Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Google Update - June 27th
    It looks like Google is in the middle of an update. Anybody experience any changes?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    I always check Webmasterworld because there are people there that sit around all day staring at data centers and:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/34867-19-10.htm

Some people are saying the same thing. So something might be up. Will keep an eye on my stats.

Yikes, I hope what I'm seeing now is not the new update. Seems I was thrown back into supplemental.

ABW Ambassador
    Someone else:
    "Supplemental again ... This happened a few months ago."

So not just me. Seems they have some issues.

Cool
    I saw no real change in the results of a site: command for any of my sites today, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    strangely a large portion of mine came out of supp

ABW Ambassador
    June 4th, July 19th 2005 etc
    That's what the cache says for all my pages that are supplemental.

May 1st, May 4th 2006 etc for the pages that are ok.

So it's a Google issue.

Reading around people are saying another screwup, reverting back to the Supplemental problem they had the last time. It'll be alright, Google will come back around.

ABW Ambassador
    What evidence is there that there's an update going on, other than the usual Google "Everflux" (sheesh, almost mis-spelled that kind of naughty)?

ABW Ambassador
    Some more comments were added to the WMW link above, a few more seeing the same. And my pages went back into supplemental, checked them after Snib started this thread. In the old days it was pretty easy to tell, whenever the Yahoo backlinks changed was the unofficial start. Nowadays it's more a bunch of people seeing the same thing. If there is a major change which it looks like, Webmasterworld will put in under WebmasterWorld Highlighted Posts.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    now what is weird is you guys see pages going in and mine came out. So if this is bad, when it beomes good it will prolly be bad for me LOL.

ABW Ambassador
    Somebody has to take one for the team. We voted it was you

ABW Ambassador
    I've had pages come out of Supplemental all along, but just individual pages on different sites after I made "adjustments."

I just had a bunch come out, and another site get a bunch thrown in but that doesn't tell me there's actually an update.

ABW Ambassador
    >>Some people are saying the same thing

There are only a few people at WebmasterWorld (or elsewhere, for that matter) that I pay any attention to where search is concerned.

Being a newbie, what is supplimental? What does that mean and how can you tell your site/pages are or aren't in there?

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by nmau
    Being a newbie, what is supplimental? What does that mean and how can you tell your site/pages are or aren't in there?
    Go to google and do a search for site: www. nameofyoursite .com

Be sure and remove blank spaces in url.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I've been seeing stuff for the past week and a half. About two months ago, I took a site that was essentially dead and reworked it. Google crawled it a couple times with no changes to the index. On the 17th it finished a crawl and on the night of the 18th a bunch of the reworked pages showed up in the index without the supplemental tag. That didn't last long. By the night of the 19th everything but the homepage was supplemental. I saw flux for the rest of the week. It would revert to old pages (all supplemental) for a while, then new supplemental pages for a while. By the 25th it stabilized with my home page and the main pages under my home page not in supplemental. Google finished another crawl in this time, and on the 26th a bunch of pages came out of supplemental. Then on the morning of the 27th a few more came out and it's been stable like that since.
    One thing I've noticed about my supplemental pages is that the title in the SERPs is messed up. It shows not only what's in my title tag, but also text on the page. Like I didn't close out the title tag, but I already checked and I did.
    But are you still master of your domain?

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by nmau
    Google has historically run a separate index for pages that showed no change over a certain period of time. Those pages may still be served in a search, though, but you hate to see it happen.

All my pages have experienced a drop in rankings, but no supplemental pages. Traffic just trickled in the past two months with a lot of fluctuation in the rankings. Some of my merchants have been inquiring about the drop in clickthroughs and sales lately. But, yesterday most major pages went up and lots of top ten ranked pages. Home page jumped from #11 to #1 for major keywords. Google traffic doubled yesterday. Hope it lasts for a while.
    ~Ernie

It shows not only what's in my title tag, but also text on the page. Like I didn't close out the title tag, but I already checked and I did.
    I've seen the same thing. Its picking up text from my page and putting it in the title tag, or at least what they used to list as the title. Maybe they are changing that.

I quit watching google a few months ago because of all of these issues. Pages a year old being resurrected that aren't there and people clicking on cached links. They are so screwed right now. Maybe all this is due to the billions of spam pages that was just outed. Matt cutts hasn't posted on his blog in over a month.

I don't think they can spin anymore and they are just keeping their mouth shut to protect their brand....

I haven't seen any change in my sites rankings...still screwed one day then not the next...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

ABW Ambassador
    Everything but the root index of my new site is supplemental in Google. It's only been up for 36 days, cache of that page is June 8.

It's generated 17 referrals from MSN and 8 from Yahoo.

I just looked at 15 sites that I have done. 10 are for other folks and are everything from tourism promotion to real estate. These 10 look good in G and are indexed. I'm not checking ranking, but just whats showing in the index.

The other 5 I looked at are mine. One is full of content with a few affiliate links sprinkled here and there and looks fine and has been fine. The other 4 are obviously affiliate sites with varying degrees of thinness. These final 4 had been been removed almost completely from G with big daddy, and are now back with all supplemental. They have some really old supplementals yet the googlebot is always visiting.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Recently, they dropped the number of pages indexed to about 700

but I just checked and

Results 1 - 10 of about 12,300

so I'm happy again

wish I knew how to check what supplemental is

Just checked 2 of my thin sites and one is 15000 and the other has 94,000!!! (maybe cuz part of the site is amazon) pages in site. All are supplemental and the cache is from Aug 2005...lol

I know I've had more recent pages and have been crawled in the index than that One site was ranking first page for tons of terms until Feb this year. Oh well good to be diversified
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

I just know my clicks at CJ and other networks doubled yesterday. Sales were the same.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Some threads starting to take life. Just like here. For some disaster, for others a bunch of traffic back. Could be a bad data push or something. I'm guessing it's like the last time they threw a lot my stuff into supplemental. I think it was an error on Google's part that later got corrected.

June 27 - changes a complete disaster
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/34979.htm

June 27 - fully recovered from 80% traffic drop on March 30
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/34961.htm

It looks like I was hit fairly hard by this update. Traffic is down, but I suspect it'll come back sooner or later. Big Daddy treated me very well over the past few months and now it seems all of that is gone. I believe I'm still getting some traffic, but it's too early to tell how much was lost. There's a lot of speculation about this update and I can only hope this was a bad data push. I'm not seeing my site listed as Supplemental, but my site: results are down by a substantial amount. Google is spidering wildly though and I know things will be fine. At least my focus is on providing value rather than playing the Google game.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast