Talking Public Speaking Tips
    Alright, so I have a public speaking engagement this Wed. I've given them before, but they never get easier.

I'm one of those people who believe death would actually be better than speaking in public.

Call it a cry for help, but for those of you who give these things somewhat regularly, what tips would you have to settle my nerves?

I've tried, but never really got it to work:

1) the whole imagine-everyone-naked thing.
    2) exercising before the speech
    3) deep breathing
    4) and a few other small things

Suggestions anyone? Lay it on me!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Just remember that most of the folks in the room would be as nervous or more nervous than you if they were in your shoes.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

It's actually very simple.

You are there imparting knowledge that the attandees wouldn't get other wise as quickly and as such your helping them (could go on a religious tanget, but no need to) they are there looking up to you as a sage a source and not looking down on you as a supposed.

Look at things from the positive and you'll always be empowered.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Yikes, MB ... I, too, have a horrible fear of speaking in front of large groups. I can act in front of a camera, no problem, but put me on a stage with real eyeballs on me and I freeze. It sucks. You can do this, though.

Think about all the KIDS who get up there, overcome their fear and just do it. They get it done, feel awesome afterwards and you can, too. You have to not think too much. Make sure you know your speech (or roughly what you're gonna say) inside out and then get up there, spit it out and just do it. You'll get through ... also what Haiko said: You're doing them a favor ... YOU'RE the good guy in the situation.

Now, a pointer I've been told many times: pick one or two people in the audience who seem to be most receptive to you and talk to them. Look at them when you talk and just focus on those two (or however many you choose) faces. If you get comfortable, do the same with as many people in the audience as you can throughout your speech. This will keep you from imagining there are way more people out there than actually are. Also remember that you're qualified to be up there or it wouldn't be happening.

A nice big shot of vodka before you go on might not hurt either. LOL

Good luck.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness

Memorize the main points of your speech if you can.
    I once gave a speech to the entire student body of my high school in order to get new students to join the public speaking club (Forensics). I wrote out the speach ahead of time and memorized the entire speech.

Try to think of a related quote or joke that could add some interest to your speech and draw in your audience.
    Very your sentence structure. Ask some rhetorical questions (that are answered by your main points). Gesticulate with your hands on a moderate level (don't overdo it or you will look cartoonish).
    Avoid the "fig leaf pose."
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I'm one of those people who believe death would actually be better than speaking in public.
    It won't help for this week, but find your local chapter of Toastmasters International and get involved. It's a great organization that's been around for a long, long time.

Wow, thanks for the help guys! There are some good suggestions in here (Vodka being one of them..)

Toastmasters is something I'm looking to do as well - my boss said she was a member back in the day. I've located one place here in my hometown that gathers for that.

Well, one more day to get things right. I don't think it would be too bad, had it not been for the fact that the bigger suits are going to be there (oh - did I mention the media too?).

All joking aside, thanks for the tips.

I'll let you know how "well" it went..
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

Internet Cowboy
    Be prepared. Know what you are going to talk about, use notes, but be prepared enough that if you lose your notes you can still get through it and make sense and sound good.

Speak to a mirror at home. It works!

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Alright, so I have a public speaking engagement this Wed. I've given them before, but they never get easier.

Call it a cry for help, but for those of you who give these things somewhat regularly, what tips would you have to settle my nerves?

I've tried, but never really got it to work:

2) exercising before the speech
    3) deep breathing
    4) and a few other small things

I've had the opportunity of speaking on more than one occassion. What I found best works for me is to do the following:

1. Prepare, prepare, prepare (Excellent public speakers know their stuff) this brings a great deal of comfort

2. When speaking, you must lose all self awareness. If you become aware of everything, and who's in the room, you become nervous and will not be effective

3. Some people breath, some people imagine things before going up to the podium. I simply approach the stage with confidence and quickly engage

4. Last, but not least, speak from the heart. Let it flow out of you naturally in sequence and in order.

I hope this helps. Ive learned these lessons over the past 12 years.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    What you believe becomes real to you. If you believe that you are afraid of speaking, you will be. If you have an internal conversation with yourself repeatedly wherein you tell yourself that you are not afraid of public speaking, it can work psychological wonders on you over time.

Sounds like a bunch of crap but really it works. Tell yourself you are confident, that you know your stuff, that everyone is going to love you as a speaker along with the wisdom you have to share, and tell yourself that you're GOOD at public speaking. Even if you don't believe it the first few times you say it, the more you tell yourself these things the easier it gets to get on that stage or in front of that podium.

Like others said, confidence and belief in yourself go a very long way. Not all of us have this trait naturally - for those who don't, self-talk can be a strong and powerful thing.

Good luck! You'll do great!

In my other life away from my J*B I coach showmanship and stage presentation for choruses and quartets around my region. I work with singers, but the points that I teach can transfer to speaking engagements as well.

The main thing I always tell people is never approach a situation apologetically.

Have presence.

You have been asked to be there for a reason. You have information and life experience that can/will help the people in attendance.

It's ok to have silent moments between statements or questions, or when you are moving to your next point. Don't fill those moments in an awkward way with all of the "um..and...uh" type things.

Be prepared. Nothing will make you more nervous than not being prepared. Work so that you can speak comfortably without your notes, but have a good outline at hand. Don't have your notes verbatim and try to read in and out of them. Create a strong outline with your talking points and your stories/examples notated. Make sure you highlight the MUST HAVES in your notes. (The points that without them your presentation loses its punch)

OK, last but not least. If you are talking about true stage fright, the kind that makes you sweat through your shirt, your heart race, and your speech come out like an apology, there is another thing that you can do. (Nobody get on me about condoning drug use here) There is a medication called Enderol. It is a low level beta-blocker that can be taken for stage nerves. Many professional performers take it. It requires a ion, so you must talk to your doctor to obtain it. Essentially, it slows down your heart rate enough that your heart won't race and you can breathe correctly.

I hope some of that will be helpful. Best of luck on your presentation, let us know how it goes.

Sheri

Pretend like it's a regular staff meeting. When it's your turn, you get up, says thank you and then..... Sell your plan to the guy you were sitting next to until you stop shaking, then start finding the rest of the friendly faces around the room.

I get nervous even when addressing a small group. My parents recently renewed their wedding vows and invited many of their church members home for a reception. At the reception I thought I would pass out thinking about making my small speech/toast in front of them. Then I thought well, let
    me speak to some of the church members first and get to know them a little.

And just that simple thing made me fell more relaxed.
    And I was still a little nervous but I no longer felt like I was faint.

Try to get there early and maybe speak to some of the people there
    first just simple chit-chat maybe even related to the subject of your
    speech and then you won't feel like you're speaking to just strangers.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The value of what you say
    Hey Money - two basic tips for your thoughts. (plus one bail out idea)

1.) the audience is your friend, not your adversary. When speaking to a friend, breathing is no problem, nor is it difficult to get a point across. If you see the attendees as your friends (not your adversaries) you can relax and deliver your talk naturally.

2.) identify whether "what" it is that you are talking to them about is based on fact, truth etc. If what you speak about is based on a truthful purpose, program etc - there is no reason to fear delivering your presentation.

** fail safe suggestion.... wear a Depends and loose fitting dark trousers!

Relax - talk to your attendees like they are your friends or acquaintenances and let your natural belief in your product or topic come out. You'll do fine!

Good Luck
    Alan Hamilton
    AmeriTrustRx

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Cold medicine. No kidding.

Years ago I was asked to give a presentation at two sessions of a conference held by a vendor I worked with. As it happened I had a bad cold for the first session and I was taking some OTC cold medication. It was a breeze. I wasn't nervous at all. I thought, "Hey, this public speaking stuff is a piece of cake!"

By the second session, which occurred four days later, I had gotten over the cold and wasn't taking the cold medicine anymore. When I stood at the podium and realized that several hundred people were politely waiting to hear me speak...I broke out in a sweat. I got through it but it wasn't much fun. So, that's why I think cold medicine (the kind that does make you sleepy) is the nervous public speaker's best friend.

Good luck!

Whelp! After a few months developing an application, and presenting it today, all I can say is: it always seems to go better than you initially expect it to!

To tell you the truth (and this surprised me the most), I had not an ounce of nervous energy in me. After one of the directors introduced me to the stage, it just all went smoothly afterwards (no stuttering, no tunnel vision, no racing heart, etc). Here's what I did (and I'm not sure if it helped or not - but i'll do the same next time):

- Told myself that those in the crowd (bystanders, coworkers, directors, media, etc) are all just people. They aren't anything much more different than myself. Having this equal view (or even a condesending view) seemed to be the biggest help to me.

- Chewed gum right up to the point of my presentation. The idea being that gum relieves stress (also helped to losen my jaw muscles for talking clearly and loudly).

- Didn't drink my usual coffee this morning, and didn't eat my breakfast. I had heard in the past that fasting (even though short term here) can ease nerves.

- Made sure to understand my material, but didn't pre-plan a speech, and improvised most of it, with the help of visual tools and a laptop/projector.

- Talking to a few people before the presentation helped loosen me up as well.

- deep breaths, forced pauses between my points, and making sure to enunciate my words.

That's it! Talk about a relief. This has been in the making for a long, long time - and it finished with a great review.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips! Hopefully won't have to do this again anytime soon..

I have found that just smiling helps me keep nerves under control. I play guitar so I'm used to being in front of people, but when I started fronting my own band (singing and playing) I was a wreck...jittery, nausea, pacing before the show, etc. People would approach and ask if I was ok, which didn't help.

I found that if I simply smiled while I was getting nervous that people approached me and said things like "look at you! You're so pumped up - you must love doing this!!!!" ...and if you have other people telling you something, it becomes quite the reinforcer. Soon I DID love doing it!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

ABW Ambassador

I never really bought that one, might work for some. I figure you would either bust out laughing, have nightmares later, maybe just focus on one person and have a silly look on your face forgetting where you are, become aroused (where a podium can serve a dual purpose) etc. Don't like public speaking myself.

I thought I'd chip in my two cents, although there has already been a ton of great advice posted.

After being well prepared, trying to relax, exercising, etc. I am still always nervous right before I go on, so I always plan a fun, rewarding activity to do right afterwards, so that you have something to look forward to. Then I just tell myself to get the speech/presentation over with, so that I can get on with the fun stuff! Also, bear in mind that your speech will only last a very short amount of time, and it will all be over soon!

Good luck, I hope it went well

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1

I never really bought that one, might work for some. I figure you would either bust out laughing, have nightmares later, maybe just focus on one person and have a silly look on your face forgetting where you are, become aroused (where a podium can serve a dual purpose) etc. Don't like public speaking myself.
    lol - I'd probably bust out laughing, only to have nightmares later that night. At almost 30, I'm one of the youngest workers here at this company...so you can imagine how my "imagining" might turn out..

Thanks again for the encouragement and advice fellas (and ladies)..

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread