanoodle and odp we jump on whatever search engine is available, which of course the search engines dont want us to do and we will soon be saying goodbye to them also

ABW Ambassador
    "labor of love" and is
    difficult to do on a large scale

Now how does the wide world define "labor of love". Does it have something to do with childbirth? And I'll bet there are marketeers all over the globe that can do it on a large scale, whatever it is.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    How do they suppose we support those labor of loves? My labor of love doesn't make squat. It's the unrelated nominal content sites that make money for me. I guess what they are saying is, "We'd like you to provide your content to us for free, and by the way, stay poor." I used to spend 90% of my time on my labor of love - and it earned 10% of the money.

-elbowcreek

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>we jump on whatever search engine is available<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, so with Overture giving us the boot, and Google and Inktomi moving in that direction, where can all of us pile on next? Where is the next party?

the point that you are all missing is that inktomi and google werent created for the sole purpose of making you rich, they where created to serve valid information for surfers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I guess what they are saying is, "We'd like you to provide your content to us for free, and by the way, stay poor." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what do you want them to say? "we'd like to provide you with traffic to your affiliate site for free, just put up a banner and some links and we will be happy to serve that to our users until they stop using our service"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"labor of love" and is
    difficult to do on a large scale
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    i know what you mean, its much easier to knock up a dozen affiliate websites and optimize them so that they rank better than information sites that the engines where built for

lets just blatantly abuse it until they activley go to war against affiliate websites like overture did/is doing

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: SpaceBandit ]

ABW Ambassador
    I think you can have both with this formula :

Labor of Love (content) = traffic , traffic, and more traffic (that doesn't want to buy a thing by the way) + Sponsors that will accept your site for it's good content

+

Freebies , lead offers, etc. which DO pay
    =

MONEY for all your hard work !

Look at BabyCenter.com, ParentCenter.com, etc. they all have those one page "freebies" offers going for them .

Content + Free offers = $$$

That is going to my next move, to heck with trying to sell for now , unless I'm selling my own products !

Lisa

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "Serious comments?"

Okay, but it's not going to be the normal anthill-panic, "content is king" response.

Give 'em the pages anyway. [img]tongue.gif[/img] (Warning--they MAY find 'em and reject 'em! But it beats rolling over and playing dead like c*ntent-lovers WISH we would!!!)

Seriously, only my really "obviously affiliate" pages have been ranked REALLY low (and none rejected outright--they prefer to bury the offenders, it seems). I hadn't seen the revised terms,but I did notice that certain pages weren't getting ranked well there anymore and now I know WTF. But I also know that a standard aff. page (that's not a banner/link farm) has still been getting accepted...and ranking well.

"Q: I want to make pages to drive people into my affiliate program.
    How can I best do that?

A:The only way is to create a great site rich in original (not
    copied) content, which in and of itself offers a great value to
    the user. This usually resembles a "labor of love"~Ink"

I APPLAUD THEM 100% for their distaste for ripped-off pages!

BUT the rest of what they're saying in that paragraph is BALONEY. There is no "only way". They are confusing "the only acceptable way to get into Ink" with a method of selling. As a method of getting traffic to merchants, what they suggest SUCKS! Their suggestion is standard "visitor retention" boilerplate. Don't they even realize that the money in this business is made when visitors BEAT IT over to the merchant site and start buying (after getting our cookies...)?!?

They can cram that "labor of love" part where the sun doesn't shine. This is business.

Also, there still doesn't seem to be a way for an algo to tell the difference between ad spin with aff. links, and edu-content with aff. links. And ALL sites seem to have SOME type of ad on them, whether affiliate or CPM! Especially content sites, with their CPM ads.

"Some affiliates cut corners or
    make cookie-cutter sites; we do not want such sites in the index.~Ink"

Basically make sure your pitches are varied enough to not trigger the anti-cookie cutter part of the algo. And the old adage, "look at the sites that are highly ranked", holds true. Not to steal from 'em!--But to see things like their keyword density, link density, etc. Meta tags still count in Ink, too, so make sure to check there...

ABW Ambassador
    If someone is searching for ... say ... Ludwig van Beethoven ... They want content rich pages with facts about the mans life and his music and will probably find a content rich page about it.

If someone is serching for ... say ... A George Foreman Grill ... They want a description filled with spin and a low price and will probably find Leaders page [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

They both provide what the person was looking for [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As a method of getting traffic to merchants, what they suggest SUCKS!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

where does it say that they want you to send traffic to merchants?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They can cram that "labor of love" part where the sun doesn't shine. -leader<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

would that be the same place that they will cram our websites like overture did?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also, there still doesn't seem to be a way for an algo to tell the difference between ad spin with aff. links<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes they do! its called "user feedback", "click here to report spam"

leader, youre still telling people the same thing that you told them about overture, have you tried getting a page listed in there lately?

I agree Dave.

What the SE's seem to forget is that
    Many of their surfers Want to Buy!
    And when these surfers type in their
    onesy twosy keywords for items and get
    crap (content only) results and don't
    get an affiliate or merchant offering
    the item they want to buy, They will
    go somewhere else to search.

It happens to me all the time. For
    example, my husband wanted a specific
    Protein Smoothie. I typed in the
    name and up comes all of these "content"
    sites Rating the Protein Smoothie!
    The Protein Smoothie's Company Does
    Not Sell directly on the web. Buried
    10 or so down there was a web site
    that Sold the Smoothie. I had to
    wade thru a Ton of "Content" sites.

When someone types in "discount widget"
    do you really think they want to research what a discount widget means? No, they want
    to find the best quality & price discount widget.

I do agree misleading revenue pages should
    go, yet the SE's NEED to realize we provide
    a Valuable Service -- helping people Find
    what they want To Buy.

Anne

The internet always changes.. so does affiliate marketing.. If you're smart you'll take what you can from each of the more profitable means of affiliate marketing whilst it is still available. If you're even smarter you'll also be setup for the next new wave of profitable affiliate marketing before everyone else jumps on the bandwagon. If you stand around whining about the way others play the game, you're just missing out on the opportunity to play yourself and find out how lucrative and fun a game it really is - regardless of how many players there are or how the rules change every day.

Regards,
    TK

I truly believe the powers that be at the search engines, again using the George Foreman Grill as an example, are dead set on targeting the surfer who wants to research the pros and cons of the product. That, in their judgement, would be a way to deliver "great value to the user". (Note - we're admonished to provide not just "value" but "great value").

The idea that someone might just want to buy a George Foreman Grill without wading through a bunch of "rich original content" is lost on them. Query: Do the late night infomercials about the product offer up "great value" (more likely frantic clicks on the remote).

A search on Google shows that most sites offering the grill are affiliate pages. There's no george-foreman.com site shown in the top ten SERPs. Of course, the wisdom of the search engines is that anyone knows that if you want to buy a book, you go directly to Amazon, not through some affiliate. The same should hold true with any other product or service. Except, there are legions of manufacturers who don't directly market their products on the internet, or directly to the consumer at the retail level. You can hardly ever buy a book from the publisher.

I can understand rejecting hundreds of cookie cutter pages. But affiliates who take their work seriously provide value added, and enable merchants to expand their markets.

Today, I spoke with an affiliate manager who told me that their major source of sales and revenue was through affiliate marketing. They found that PPC was much too expensive and unproductive to boot. Of course, the ideal business model for the SEs would be to fill their top search results with paid listings and bury the free listings.

One way to get there is to trash affiliates and force merchants to come to the table with advertising dollars for the SE coffers. That way the visitor will see only great sites "rich in original content" and be dazzled and nurtured by information of "great value". That is, great value to the search engines.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    ---------------------------------------------
    As a method of getting traffic to merchants, what they suggest SUCKS!

where does it say that they want you to send traffic to merchants?

THAT doesn't deserve the dignity of a response, but I will give a short one. Their suggestion was supposed to answer this question: "Q: I want to make pages to drive people into my affiliate program.
    How can I best do that?"

The fact that they answered it at all implies that they are trying to be help the questioner reach that objective. If they are trying to give out damaging info intentionally, they should be ashamed.

quote:
    They can cram that "labor of love" part where the sun doesn't shine. -leader

would that be the same place that they will cram our websites like overture did?

That "will" part is an incorrect assumption. I don't know where you get the "will" FROM, actually! OverSURE is a human-edited directory. Inktomi is run by an algo. Two different animals. Plus, even Over found that even kicking out old listings is a logistical nightmare! Combine that with the fact that Ink also sends out a spider, bringing in thousands of listings, and your "will cram" becomes a big "YOU WISH".

quote:
    Also, there still doesn't seem to be a way for an algo to tell the difference between ad spin with aff. links
    --------------------------------------------

yes they do! its called "user feedback", "click here to report spam"

The only ones who think aff. pages are spam are content site owners and dumber engines. We affiliates can click the same button against content sites, and claim we want places to shop!

leader, youre still telling people the same thing that you told them about overture, have you tried getting a page listed in there lately?

That claim of yours is BOGUS. I didn't say that Over couldn't tell the difference between an aff. page and a content page. As a human-edited SE, it's completely different from Inktomi and other algo-based engines.

Also, I have been saying that OverSure can go to Blazes for months now. And, I've said that they're not worth the hash anymore, their traffic has been diluted, and to list elsewhere! Apparantly you have not been READING my posts, and decided to just INVENT claims about what I have been saying!!!

Since you started a thread about "giving away trade secrets", I strongly suspect that your supposed objections and sudden "love" of content are subterfuge intended to con people into giving up!

ABW Ambassador
    >If you stand around whining about the way others play the game

TK:
    well said

If your don't like something you can:
    whine
    adapt
    get a day job

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you stand around whining about the way others play the game, you're just missing out on the opportunity to play yourself and find out how lucrative and fun a game it really is - regardless of how many players there are or how the rules change every day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love it, TK. Best game in town,this affiliate marketing stuff.

Play Ball!

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread