AdSense and Lowering Affiliate Pages Sales
    I've been trying to find a decent article on how much AdSense can affect the true sales of an affiliate page (not on a merchant site, but on an affiliate site...)

Does anyone know if there's been a published study on both:

The mental effect on the buyer of seeing Adsense ads on an affiliate site? (i.e. the site loses credibility because of the ads).

Perhaps 2 similar affiliate pages, one with adsense and one without, and how their conversion rate tends to stack up?

I had trouble finding something like this using Google...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Lightbulb
    I try to keep in mind that the visitor may or may not find what he wants on a particular page and may go into "surfing mode" looking for a way out and perhaps is just a little computer-unsavvy so can't think of something else to type into the browser addy window.

so if he hits an interesting adsense link with which to leave, I'm ahead.

the alternate in this case is to provide an obvious or inviting search box or more links to interesting pages on the site.

also

talk on this subject has happened in the amazon.com "official" affiliate forum in the past. some claims made. don't know if the AMZN search works but it might.

Thanks Herb. I'm writing a paper on Adsense, and I was just curious as to its more "psychological" effects in the consumer space.

My initial thoughts is that MOST consumers don't truly know what AdSense is anyhow, so it's immaterial.

But you hate to turn off any potential customers. I'll bet they are more damaging on some websites than others, so to speak, based on genre and audience.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    With Adsense TOS we can't divulge any specific so it would be hard to give any firm figures for it making any difference.

Generally speaking, I've found that on topically broader product pages conversions are lower and Adsense clickthroughs are higher since it's more likely people are just browsing. When product pages are very specific and they come in from the search engines, conversions are *very* good and there are far fewer Adsense clickthroughs because the pages have the specifics customers are looking for, so they're likely to click through to the merchant sites.

My best converting affiliate site has a much lower Adsense CTR than the lower conversion sites, which usually have a very decent CTR.

Thanks Web... More to my point, I'm wondering if your targetted product pages would convert better if the AdSense wasn't present on those pages at all.... I'm trying to devise a way to do an A/B type test, but it's tough to get substantial traffic organically to both A and B, so I'm struggling.

Moreso, it's hard enough to get organic traffic just to A... much less B
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread