ABW Ambassador
    I can't even get a darn text link without it timing out. Jeesh......How do they expect to sell anything. When I put click on links...it times out. I'm on cable, that's bad......

------------------------------------------------------------Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open. Thomas Dewar

I get that a lot as well. Seems Catalog City and Go Collect are the worst. I think it must be due to the number of links they have.

I'm also on cable, so I know it's not me. Other merchants like JCWhitney have a lot of links as well, but I don't have as much trouble with them.

Maybe CJ will address this on one of their "maintenance" updates.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    isn't catalog city just one of us? an affiliate of a bunch of other sites?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Yep! But their gimmick is that visitors can buy from all the sites at once through Cat. City's single order form. So it's a *bit* different from a regular virtual mall site, in that customers have to go to each merchant seperately on most aff. sites but not at Cat. City.

It's been said that every merchant on that site has an aff. program even if the merchants don't say so, so you can just go and work private deals for the ones that interest you and beat their 5%. The difference would be that you wouldn't have that single order form, or as many products. But that also means less dead links to maintain and more commissions!

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

ABW Ambassador
    They just had a few coupon codes, I was going to put up, and wanted a fresh link....Guess they won't get one now.

------------------------------------------------------------Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open. Thomas Dewar

I got tired of the "Let's Make A Deal" landing pages at Catalog City. Then I found out that some of the places you promote through Catalog City for 5% would pay you 12% if you signed up directly with them.

Why take a canoe when there's a yacht available?

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Merchant A gets approached by CatalogCity (Duperaffiliate) to up their normal 12% commission to 14% and get on their traffic/sales program foe a fee. Merchant A gets some prime listings at Yahoo stores & auctions as a spiff. CatalogCity builds a clugged system that is supposed to track there own affiliate sales at the 14% (merchant A's cookied network link) and figure out the measly 5% from the second party affiliate under their CJ program. Can you imagine the loopholes and tracking nightmares in this senerio.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    yeah..thats was my point. Although I have experimented with a few of their links and had a few conversions.

I might be missing something here but wouldn't it be beneficial to promote catalogcity over other merchants who pay less than 5%? I saw a few examples like abtelectronics and tigerdirect (who pay out less than 5%) but are listed in catalogcity. Promoting them via catalogcity would boost income no?
    I am not an affiliate of catalogcity. Do they track and report ok? Any reasons to stay away? Obviously if you can go straight to the merchant and get over 5% commish, stay away. But for merchants that offer 3% or 4%, wouldn't it be better to promote them through catalogcity?

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

Suggestion: If you have a merchant paying you 3%, and Catalog City is paying 5% for the same merchant, write to the merchant. Say, "I can switch all my links to Catalog City, and earn 2% more." I did this, and the merchant wrote back that they didn't want to lose me as an affiliate, and upped me to 5%. And I didn't have to change all those links. Whew!

Edited to add afterthought:
    Catalog City is most likely getting more than 5% from the merchant, so it is worth it to them to bump me to 5% rather than have to pay Catalog City their higher percentage.

It is worth it to me to settle for 5% because if I did go to Catalog City, every sale would be extended and I would have to wait an extra month to get my money.

Also, thank you Leader for pointing out you can contact merchants directly even though they don't advertise an affiliate program. That is the one frustrating thing about Catalog City. I'd much rather promote the merchant directly, but could never find an affiliate program advertised on their sites. Common sense that they must have one somewhere if Catalog City has a deal with them.
    ---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

ABW Ambassador
    Well I finally contacted a few merchants of theirs to see about inhouse, Only heard back from one...and for 8%. Yahoo.

I don't overly promote Catalog City, but I just wanted to add it to a page, and no pervail.

So I guess slowly but surely I'll see about inhouse programs on those that aren't at the big 3.

Thanks Leader.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread