open new window while using jump.php
    I can't find any info on using a jump.php redirect for affiliate links and still be able to have it open in a new window. I had been using target="new" and now that I've changed my links over to use the jump.php redirect it doesn't work.

Does anyone have an idea what I can use to solve the problem?

Kirk

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    What part doesn't work... opening a new window or the jump.php script on that new window redirecting to where you intend to send the visitor?

I sent people to my "jump" php pages, on many sites, in new windows - all works fine, but I've coded them myself. I happen to use target="_blank" in my original page, to open the jump script page in a new window, but I doubt that target="_new" versus target="_blank" is your issue.

Hi, Donuts
    I use if($_GET['m'] == "link on my website") {$link = "http://affiliate link&subid=0&type=4";}
    It works fine like this but if I add {$link = "http://affiliate link &subid=0&type=4" target="new";} it redirects to my home page.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Kirk

so you do this...
    <?php echo '<a href='.$link.'>anchor text</a>'; ?>

change it to target="_new"... you need that underscore to precede the word new

also, the quotes that contain the variable aren't being included, php interprets them to be marking the beginning and end of the variable, when you define it. To tell php that a quote isn't marking the variable, but rather is part of the variable text string, you need to escape the characters with a backslash.

So use this instead...
    $link = "\"http://affiliate link &subid=0&type=4\" target=\"new\"";}

So when php sees \", it knows that quote is in the text string. And the quote marks at the front and last positions of defining the variable are not escaped with a backslash, so php knows they are the markers defining where the text string variable begins and ends.

Hi, Donuts. I know this is trivial to you and I'm grateful for your help. I am still having trouble making it work.
    On my home page I have an affiliate link I named mysite.com/Jump.php?m=airpurifier

I have a page named jump.php with this
    <?PHP

if ($_GET['m'] == "") {$link = "http://mysite.com/";} // Default Blank
    if($_GET['m'] == "airpurifier") {$link = "http:// xxxxxxxx&subid=0&type=4";}

header("Location: $link"); // Jump to the hiddden affiliate URL above
    exit();
    ?>
    Like this it goes to the merchants page, but doesn't open in a new window.
    If I change to xxxxxxxx&subid=0&type=4\" target=\"new\"";} It still won't open in new window and I played around with it adding target="_new" with underscore and other ways and still having problems.

Any other Ideas?

Kirk

Where you have your <a href="jump.php?"> link, change it to <a href="jump.php?" target="_blank">.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thank you Michael Coley!!!!!!
    It works perfect....so simple.....thanks again!

Kirk

I didn't realize you wanted them to always open in a new link - thought you wanted to determine via vars which was the case. Since MC's solution works for you, guess always in new window works for you.

Have fun!

Sorry I wasn't clear Donuts!
    I'm not totally sure what I want! I'm trying some opening in new windows and some not. Don't know what's best.
    I still have so much to learn about the affiliate biz. Making a dollar is moving so slow it's frustrating, but it'll come I khow it. I've worked to hard to give up!!

thanks,
    Kirk

First of all, thank you Knothead, Donuts and Michael for a very valuable thread! It's an old one, but a real goody!

I'm in the process of moving my site to a host with php and wanted to mask my links. The " if ($_GET['m']" did the trick. I had been trying "if ($o" and "if ($m" to no avail.

One last question: should &afsrc=1 be appended to the links in the php file? I was reading in other threads that this is necessary when placing links in a server side file.

True or not true?
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread