Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    New LMI/Javascript Links Are Available Now
    Javascript is default. You have to click Legacy Link Code (non-JavaScript) to get the normal links. And when you click on that link, you get this:

JavaScript technology is now the default for Commission Junction links. In order to take advantage of future enhancements, we encourage you to incorporate JavaScript links. For a limited time, you may access legacy code for this link by selecting the 'Access Legacy Code' button below.

Ok, tried some out. I use mainly text links. So with the new links you can still choose your text and stuff so it looks exactly the same as the old ones. So that gave me absolutely no benefit. What it does is slow down the pages and makes it so the search engines can't read the text. Couple negatives. Good job CJ.
    Last edited by Trust; June 23rd, 2006 at 01:51 AM.

anyone know how to insert JS in wordpress post ? i'am totally confuse now

I just took a brief look and there's absolutely no way these links will work with my system. I do redirects and internal click tracking, so there is no way to cleanly use Javascript. I would have to create some wacky intermediate page that asks for a second click to proceed to the merchant. I also lose control over what image to use on top of the link. I create custom "Redeem" and "Buy Now" buttons that fit my brand and design. I rarely use banners or merchant creatives. If they remove the legacy links I simply won't use these Javascript links.

Edited to add: It does look like you can change the image for some banner links, but I haven't tested it. This still doesn't solve the redirect problem though.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

this is totally $vck

Unhappy
    There is a way to use JS in wordpress.
    It involves using a tag like:
    -- in your post.

Where and how to use it depends on different variables.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Javascript

Some javascript, like dynamic banners and search boxes, I have Never gotten to work correctly in Wordpress. On time recently it broke my whole site dynamically , and I did'nt notice it for DAYS!

edit: my tag not showing up, just visit the link

ABW Ambassador
    Put up a couple on one page to one merchant, one text link and one banner. You can't format the text in the link - meaning if you use styling like bolding you're SOL. Screws up the appearance of the page.

Also, nothing shows up for the banner but a blank space. Even if it did show, it's a serious usability issue if screenreaders have no alt text to read, and they might not be able to detect the link even if alt text were there.

Hmm. not great.

Documented my first impressions here:
    LMI First Impressions

And created a test page here with a few samples.

http://www.jangro.com/cj-lmi.php

As you can see, I was able to paste the javascript tags into wordpress. Some bad stuff happens to the formatting, especially in Safari, either because of the script tag, or the form tag that's coming back in the javascript output.

I'll be busy tearing this open over the next few days.

hi jangro

how you paste javascripts in wp ? i try but didnt work

.....and it looks like if you try to create a bunch of links at once there is NO option to create HTML links....the best, most intuitive interface in the biz with tons of great merchants doesn't mean much when decisions like this are made....Well, it looks like it is only going to get harder to work with CJ from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Affnice
    how you paste javascripts in wp ? i try but didnt work
    I just pasted the code in. My blog is still on version 1.5 and I don't use the advanced editor, so maybe there's some issue with JS on 2.0 Wordpress or maybe the advanced editor kills the script tag? Just guessing for now.

That link above that simcat posted seems to indicate that there's some workaround required. But it wasn't necessary for me, so I haven't read it thoroughly yet.

Angry
    My workaround does'nt seem to be working for CJ links (for me)
    I tried a site59 link.
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

edit:
    Okay, A banner from another merchant is working fine for me, but not the text link above?

i get it just turn off rich editor

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    There's no PID-AID code in the link! one can't track which website the click/sale comes from anymore unless done manually through the CJ interface. I wonder how to do this when the JS links are a part of the datafeed. CJ gives datafeeds only for one (default)PID, One has to then find-and-replace the PID in the Buy_URL so that website tracking is possible.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, how's that work? The only number I see in the text link is a 4 digit number after placeholder- and they're just random 4 digit numbers.

Where in this does it identify me or my sites?:

script type text javascript language javascript src http : // www xxxxx net placeholder-4578 / TARGET = _t op & MOUSEOVER = N script

Does anybody know what the number after placeholder- is supposed to represent? I don't see any site id/affiliate id unless that's it and it doesn't look like that would be it.
    Last edited by Trust; June 23rd, 2006 at 03:43 AM.

im glad i just post the links from the buy.com newsletter she said those won't ever be js links

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    im glad i just post the links from the buy.com newsletter she said those won't ever be js links
    So we can ask our merchants to just send us HTML links from now on ... I'm sure that'll make them happy.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Unless I'm missing it, I checked a bunch of text links and banner links and I don't see my PID, affiliate id in any of them. Just 4 digits after "placeholder-" and they're all different. That looks more like a link id, the same id everyone else would have using the same link. I searched for placeholder in CJ and nothing comes up. So don't see how you can track sales like that. Anybody see more than 4 digits?

I think CJ should provide some sort of a documentation on the more technical aspect of things when it comes to using the JS links. that should clear a lot of things up. untill then, all we can do is guess what is what. and I'm guessing that the four digit code is some unique identifier in a database, that has the PID and AID for a particular link. and the database then sends the AID/PID.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Someone make a test purchase and report back to us!

ABW Ambassador
    I was reading Jangro's blog http://www.jangro.com and

"My first observation is they’ve got a parameter in the src url called “placeholder-xxxx”, where xxxx = a number. Each time I create a link, this number increases by a few. I’m guessing that each time someone generates a link, this number goes up by 1. I’m in the door early with the 1,299th link generation. I guess I can put any number in there and get some random links that someone else has created. We’ll put that aside for now, and play with that later."

So if that's the case, eventually that placeholder number, if it is our id, will just go up and up and up. They should have had something at CJ explaining it.

Oh, right . .the placeholder is calling a link - the normal html link, in the JS format . with th PID and AID. into the scripted src space. I guess this is to make sure what I am missing isnt possible anymore. no changes possible in the links unless they are made using the CJ interface. This is bad for large sites, worse for small-companies like mine. I'd have to give my CJ password to all employes who even code plain HTML - this is NOT good.

what is called into the link using the placeholder src looks something like this in code:

(see attachment)
    Attached Files Attached Files

LOL, why did those things appear as forms?

a few minor points...

checked a few advertisers and had to login again for some reason?

the url under 'advertiser detail' is all screwy for some merchants (most seem okay)

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I just took a brief look and there's absolutely no way these links will work with my system. I do redirects and internal click tracking, so there is no way to cleanly use Javascript. I would have to create some wacky intermediate page that asks for a second click to proceed to the merchant. I also lose control over what image to use on top of the link. I create custom "Redeem" and "Buy Now" buttons that fit my brand and design. I rarely use banners or merchant creatives. If they remove the legacy links I simply won't use these Javascript links.

Edited to add: It does look like you can change the image for some banner links, but I haven't tested it. This still doesn't solve the redirect problem though.

- Scott
    anyone know of a redirect workaround?
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast