Interesting timing (email from Ebay program mgr at CJ)
    For the first time EVER in my 4-year relationship with CJ, I actually received an unsolicited email from a human being at CJ, i.e., not a broadcast email:

My name is **** - I am the Program Manager for the eBay US program at Commission Junction.

I have noticed your numbers increasing with the program for the past few weeks and your metrics shows you have potential to do even better. I wanted to hear more from you about your account. To help you optimize your program, it would be helpful to hear how you drive traffic and to learn more about your business model.

Looking forward to working with you and if you have any questions, please donít hesitate to ask. I will be following up with you next week with a phone call.
    (Now that I reread the email, it's general and nonspecific enough that I suppose this might be a broadcast form email sent to any number of Ebay affiliates)

I find the timing of this interesting for several reasons:

1. LMI and its rollout

2. I'm actually coming off of my WORST month since Ebay switched to the new revenue share structure last year. May 2006 was at roughly 60% of previous months, so any "increasing numbers" are simply a return to previous levels. (I still maintain that something went horribly awry either at Ebay or CJ last month... when I see a monthly trend of 85%, 90%, 100%, 60%, 110%, that tells me that the 60% is a serious aberration, especially when the targeted traffic I sent to Ebay was consistent with months before and after).

I sent the following response:

Hi *****,

Actually, numbers are just now climbing back to where they should be. May was a horrendous month; my numbers were down to 60% of what they should have been. Even though I sent the same amount of traffic to Ebay, the numbers were way down. I suspect there were problems either with Ebay or CJ tracking, however I cannot prove it.

As far as potential to do better, my traffic is very highly targeted and very much a niche market. I do not engage in any PPC advertising.

I do not wish to change anything about my web sites at this time, as it remains to be seen whether or not I will remain a CJ affiliate (under no circumstances will I be replacing my HTML links with JavaScript, so unless the LMI status changes I will most likely be leaving CJ once JavaScript links are no longer optional).
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

Frankly, I would not want to tell someone I don't know what my secret to success is. It's well known that employees at networks are also affiliates (not saying this guy is) and I rarely let anyone know what works for me and what does not.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I got a similar email few month ago. I emailed back and asked him to email me their suggestion/recommandation. The reply is they want to discuss with me over the phone. They never called me. Still don't what CJ want. They know my websites. I certainly won't tell them where and how I promote my sites.

Quote Originally Posted by dharding
    For the first time EVER in my 4-year relationship with CJ, I actually received an unsolicited email from a human being at CJ, i.e., not a broadcast email:

(Now that I reread the email, it's general and nonspecific enough that I suppose this might be a broadcast form email sent to any number of Ebay affiliates)

I find the timing of this interesting for several reasons:

1. LMI and its rollout

2. I'm actually coming off of my WORST month since Ebay switched to the new revenue share structure last year. May 2006 was at roughly 60% of previous months, so any "increasing numbers" are simply a return to previous levels. (I still maintain that something went horribly awry either at Ebay or CJ last month... when I see a monthly trend of 85%, 90%, 100%, 60%, 110%, that tells me that the 60% is a serious aberration, especially when the targeted traffic I sent to Ebay was consistent with months before and after).

I sent the following response:

I'd received the same email a couple of months ago from A.

We exchanged a couple of emails and I didn't get the answers I was looking for. Received the correct answers last week from Jarrod and Jeff at the developer conference.

Tuan
    [url="http://www.wholesaler.com"]Wholesaler.com[/url]

Thumbs up hi
    frankly! me neither! i wouldnt tell them how, as long as you are not breaking their rules, because i am sure that they just want to make sure you are not using spams or incentive traffic,because if you are doing so, they will close yor membership with them, so hopefully you are doing everything by the rules, and good luck buddy!keep the great work,

Yeah, but if its a "rules check", can't they simply check for themselves to see if I'm violating any terms? They have the names of my web sites on file. Why do they need to call and talk to me for that?

hi
    well, it seems to me that they want to find something against you so you don't get paid, that is all,
    yours,

I don't think that's the case for me. I do believe CJ is trying to help me. If I make more commish, they make more money too. I just don't want have someone to copy my idea. The person from CJ might be not an affiliate. But he/she might talk to his friend about it.

Quote Originally Posted by wristmart
    well, it seems to me that they want to find something against you so you don't get paid, that is all,
    yours,

Just received a response to my response. It appears it is actually a live human that seems interested in providing assistance.

Perhaps my earnings are rising to the threshold that I'm worthy of speaking to finally.

There also was a reiteration of Ebay vs. LMI:

We got a lot of feedback regarding the CJ LMI. I just want to give you a quick heads up that eBay is currently working hard with us in developing and testing their new tracking methodology. With this enhanced tracking, all eBay affiliates will not be affected by CJ LMI at all. We are not clear when exactly this new update will be launched, but it will definitely be before the LMI deadline.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread