almost 30 days displaying Y! ads = 4000 imp, 1 click?
    a space that usually has google adsense with a few click here and there, now has Y! with only one click in almost 30 days...I'm getting ready with my steel toe boots.

Same here I just don't get it. Will probably drop them today myself
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

After thinking about this for about 5 minutes I removed them from my test site.

All speculation here but a thought I have to throw out there.

After watching Ben's video's on pop ups and domain targeting is it possible that the url that yahoo uses in the javascript could be targeted by someone. First thought that comes to mind is a cpa network that loves to do this stuff. With Y supporting spyware at some level it wouldn't surprise me that they would be targeted themselves by the same thiefs they do business with.

This is just a thought, anyone else please chime in
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Last month, all of a sudden, my clicks from YPN went down to almost nothing, after a few months of very positive results. They assured me things would be back to normal and that the temporary glitch would be worked out. Those days of "lost clicks" never righted and I pulled all YPN ads off my site. Shame ... they seemed like a really good option in beta.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Yeah, not quite trusting enough to switch Adsense to YPN on my main sites. I've still left YPN on some of the lower traffic sites for now, just to see how well they'll perform over the long run.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

I think its normal to have 1 click for 4000 im. People usually ignore ads.

Hey,

Are any of you using any kind of tracking service for the click thrus, or just relying on the stats in your account area?

Robert

I do great with YPN. I average about 1 click for every 3800 impressions, so 4000/1 sounds about right. I earn substantially more per click than with AdSense and despite fewer clicks my overall earnings are much better.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I am seeing 6 clicks per 1000 impressions.

I dont want to state what I am doing but if I ever fell into 1 click per 4000 impressions I would shoot myself in the head to end the misery.

Why would you keep these links up or are you guys kidding with me.

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I dont want to state what I am doing but if I ever fell into 1 click per 4000 impressions I would shoot myself in the head to end the misery.

Why would you keep these links up or are you guys kidding with me.
    I think it really depends on your topic matter and quantity of traffic. My traffic is very difficult to commodify and I get tens of thousands of impressions per day so I'm very happy with my performance.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Yahoo ignores me.

Send an application, an email, an inquiry. And. . . nothing.

Not a service-orientated or responsive bunch.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    As a yahoo advertiser, I can tell you that my campaigns and others I discuss with people, are all being turned way down or off. As Y let's in more bad distribution partners, the returns have fallen through the floor. Many are turning content match off or lowering their bids to the minimum. This will impact everyone on the other end who acts as an affiliate publisher. The discussions and revealings got serious enough at another board in the last 2 weeks, that they were deleted entirely without notice there, as if Yahoo had somehow put a stop to it.

If fewer people are pumping less money into the front end, those of you on the other end will get much less.

Yahoo has announced in the last few days that their ad revenue expectations are being significantly lowered (go check their stock prices as a result and look up the analyst's remarks about it all, this announcement made by Yahoo in the last several days).

If Internet use is booming and growing, why are the expected / forecasted ad revenues at Yahoo being revised down? They know about the competitive landscape. They can see all that coming. Overall, I assert their ad revenue is shrinking because advertisers are turning down or turning off content - cuz it's garbage.

Content match at Yahoo yields terrible ROI cuz there's so much junk (I don't mean sites that are somewhat ugly - I mean fraud, manipulators, scammers, poppers, etc) in their content network that is getting to the proportion that make the whole thing virtually useless as an advertising channel.

And project Panama (their redesign and overhaul of their ppc engine) is still in limbo and is already overdue and its exact timeframes for rollout are still unknown... with new announcements of lowered ad revenue projections, the stock market will punish Y and perhaps then, questions will be asked then about why and they'll have to answer.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Y use content match on Y?
    Donuts is right on with his comments on Y. I recently had a two hour bun chewing phone session with a Y rep regarding the garbaging of their PPC SE that they have successfully achieved.

He all but acknowledged that they have been innundated with complaints from advertisers about ROI. While the guy I spoke with tried his best to smooth it over, he kept hanging to the rehearsed CS protocol until I finally blew my lid. (nice thing is I was able to get him past the canned answers without even one word of profanity!)

I've used Y for four years now on other programs we own or promote through ppc. In the beginning, the ROI was fair to good. While nothing to write home about, the content searches rendered a decent number of sales.

Then about 2 years ago the conversions started shrinking while mysteriously the CTR started drastically increasing. Since then Y has literally become reminiscent of 2nd tier engines results, only more expensive.

Thankfully, over a year ago we turned OFF the content match on Y as it was making us sick to see the difference in ROI, which is greatly reduced by the junk partners they are bringing into the content searches. Pure junk to be mild.

As for where Y goes from here with PPC, I see two most likely options.

1.) their revenues drop even more, which will drop their stock price further and further. Then when it has dropped far enough, perhaps, just perhaps stockholders and the board will possibly shake things up. They will then have to CLEAN up their act, bring quality partners to the network and undertake a major campaign to try to recapture lost advertisers. Recapturing lost business would again reduce the cost for ppc on Y.

2.) they keep going the same direction they have been headed for the past two years, desperately groping for any and all junk content partners that can increase their click revenues. Of course this would topple their revenues even further, taking us back to option (1).

I'm very disappointed in the corporate greed that led to this ever cheapening of their image. However, surely if they fade, perhaps a door opens for another SE to become a big time ppc player. It would be nice to have several major players vying for business. Keeps it price competitive. We've all seen how they start out kissing the ground advertisers walk on, and then how that changes as they grow. Price competition is what drives free enterprise systems - so hopefully some new faces appear at some point.

Until then I agree with Donuts, and I would advise others (as I have done with affs in these other programs) to avoid the content matches on Y.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    All the Y accounts that I manage have content match completely turned off.

The legitimate publishers on the other end of Y match, feel these affects as fewer advertisers pump money in the front end. As a result of that, you see posts and news about sites migrating from Y to G and soon M.

Search Engines talk a good game about advertising relevancy - and it is important to consumers. The next rising issue is certainly the distribution quality of ad partners as it is becoming a clearly evident key to success. For every schmuck an engine lets in, 10 will leave for richer environment. Cleanliness / Quality is becoming the second pillar of being a succesful engine (behind consumer experience / relevancy). Yahoo's going to pay a lot to remind / teach themselves, and other engines, this lesson.

As I've posted before, I think engines know they can't police quality upfront - so they need to track quality via conversions. Google Analytics is one way to do this. They can see, in aggregate statistics, what is working versus what's just consuming clicks.

They will need to offer us conversion tracking on a tiered basis where their distribution network is not all lumped together. All apples in one barrel is too risky for advertisers and for the engines themselves.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Y oh Y
    Amen!! Right on Donuts. Y is positioning themselves to learn - or should I say RE-learn the hard way. I've also talked to G many times about specific tracking on content conversions. So far they say they cannot do that - but I can also remember when they told me they couldn't offer seperate keyword bidding on content clicks...
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Electropulse
    a space that usually has google adsense with a few click here and there, now has Y! with only one click in almost 30 days...I'm getting ready with my steel toe boots.

they rent cheap adv space why do you have them on your site, cant find any suitable aff programs?

I think to have part of the site reserved for Google adsense adds is just a waste of money. Same goes for Y! - never signed with them & never will.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!!!

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!!!

Rhea, don't mess with the time machine!

I need to get back one of this days, ok?

Swedish Girl, Electropulse said that he was taking a break from all of this, his last post was on December 19th, 2006

May I ask why you reply to one of his posts from June 21st, 2006?

Can I make a bet on the real answer?

But no hard feelings, OK?

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread