I just received an email stating that Lycos is jumping on the bandwagon and planning to charge for keywords. I guess the days of a true search engine are all but gone. I remember when Google started and was a merchant at CJ paying us 2cents per click. Once they got their market share they dropped the affilate program.Now look how big they are,thanks to many of us affilates who promoted them.Goggle has now entered into a new area,mail-order catalogs. It kinda p"s me off because that was my area that I wanted to zero in on. They list catalogs for free to merchants and I think they get paid for forwarding the results. They have become affiliates themselves!
    Is there a Search engine out there where a person can get an honest and unbiased reading?
    Gerry-mailordering.com

ABW Ambassador
    Lycos for Feb 25

this is the last I heard. I paid for 1 url yesterday. Wait and see. I had no idea about the pay per keyword though....

can you please that information.

I think that paying to get in a search engine is like paying a prostitute to sleep with you. I have never paid for it and never will. You gotta at least by her dinner first!(i.e. work at putting relative content on your site.)

I think most of my aversion to PPC's is due to the fact that I was spoiled by my first site http://www.montster.com that had a heap of free traffic so I never had to resort to paying for traffic.

ABW Ambassador
    It is a waste of money. You get in a little quicker by paying, but then you are gong to have to pay every year. Over the long run, if you get in for free you will save a lot of money.

ABW Ambassador
    Well Lycos and Fast joined forces by the looks of things. And I heard that Fast is the best next to Google. It was a whole $30 in total for the one Url. Fast hasn't picked up my site, after waiting, or if so couldn't be found. This was my way of getting in faster.

I paid for the Ink submission as well, but only did one url. It's over done. At least with Fast and Lycos submission it won't be over done quite yet. I'd rather pay out per url at $12 then overture $25 per month, and pay 5cents per click up to $5.00 per click through. I talked to one company who was paying $2.36 for a keyword, ouch.

I spend $100 a month on advertising. Jada who obviously makes tons of money spends more than that, and it's been good for her, so obviously you got to try some trial and error things, till you find what works for you. If you can do it all for free congradulations. One of my sites I never bought anything for it, and it's top 3 in every search engine for its main keyword, but 2 years ago everything was free. Unfortunately we don't have that luxery any more these days. Google is the only thing free.

I'd rather have a guarrenteed listing than wait 6 months or whatever it is. 48 hour refresh is also nice.

Each its own on whether its not to pay or not pay. Just imagine if Google did that.....I bet you alot of people would pay it.

I imagine one day Google will charge just like all the rest. But even if all search engines end up charging, they will still need freebie submissions. Search engines pull up millions of results, but there aren't millions of people in every category willing or able to pay to get listed. So the SE's have to compliment free listings with paid ones, especially if their goal is to provide a good experience for the surfer. Look at Overture. We haven't paid them a dime and yet get traffic from them.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread