Is this normal/typical
    What is the cause of a website not being accessible at sometimes in one location but accessible in other locations at that same exact time? Last month my sites were not always accessible by me at home, but others did not have that problem. (Get the time out, 404 or not available message) Now a business friend in another state cannot access his site at his home (same host) but I can get to his without a problem and he can access his sites while at work. Other times last month I could not access my site or his site and he had no problems with either. I am sure this problem had a huge effect on my sales last month. As sales are still down some this month I am assuming things are still off somewhere. Each time I contacted tech support last month I'd get an apology and the problem has been resolved reply. No explanation is ever given and I repeatedly ask. What causes this? Is problem typical?

It also happened a couple months ago and their reply was we're not having problems your site is fine which ticked me off because it wasn't. They blamed my dsl service. At that time my friends site were also unavailable to me though he had no problems. I am ready to launch 2 more sites but now feel I need to find a new host (probably an understatement there lol).

Thanks for any insight into this.

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.internettrafficreport.com/namerica.htm

Q:*What is "packet loss (%)?"
    A:* Packet Loss measures the reliability of a connection. A known chunk of data is sent to the router and then the router is supposed to send the same data back unaltered (echo). In the case of something like ping, several packets are sent out over the course of a couple seconds. So, if 10 packets were sent out, but only 8 made it back, then that would be 20% packet loss; so the more packets that are sent, the more accurate the picture of what the actual packet loss is. In a perfect world 0% packet loss is what we all want - every packet we send out makes it to where it's supposed to go. In reality, some packet loss is probably going to happen, but as long as it is under 5% or so you shouldn't even notice. So just remember that the higher the packet loss percentage, the slower the connection will work because in most instances it has to send the same piece of information several times.

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    http://www.internettrafficreport.com/namerica.htm

Q:*What is "packet loss (%)?"
    A:* Packet Loss measures the reliability of a connection. A known chunk of data is sent to the router and then the router is supposed to send the same data back unaltered (echo). In the case of something like ping, several packets are sent out over the course of a couple seconds. So, if 10 packets were sent out, but only 8 made it back, then that would be 20% packet loss; so the more packets that are sent, the more accurate the picture of what the actual packet loss is. In a perfect world 0% packet loss is what we all want - every packet we send out makes it to where it's supposed to go. In reality, some packet loss is probably going to happen, but as long as it is under 5% or so you shouldn't even notice. So just remember that the higher the packet loss percentage, the slower the connection will work because in most instances it has to send the same piece of information several times.
    Interesting, thanks for the link...and the information...

Thanks, that is a big help. It clears up some things for me.

Just want to make sure I understand. If I cannot get to my site at all for 24-48 hours but some others can it is probably due to packet loss. So it is safe to assume that the problem is on our hosting service end; that for whatever reason our hosting service and/or their internet access provider and/or network server is not really able to handle the load as well as one might hope? I assume it's not my internet access provider because my friend has a totally different provider. Although this problem can be expected since the problem is so noticable this is not acceptable.

Thanks again

ABW Ambassador
    I can say for sure but it COULD be a bad router somewhere between you and the serve.

[fix typo]
    Last edited by Adam Ward; June 23rd, 2006 at 11:33 AM.

Many thanks Adam!

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread