Code to eliminate white areas.
    Can anyone give me the code to get rid of the white areas created from records not selected during a creation process. It would save me time. I looked through the postings but didn't see a similar post. I thought this might be faster than going back and figuring it out.

Affiliate Manager
    Could it be that there's white space between WebMerge tags?

In general WebMerge only puts in data where there are tags, and doesn't add anything between tags. So when there's white space like you report in all such cases I've seen yet it was as simple as removing the white space between WM tags.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I have noticed the same problem when using the WM-IndexLabel togethere with the WM-Record tag. Basically, WM puts a blank row when the record is discarded, thus leaving thousands of blank spaces when handling with a large datafeed. This is a pain because you spend hours manually deleting those lines, and I don't know if there is any way to go through that, maybe a WM fix but I'm not sure. Any help?

Affiliate Manager
    The only cases we've seen where WebMerge puts returns in its generated code is when those returns are already in the template. Removing the characters you don't want replicated from between the [WM-Record] and [/WM-Record] tags should prevent WebMerge from replicating them.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Same problem
    1. In answer to the question "how do I get rid of the white space", I use Microsoft FrontPage 2003: Tools/Optimize HTML/Remove Whitespace (click HTML all whitespace). BEWARE! Do not do this to your template! Use this on the generated file only, because it will literally remove ALL whitespace. Does a nice job, though, and the file is quick to FTP and to load in a browser.

2. (My code is based on Frank's tutorial) I have the same problem with generated blank lines in my index of categories, whether or not I remove all the carriage returns (putting everything on one line).

[The forum software removed all my indents]

THIS code produces multiple blank lines:

<table width="215" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
    <tr>
    <td width="196">
    [WM-RECORD]
    [WM-IndexLabel: CATEGORY]
    [WM-FIELD: CATEGORY]
    [/WM-IndexLabel]
    [/WM-Record]
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

Following the HELP, I changed the code to put WM-RECORD tags inside of the WM-IndexLabel tags. THIS code results in multiple duplicate lines (one per input record) of the category name until the category changes:

<table width="215" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
    [WM-IndexLabel: CATEGORY]
    [WM-RECORD]
    <tr>
    <td width="196">[WM-FIELD: CATEGORY]</td>
    </tr>
    [/WM-Record]
    [/WM-IndexLabel]
    </table>

Solved!
    Finally got the right combination (which includes taking all the spaces out as directed). However, I had to put the [WM-IndexLabel] tags INside the [WM-RECORD] tags. This code generates NO extra lines or whitespace.

<table>[WM-RECORD][WM-IndexLabel: CATEGORY]<tr><td>[WM-FIELD: CATEGORY]</td></tr>[/WM-IndexLabel][/WM-Record]</table>

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread