Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Google Affiliate Network?
    Google Launches ValueClick Killer

http://internet.seekingalpha.com/article/12363

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    "This morning, soon after the market opened, I shorted ValueClick. Stock buyback or not, this spells the end of ValueClick’s Commission Junction business."

Bold words.

That sure was interesting. So they're going to get into the affiliate business, too?

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    This will be very interesting to see how it develops ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Hmm, this could be interesting.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

15 years and counting
    That's Google answer to these idiots at ValueClick CJ.
    To try to switch CJ from an Affiliate Network to an Ad Network was the wrong decision.

Internet Cowboy
    GO Google!!!!!!

Someone has to step up and show CJ and VC that they are not God!

1) ValueClick gets jealous of Google's PPC profits and free site traffic data

2) VC notes that they already have a huge install base and starts to change CJ into a CPC model to take on Google and obtain free analytics

3) GOOG, instead of standing still to fight CJ, decides to reach into both honeypots, CPC and CPA.

VC is heard to mutter, "oops..."

OH BABY!

WOOT FREAKING WOOT!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Not good news, for them that is.

Wonder what we will all be doing next year

Good move, Google.

Things are gonna get exciting!!

Who's next? Yahoo?!...

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    WOOT FREAKING WOOT!
    Oh, yeah...

Geno

CJ wants to become Google and Google wants to become CJ, but at least Google isn't dropping AdSense to become CJ.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I LOVE IT! I already enjoy Adsense and make okay money, but now its just gonna get better.

I was wondering when this was going to happen. When I was using Froogle and they suggested I upload my products into Google Base also - it occured to me then.

I wonder if they will serve up products the same way they serve up adsense? So its ads based on context and not necesarily based on what specific item a publisher wants to promote. Unless the publisher will be writing pages for specific products.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Go Google!
    Google Rocks, they will show CJ, VC and SAS how to do affiliate marketing the best.

http://www.EverythingFurniture.com

One interesting note:
    "How can I promote the CPA ad unit?

Since this is a test and these CPA ads are not regular ad units, we are giving you more flexibility in saying things like “I recommend this product” or “Try JetBlue today” next to the CPA ad unit. However, you should still not incite someone to click on the ad, so saying “Click Here” is not ok. "

So do you think this means that they don't give affiliate the links. Affiliate can only display CPA ad units.

I added some commentary on my blog. DIGG if you have a moment, please!

http://www.digg.com/technology/Googl...nd_of_ADSENSE_

ABW Ambassador
    Why would you think the end of Adsense? It's just another market they're getting into. Adsense isn't going anywhere, they just need to do better in who they let in.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Why would you think the end of Adsense? It's just another market they're getting into. Adsense isn't going anywhere, they just need to do better in who they let in.
    Sorry, that is simply exaggeration for the DIGG headline Digg marketing 101 hehe

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Why would you think the end of Adsense? It's just another market they're getting into.
    What if Google combines product images with Adsense but the affiliate lacks control over the display of products? Display withoutout my "approval" has already happened with Amazon links on my sites.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    It wasn't mentioned (or maybe I missed it, I get tunnel vision sometimes) but, will they tell you how much your will be getting? What I don't like about adsense is that you have no clue what percent of the pie you are getting. Is it 25% or 75% or something else. Only google knows. (Hence as I have said b4, you really don't have a contract with google regarding adsense, there is nothing for them to say, for click XYZ you get 0%). Does anyone have a sneaky suspicion that they are lowering the percentage per click on adsense?

But if they are going to have a CPA, would you really join a program when the terms are not spelled out. i.e. 10% of sale or $5 fixed price etc. I haven't been offered the test and thus I don't know what I would do. But for us affiliates, I see no reason to test google's new thing without 1) knowing what percentage we will get and 2) extra incentive just for trying. After all, I already have a gagillion (maybe we should call it a googlillion) merchants already. Why try something new, with no track record who isn't even paying you a premium. But of course no one offered so its easy to be high and mighty now.

Anyway, leave the testing to the fools, let them risk tracking problems and outages and other things. Once the thing is up and running (and I know what the terms are) then I'll join it. Is this the end of cj? probably not and I hope not too. I don't want one company that much power over my revenue stream, I like multiple networks, it gives me a "You do this and I'll move to another network threat." Whether one does it or not, its nice to have.

Mike
    Last edited by ojmoo; June 21st, 2006 at 06:08 PM. Reason: fix typos

ABW Ambassador
    "But if they are going to have a CPA, would you really join a program when the terms are not spelled out. i.e. 10% of sale or $5 fixed price etc. "

I'm sure they would spell it out and work out any kinks with the testers. I like more competition, good for affiliates and merchants. Now we just need the major UK networks to come on over and setup shop.

it would be great if this combined the positives of aff. marketing and adsense

aff.) more control over content, detailed payout information
    adsense) less worry over parasites and tracking

a big IF though..

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Why would they spell out the CPA terms when they don't spell out the CPC terms? Google is very secretive. It never said in the article anything about the terms.

ABW Ambassador
    Adsense works differently, they were the first with something like that, they're getting into CPA where everything is spelled out. People aren't going to change from places where everything is spelled out to a place where it isn't. Google couldn't compete like that and people aren't going to try a new CPA network where it isn't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast