Exclamation Note to CJ - Error: Object doesn't support this property or metod.
    CJ,

Today I decided to test your new "Link Management Initiative (LMI)", and I have no choice but to say that the way that thing works, it's a waste of time and money. Maybe it's not a waste of time and money for you or VC but, I don't see myself testing any more of those Javascript links unless someone else shows prove that those Javascript links are going to work 100% of the time, or at least the way that the SmartZone Javascript links worked before the 23rd of this month.

I tested two of the new Javascript links:

One Text link to EssayEdge.........
    EssayEdge.com Admissions Essay Help - Put Harvard-Educated Editors to Work for You! View 300 free sample admissions essays!

and

One Content link to Medical School Personal Statement Secrets....
    EssayEdge.com contains thousands of pages of free admissions essay advice by Harvard-educated editors..............

When I made that page live, even tho there was no content to read on the source code, everything else on that page looked ok, just like a page made with the old links, but................

But as soon as I clicked on any of the 11 Javascript links on that page (yes, just those two Javascript links that I put on that page, would give me 11 Javascript links to click, in order to get to the EssayEdge site with any of those links.), this is what I got:

Error on page.
    Line: 1
    Char: 1
    Error: Object doesn't support this property or metod
    Code: 0
    URL: ................ a test page on my site........
    So as you can see, if just two of the new Javascript links are going to give me so many problems on just one page, there is no way that I will go any forward using the new Javascript links.

CJ, If the old links are not the default links again, and the new Javascript links don't become optional until all the bugs are worked out, you're the one who will lose more before this year is over. I got nothing important to lose, but I would hate to see you go down for something so stupid as to making the Javascript links the default links, without even testing them first.

The (LMI) may stand for: Link Management Initiative, or just: Lose Money Initiative.

It's your money, so it's up to you!

Sal.

Haven't seen any fans of LMI 1 yet.
    Last edited by hazlcha; June 26th, 2006 at 05:26 AM.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by hazlcha
    Haven't seen any fans of LMI 1 yet.
    CJ is a fan for them.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

The other networks are big fans, too. They love to see CJ make a fool of themselves.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks Mr. Sal for this information. I refuse to even test the new LMI JS links until I see a much more positive result from affiliates here at ABW and so far, it has all been negative with nothing but problems.

If there was a time CJ needed someone here to go over each of the problems we have posted and give us answers, this is it.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    When I click on one of my installed JS - links I get the following IE adress information:

http://www.xyz.com/home.asp?TP=xxxx&...sp%3FTP%3Dxxxx

I am not shure, but as I can see a mail automatically with my ID is sent to cj.com when someone clicks on my link (.....FTP%3Dxxxx). This makes it cj.com easier to see what is going on, and it makes fraudalent merchants impossible to "forget" to report sales.
    I am positive to that change, except technical issuesof course.

roland

If that is true, it only indicates a click, not a sale.

I still don't understand why CJ want the JS links. After hearing so many complaints here, I don't think I will try them any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    When I click on one of my installed JS - links I get the following IE adress information:

http://www.xyz.com/home.asp?TP=xxxx&...sp%3FTP%3Dxxxx

I am not shure, but as I can see a mail automatically with my ID is sent to cj.com when someone clicks on my link (.....FTP%3Dxxxx). This makes it cj.com easier to see what is going on, and it makes fraudalent merchants impossible to "forget" to report sales.
    I am positive to that change, except technical issuesof course.

roland

After using the SmartZone JavaScript links for a couple of years, I know some of the benefits of having some banners, links and also a few product pages made with Dynamic JavaScript Links.

One of the benefits of using the CJ's SmartZone JavaScript links was, that we didn't have to worry too much about banners that go out of season, links that shows the incorrect text to a merchant bonus, special of the week or something similar, also, when a page to show some products from any merchant was made with the SmartZone JavaScript links, even though that page would not have any real content generated for the Search Engines to index, we knew that at least we had a good product page that would dynamically show current content to our visitors, even if it was our job to make sure, that in order to get those visitors to that page, we had to write our own content ourselves.

But the CJ's SmartZone JavaScript links was something optional, it was not forced down our throat like with the new (LMI).

CJ should know by now, that even with the benefits of using the CJ's SmartZone JavaScript links, that not everyone of the CJ affiliates are using the SmartZone JavaScript links. Some affiliates don't like it, some don't know how to use them, and many don't even care or have the need to use them, so how can CJ come up now with the stupefy idea, that by making all the links become JavaScript links by default, they're going to make any good impression on us, the real affiliates.

Maybe their real big publishers would not be affected by the decision of CJ making the JavaScript links as the default links, but that, I wouldn't know because I am just a regular domain bound affiliate, I am not a big publisher.

Just think about this, when we go to get links at CJ, we normally go and get as many links as we want at that moment, and then we go place those links on our sites in the best way we think it would bring us a better result.

But we don't normally go and check every single one of those links to make sure that they work the way that they're suppose to work, because since CJ always have said that "Tracking is not Affected", we have somehow became use to the idea that al least the links will work.

Unfortunately for CJ, the tag line of "Tracking is not Affected", no longer is a valid tag line for CJ, because not only would the Tracking are going to be Affected for sure now, but most of the new JavaScript links are not working, and many of those links are never going to work the way that it was dreamed by some group of people that probably never worked as an affiliate before.

If just by testing one text link and one content link, I was not able to get to the merchant site, how can I go get any more new JavaScript links to update the pages? I'm sure not going to click on every new JavaScript links to see if they work or not, I rather wait and see if CJ will come to their senses, and make those JavaScript links optional until all the bugs are worked out, and at the same time bring the old links back as the default links, or otherwise I too will going to move on and not look back.

And just to be clear in what I have said, I don't think that having JavaScript links available as an option is a bad idea, but having the new JavaScript links as the default links, is not going to fly with the majority of us, specially when most of those new links don't work right, and that's without even mentioning the other issues related with the use of too many JavaScript's on one page.

But at the end, everyone should know what they're doing now, what they may plan to do, and what final decision they must make when the time comes.

Sal.

ABW Ambassador
    "One of the benefits of using the CJ's SmartZone JavaScript links was, that we didn't have to worry too much about banners that go out of season,"

That's not exactly true. It's basically just a banner rotation script. If the merchant didn't keep the banners up to date, the ones you chose for your smartzone, then they're not up to date on your site either. And you don't need javascript for dynamic banners. All the dynamic banners they've always had, have been html links.

Btw CJ,

There are merchants on Commission Junction that like to include some Get Html links on their Newsletters, in order to help their affiliates get the latest code to the links and banners that are hot at the moment; Are they still going to be able to send us those emails with the Get Html link, so we can get the code for those links and banners without having to log in? - or that feature will become obsolete too, because of the new (LMI) idea?

Planning any new venture without a Plan B as an alternative, is a very bad idea. Remember the old saying "Don't burn the bridge until you get to the other side", but like the other saying too "Not until I get to that bridge, will I know what to do there."

Sal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    CJ,

Today I decided to test your new "Link Management Initiative (LMI)", and I have no choice but to say that the way that thing works, it's a waste of time and money. Maybe it's not a waste of time and money for you or VC but, I don't see myself testing any more of those Javascript links unless someone else shows prove that those Javascript links are going to work 100% of the time, or at least the way that the SmartZone Javascript links worked before the 23rd of this month.

I tested two of the new Javascript links:

One Text link to EssayEdge.........
    EssayEdge.com Admissions Essay Help - Put Harvard-Educated Editors to Work for You! View 300 free sample admissions essays!

and

One Content link to Medical School Personal Statement Secrets....
    EssayEdge.com contains thousands of pages of free admissions essay advice by Harvard-educated editors..............

When I made that page live, even tho there was no content to read on the source code, everything else on that page looked ok, just like a page made with the old links, but................

But as soon as I clicked on any of the 11 Javascript links on that page (yes, just those two Javascript links that I put on that page, would give me 11 Javascript links to click, in order to get to the EssayEdge site with any of those links.), this is what I got:

Error on page.
    Quote:
    Line: 1

Char: 1
    Error: Object doesn't support this property or metod
    Code: 0
    URL: ................ a test page on my site........

So as you can see, if just two of the new Javascript links are going to give me so many problems on just one page, there is no way that I will go any forward using the new Javascript links.
    OK Cj, I was wrong!

After I had said yesterday that I was not going to go any forward using the new Javascript links, today I decided to give it another try.

Well, yesterday I happen to pick the wrong merchant to do my first test, today I just finished testing a few links from about 30 different merchants, and only a few of them give the same problem that I had yesterday, the rest of the links worked ok.

What I noticed is that most of the problems were caused by the content links that some merchants have, and except from the EssayEdge site, all the other links and banners from the other merchants that I tested, worked ok.

Btw, as I was getting all of those links, I was just piling them up on the same test page, on different cells to see how long they would take to load.

When I finished with my test, I windup with a big long page with links banners and a lot of content from a couple of merchants that have content links code, and the positive news is that the page loaded very fast, even with a total of 49 Javascript links on it.

So when I am wrong, I am not afraid to admit that I was wrong about saying that those Javascript links don't work, they do work, but only if they are coded the right way, before we copy that code.

I don't know who's responsible to make sure that those Javascript links code are going to get to the merchant, but it looks like it's a human error and not a Javascript error, the cause for some of problems with the content links code of some merchants.

Now, just because I am making this post to admit that I was wrong yesterday for the reason mentioned above, that doesn't mean that I like the "Link Management Initiative (LMI)" the way it's now.

There are still a few more bugs to fix, before those Javascript links code can be accepted as a real solution to anything, so it would be wise not to have Javascript links code as the default links.

And while I am here, I also would like to know, why we're not able to have the links to open in a new window, and why the "Alt" for all the images only display "Null"?

Sal.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread