Do you cite your sources when writing?
    When you don't experience it yourself and rely on the info of others like those found on the net. Do you cite the source of the information when you write an article or a webpage? How do you go about this?

An example given by this site:
    http://gervaseprograms.georgetown.ed...rism.html#What
    Michael Jordan hits a fadeway jumper to seal the crown. But let's say I didn't watch the game and I read the result from a newspaper. Then I should write 'Acording to the Herald Tribune, Michael Jordan hits a fadeaway jumper to win the championship.' Doesn't this sound silly when it's a fact that everybody knows?

ABW Ambassador
    This is an excellent topic, and possibly very timely for some of us who will be swapping some of our CJ pages out for content pages on some sites in cases where there haven't been substitute merchants found. It's also applicable for sites that are content-based affiliate sites.

I don't have time to read the whole article thoroughly so I just skimmed through, but keeping in mind that there's a difference between content and sales copy, sales copy is geared toward getting an action, while content is basically to inform, they'd be written differently.

I've got the gist of what the article is saying, after a quick look through it, but off the top of my head, aside from ethical, copyright, duplicate content and legal issues, IMHO if we get some information from a reliable, authoritative source, it improves the quality and credibility of what we're writing if we properly accredit our sources.

It's win/win to do the right thing and give credit where it's due.

Technically you don't have to cite your sources when writeing about a topic unless you are ripping quotes etc from the article, although it helps people know where you got your info from. But if you are a content site it may steer your visitors to your source which may or may not be a competitor.

Besides th sage answer given by WW, it's good netiquette to credit the source if it be an online, or offline accredited source, and yes doing so is a win, win as well.

That said, you wouldn't write 'According to the Herald Tribune, Michael Jordan hits a fade away jumper to win the championship.' as there is nothing to accredit, it's a fact, however if there were pregame rumors that MJ injured his ankle, there you would quote the source.

Make sense?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread