ABW Ambassador
    I need some fashion opinions.

I had a last-minute invitation to go to Winnipeg today (nearest big city, couple of hours away) and while my driver was looking after business I spent some time browsing the sale racks at Holt Renfrew (upscale Canadian retail chain). Well, I fell in love with a skirt, but I had some hesitations. It's ankle length, simple contruction, no trim or adornments or pockets, A-line cut, scandalously expensive even after multiple markdowns ... .... black leather. Buttery-soft, drapey black leather. They're holding it for me while I make up my mind.

Question: living on the Canadian prairies, and spending more time building web pages than reading fashion magazines, I'm a bit out of touch with what's "in". If, for example, I wore it on the streets of New York or LA, would it be seen as classic or clueless?

I'd be interested to hear opinions from both gals and guys. What impression would an ankle-length black leather skirt make on you? Would it say anything to you about the wearer, or would it just be a black skirt? Any suggestions about what to wear with it -- or not!! -- would be welcome, too.

If I did go for it, it would be the single most expensive garment I ever bought. I'm a sucker for great fabric, and this leather .... mmm .... sensuous ... gosh ... this post could almost fit in one of the dating threads. I'm in love, but wondering if I'd be crazy to make the commitment!

Elisabeth Archambault

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Sorry--fashion's not my interest...unless I can SELL it!

ABW Ambassador
    Leader's sales spin persuades everyone except Leader! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Edited to add comment: The "driver" in my first post was the person who invited me on the trip, not a chauffeur. (Someone asked!) Things are going well lately, but not *that* well!!!

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: buckworks.com ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    If I didn't develop an immunity to my own spin, I would spend all my commissions in no time from buying hundreds of products off of my sites! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

A well cut black leather skirt is a timeless classic easily teamed with camel cashmere polo knits, simple shirts tucked in and belted, or out with a soft knit underneath, earth colored tops or black on black for a striking effect.

The other great thing is a well cut black leather skirt can be dressed up or down.

I'm on the other side of the world but well cut classics never die and can be updated year after year with the new seasons accessories and knits.

Of course now you'll have to buy a fantastic pair of black boots [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]...a bag to match, and let's not forget the gloves!

I've always loved classic designs in beautiful tactile fabrics,year after year they prove their worth.

If you love it Elizabeth, and you've tried it on, happy with the fit and it's lined
    Go for it Girl [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It will be one of those pieces in your wardrobe you can go to and know you'll feel great wearing anytime [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"Elizabeth has her own driver lol"

As it should be lol

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with Mouse, and the boots are a must! Just make sure that the skirt does not make you look heavy otherwise go for it!
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Classic! Wind proof in cold weather.

ABW Ambassador
    Elizabeth,

My dear, if you love it, wear it, You'll look great in it just simply because you love it.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I've done it. I phoned the store and told them I'd pick it up when I was in the city again on Monday.

I enjoy shopping online (I succumb to my own spin sometimes!) but it's hard to beat the hands-on pleasures of checking through a good sale rack at a high-end store!

Elisabeth

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread