CJ set up order of operations?
    hi, i'm new to the affiliate game and will be managing evogear's affiliate program in the near future. i'm curious about the best order of operations for getting set up on CJ. I don't want to get the clock ticking on fees so I'm wondering what I should have finished before signing the contract and getting the program going? Any direct would help?
    Do you recommend signing up and then getting creative done and all that after signing the contract?

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Step 1. Read the threads in the CJ forum here at ABW.

Step 2. Sign up with SAS instead of CJ.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

I would recommend reading the CJ forum before you sign the CJ contract. Then after you finish reading this forum, read the ShareASale.com forum.

LOL! Great minds think alike. I posted this before I saw the response from Cagles Mill.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

No real reason why you should delay starting on the creative (other than any technical specifications/requirements, which you should be able to identify already) ... you'll be much better positioned for a successful launch if you've got everything ready to be put in place for the program once the contract is completed ...

good luck.

gds
    GDS

Internet Cowboy
    Read my signature. Avoid CJ. They are making REALLY bad decisions lately and many top affiliates are leaving them as a result of these bad decisions.

Second the Uncle. It's an easy decision for someone getting started - don't join CJ. It's a harder one for those who've been in a long time. Either way, CJ has used up all of its cool points with the affiliates recently.

Spend your time and effort with the more reputable networks (such as Shareasale - who has been fantastic for me so far).

Good luck!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    What Michael said.

Read the articles and make the best decision based on that.

SAS is sure coming up as one of the fav companies out there, but CJ and LS still holds a large % of the aff market

Two months ago I was promoting CJ to new merchants. Not anymore. I would suggest SAS at this point.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Go SaS!!

ABW Ambassador
    In short, CJ is forcing everyone to use Javascript links on their pages (against their will), and rather than have their pages messed up beyond repair, loads and loads of affiliates (who know what they're doing and drive revenue for merchants, some a TON of $) will be turning their backs on CJ and promoting merchants elsewhere instead.

Look before you leap, and don't buy into their sales pitch.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Look before you leap, and don't buy into their sales pitch.
    kwimberley,
    If you take anything at all from this thread, take the line from Webworker that I have quoted above, especially the bolded part.
    Would you place your brick and mortar store in a mall where all the other merchants were leaving in great numbers because the mall management said the stores can only carry one item each or sell to only one gender or something crazy like that? Certainly you would not.
    This is no different.

Talking
    What we're saying is - if you expect to find very many affiliates here at ABW - go to SAS.

If you go to CJ you will probably not get any affiliates from here for your program.

We're all moving away from CJ merchants just as fast as we can re-build our sites.

See this thread for more information http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=75090

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I mentioned years ago that the #1 reason for merchant's paying fees to affiliate networks was to rapidly recruit real value-add affiliates to showcase your wares.... DUH! I also reported, at the same time, that the "Achilles Heal" of any major network was their own neglect of this #1 duty to provide quality affiliate traffic to startup or established merchants.

Outside of SAS no network has the mindset, or balls, to guarantee remuneration or protect the return day cookie of their affiliate base. They refuse to seperate and protect real targeted physical click traffic from the forced click and incentive junk traffic cookie setting tricksters. Therefore those who do send very targeted physical click traffic run that traffic right into the cookie washing landmine of the greed driven last cookie sheisters ruling the roost.

The merchant's decision is simple. Do you hire a network, or an AM, who has no transparancy as to their preference of Who gets rewarded for network cookied transactions based upon the value-add effort of the affiliate partner? This is the #1 factor in making the right decision on network or in-house choice.

If you join a major network negating any SALES responsibility, or have your program managed by someone who thinks all cookied traffic is equal, then be prepared to get screwed by the network and their sleeziest affiliates. Then the cost of doing affiliate business will automatically be inflated by ROI killing coupons, cookie stuffers, BHO's and incentive junk traffic cookie washers, and e-mail spammers. You'll find the legit affiliates, sending highly targeted pre-sell showcase clicks, DO NOT get reimbused proportionally for their extra efforts. Chances of their legit sales showing up in your commission payout report is effected by the cookie setting activities of their affiliate competition.

If your like the herd of merchants out there, you can forego the above suggestions and just drink the normal coolaid on any network choice. Just lead off your program by offering coupons, product SERP spam feeds, SEM/PPCSE direct to merchant linking, while allowing in incentive affiliates and all forms of loyality/reward BHO's. You'll then have no worries as you'll know upfront the last click, or forced click schemers, will drain 80% of your commission payouts with minimum natural SERP effort or on-page exposure.

If your current stats don't show your site converts better then 1 sale per 100 clicks, from all current traffic sources, then do not expect any legit value add affiliates will stick with your program.... if you do manage to activate them.

Go with SAS and take the monthly savings to pay out more to your physical click affiliates. Pay 1/2 the commission rate to those affiliates who have no domain traffic or post on-page creatives, using instead the "direct to merchant" PPCSE game. They aren't affiliate's per-se. They are just PPCSE arbitrage gamblers and simple to find as their PPCSE Ad lands directly on your site with tracking cookie attached.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager jai @ Expedia(SEO)'s Avatar
    hi,

I would do the creative and set up a mock site and approach both SAS and CJ.. and possibly a few direct programs.

With the mock up you can give the business director/sales person an idea what you intend to do and can possibly get a better rate. You can also ask for the contract and ask them to make changes if you feel it is appropriate.

by having a few contracts, you can better manage the negotiations as you have a point of reference in hand which is far better than to just guess at what the market will bear.

You can also state your situation and ask to have the fees waved till the site is fully up or have them removed outright, but that is kinda rare.

Also, by giving the BD a sense of your business plan, you can have a one-sheet of your next steps for marketing, advertising, SEO, and SEM, which should impress them since it will show you are serious and will improve with their help.

I hope this helps

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    kwimberley,

AvantLink would be interested in talking to you as we have many quality Affiliates in the outdoor gear & apparel vertical already:

RockCreek.com Launches Affiliate Program through AvantLink, Outdoor specialty store RockCreek.com partners with the AvantLink Affiliate Network, effectively providing their Affiliates with a fully-integrated and advanced tool center.

Altrec.com Outdoors and AvantLink Affiliate Network Form Partnership, Leading online retailer embraces AvantLink's advanced Affiliate marketing tools, high-level of support and value-add emphasis to performance based marketing.

..plus

CampSaver.com & RackAttack.com, and some additional large outdoor merchants will be on board soon.

>> Outside of SAS no network has the mindset, or balls, to guarantee
    >> remuneration or protect the return day cookie of their affiliate base.

This is not true. I know we're still a new network (less then a year old), but please don't speak for AvantLink in that regard as we put Affiliates and their interests first.

Gary M

What Cagles Mill said!

Go to SAS! (Or Gary)

Do NOT sign a contract with CJ! That would be a very bad move. Affiliates are dumping CJ as hurry as they can go due to their uh....short comings.

Read this petition! It pretty much explains the problem and tells what the issue is.
    http://www.jangro.com/cj-petition.php
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

thanks to everyone who replied to this.
    at first i only received a couple replies and then checked back and there were many.
    we ended up going with CJ for a number of reasons unique to us, but it's only for a year and we can evaluate later. i have noticed other merchants operating 2-3 other programs in addition to CJ too, which is unique. I've also noticed some software out there that allows you to run your affiliate program inhouse, which is intriguing. SAS seemed new, but in 9 months we could move in that direction. Pay for performance works both ways, if CJ doesn't perform we're out.

also, i noticed that CJ houses most of our competitors and has signed on other marquee programs which led me to believe that they would have to know about the issues with CJ and still they chose to sign on. these are companies much bigger than we are. I can't see REI's team agreeing to do something detrimental to their brand and program.

ABW Ambassador
    When they signed up, CJ had no intention of going JS only. If CJ does, that'll change things for a lot of merchants. And I don't think REI is parasite free and if they do have parasites, that's detrimental to the brand.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    All the best. Some aff will not like dual network, just a FYI.

And if you decide to switch networks (like moving from CJ to another network, not dual) it will be the death of your program as all those who built links for you are going to be pissed.

(interesting to see that after your other post was removed, the one where I said you ignored this thread completely, that you decided to finally respond to this one some 40 days later)
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

the problem with running an inhouse network is getting affiliates will be much HARDER. but its practically free other than the commission. check out jrox, it is the best affiliate script i have used.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread