View Poll Results: When do you plan on trying LMI links?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • I already have.

12 20.34%
  • Soon - within the next month.

0 0%
  • Later - shortly before they become required.

12 20.34%
  • Never - I will remove all links instead.

35 59.32%
    When do you plan on trying LMI links?
    When (if ever) do you plan on trying LMI links?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Talking
    When hell freezes over.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I already have tried a text link and a content link, and it didn't work for me.

Right now is raining on the CJ Mall so, I rather wait to see if the Sun comes out again, but I am willing to go check a similar merchant on another shopping center, if a similar merchant has an umbrella ready for me, because I don't know how long the rain will last, and I am not planning to get wet now.

Just put up one link as a test after not adding a cj link for months. Have to test these things for yourself as you can't belive everything you read on a forum. This is a business you know.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Cool
    actually, I'll try some in between soon and later. I'm having too much fun working up pages using datafeeds right now and I won't pay for CJ's or LS's either.

also, most of my sites are under a SE cloud right now -- hardly any visitors -- so JS links aren't really going to do me much good anyway.

but I'm getting unexpected eBay bid wins, after a two year drought!

ABW Ambassador
    I put them on a site that was sandboxed by Google. It will be interesting to see if Google starts sending it traffic again. However, I suspect that the big G will realise very quickly what CJ LMI links look like ... so I doubt it will work.

I'll play with them but chances are never implement them for anything substantial. Merchants, CJ & I will lose a few bucks if they don't change course.

ABW Ambassador
    I tried them over the weekend to at least give CJ a chance with it and they are totally useless for my websites unless I want to add one link per page, much worse than I expected: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=75009
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ABW Ambassador
    The links still expire. I thought they are supposed to be self-updating and should never expire. so what's the use?

The only difference than before is now, it's more difficult to make legacy links because you have to choose that option EVERYTIME you make a single link.

I will drop all the CJ merchants except EBAY once html links quit working. JS links(like Adsense) just doesn't work for my sites.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    On the 12th of Never
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

The javascript links just arent practical unless all you are advertising is banners. They might work well for big name websites and companies that just throw up banners because they look virtually identical to the legacy links, but when you are setting up your own links and own code and customizing them to fit your needs, they are useless.

I don't plan to use the JS links, if I can help it. They just don't work with my business model.

"Never - I will remove all links instead."

The way my sites are designed, I can't and won't use JavaScript links... too many links per page, and too much of a potential for the JavaScript to unexpectedly f*ck up my site design.

Luckily, 99% of my site income comes from Ebay, who will not be participating in the LMI...
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

Internet Cowboy
    They don't fit my design. For me to use these links would be to "hand-roll" thousands and thousands of pages and that ain't gonna happen.

I have spoken with the upper management of my most important merchants and they assure me that they will not be around when CJ makes this idiocy mandatory either, so I am not real worried about it. They will either go in-house for transaction tracking or they will go to another network. One of these is a HUGE merchant for CJ and I will laugh my ass off when CJ loses them as a result of their poorly-planned LMI fiasco.

I have yet to speak to a single merchant (or affiliate) who thinks this is a good idea.

Well, I started writing my merchants and I'm starting to get the same feedback. They are not happy that this was forced upon them without any choice and are considering leaving when their contracts are up. They don't want to, but feel they really don't have a choice if they are going to save their affiliate programs. One said this is not the service they signed up for and therefore they are not going to participate. I hope they stick to that. CJ simply has to give merchants a choice. They'd be keeping most of their merchants and most of their affiliates.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I tried to use one and it locked my database up. I will not be able to use them without extensive programming revisions, therefore, I will not use them.

I have been assured that legacy links will continue to be available for database driven sites ( indefinately) , but as for adding new links and creative, should that all turn to js, I will not be able to use that.

I am confident, however, that affiliates and merchants will be heard on this one, and that a total switch to js will just not happen.

ABW Ambassador
    This idea from CJ = New Coke

Just do what Coke did and stick to the Original Formula. Listening to your customers, it's all very simple.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    If the HTML links quit working, then it's 404sville for the old pages, and up with new SAS feed-generated pages instead. Even if I thought JS was "something," it'd take forever to do a link-for-link switch! What's up there now is the result of *years' worth* of page making. Forget it.

There's only one merchant at CJ that I'd really miss right now, and from what it says in the thread that Glinted linked to, the JS links wouldn't work on the page that merchant's on. That thread says that all the JS links on a page ended up saying the same thing. But I have at least 5 different links (and banners) going to the merchant on that page, and I want it to stay 5 DIFFERENT links!

Won't touch 'em.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Action Jackson - King of the World
    was this a trick question LOL

Has anybody tried incorporating one of the text links into a paragraph? OUCH!!!! Looks like we dusted off the ol' Tripod E-Z-Sitebuilder.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread