You put up a couple of pages and all of a sudden you're the world expert on something [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I just got a request from the US Navy to use part of my Orange Book site for training materials at their base in Norfolk [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It's almost as cool as when the Space and Naval Warfare command asked me for advice when they couldn't get the information they wanted from the NSA.

I think all web editing packages should come with a warning "Anything you publish may mark you out as the world's leading expert, even if you aren't."

Still, I have a couple of even more impressive emails to answer from wives of deceased African dictators, so I must get on [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

This is going to sound pretentious, but our first site 2 years ago was about retiring in Costa Rica, etc. Over the last two years we've been contacted by NBC Nightly News, Kiplingers Magazine, the New York Times and Money Magazine because we are "experts." We aren't really, but you have a webpage and people think you are [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Dynamoo, that is cool!! Maybe they will link to your site, which would be really cool!!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    whose claim to fame is being an expert on raising chickens-lol

ABW Ambassador
    Congratulations Dynamoo!!!

Cool Dynamoo :cool:
    I've built a variety of websites as a hobby since 1996 and its resulted in an invitation to write a chapter for a Medical Practitioners handbook on Alternative Therapies (published early last year), an invite to write an article for a teacher's journal in Sao Paolo published a couple of year's ago and 2 weeks ago an invite to be interviewed for the World Service of the BBC. But I reckon a request from the US navy tops 'em all [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    There's a popular misconception that sitting in front of a computer for hours at a time limits social contacts but I've never found that to be the case, quite the reverse in fact.

Dynamoo,

My friend works for the U.S. war department. When you're finished with the Navy project he wants you to tell them where the hell Osama Bin Laden is hiding and what his new face looks like.

That is cool Dynamoo!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Still, I have a couple of even more impressive emails to answer from wives of deceased African dictators, so I must get on <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hmmmmm.... :rolleyes: I wonder what is the expertise they got so excited for. Does this have anything to do with sex Dynamoo? LMAO! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

When I think about it....Taking care of African widows that are loaded with money is not so bad. Go for it!!! :cool:

[added a sentence]

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: AlexBet ]

ABW Ambassador
    The ego trip is fun, but an even bigger issue here is whether you'll be able to turn it into some free exposure / more traffic for your site!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The ego trip is fun, but an even bigger issue here is whether you'll be able to turn it into some free exposure / more traffic for your site! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly I'm the #1 relevant ranking in Google for that particular search term anyway so I'm pretty easy to find.

TMD5 & hershey - :cool: it's good to see the media use the same search engines we do!

As for Osama bin Laden, he's working in my local McDonald's I think.

Alexbet:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When I think about it....Taking care of African widows that are loaded with money is not so bad. Go for it!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah all they need is some help to get the funds out of the country. I'm flying off to a secret location with $50,000 cash. (Or is that not a good idea) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Dynamoo, if you play this right you might get your URL(s) in front of some new people in other places besides Google. Be on the watch for opportunities, because if Google hiccups some month you'll be grateful for every other source of traffic you've built. (Been there, done that!)

I have an idea! Let me talk with our military force. May be they order you site... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have an idea! Let me talk with our military force. May be they order you site... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The tracking already shows up military visitors from different countries. Trouble is that there's don't seem to be any affiliate programs offering tanks or fighter aircraft [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Didn't CJ have a military screensaver merchant or something? I just looked and can't find anything.

Yes, Military.com used to be a merchant on cj but discontinued it last year. You can still get free content for your webpage though here:

http://military.com/Resources/tools/tools_main/1,12 153,,00.html

whoops...spelling error

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: snikkers ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The tracking already shows up military visitors from different countries. Trouble is that there's don't seem to be any affiliate programs offering tanks or fighter aircraft --Dynamoo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's an affiliate program to get into. Oh no, only one sale... but my commission was nine million dollars. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[manual spell checker]

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: Planetwide Exodus ]

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread