What is the main problem?
    I understand people are very angry about this change.

Yet i understand there has to be a reason behind it.

so my question is.. Other than having to swap out all your links from your sites and the time involved.

what types of problems does using javascript links cause?

Internet Cowboy
    You need to read instead of starting new threads asking for everything to be explained to you. There are dozens if not hundreds of bonafide reasons that this is not good for affiliates or for merchants.
    - CJ mining data from the traffic of their affiliates and merchants is one of many.
    - Affiliates having no control of the anchor text is another.
    - Links not fitting in to the style sheet used on a given web site is another.
    - Slow load time is another.

Welcome to ABW.
    Take some time to read the threads on a given topic before you start asking questions. The answers to your questions are there.

you said " Affiliates having no control of the anchor text is another"

yes you do.. i logged into my account and looked at one of these java links and their is a field called

TEXT HYPERLINK.. this is where you can change what it says to what you want it to say. then click update html.. then paste the java into your html page and boom it shows it the way you want it

But.. i will agree.. java is slower if you have lots of it on your page.

The only pain i see is

1. Changing out the links
    2. Slow loading

Beyond that I dont see what the problem is..

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Morethanable
    yes you do..
    But spiders don't eat crap.

Well your pages should be filled with good content.. they will eat that.. and not just full of hundreds of links. I see a few ups to this.. as it means people wont be so inclined to fill a page with 40 links.. they will have to be more selective

That should be our decision, not theirs.

having link text that engines can't see is a big drawback. All else being equal, the page with product & category text links is likely to rank higher than the one without text links.

Well your pages should be filled with good content.. they will eat that.. and not just full of hundreds of links. I see a few ups to this.. as it means people wont be so inclined to fill a page with 40 links.. they will have to be more selective
    Good content doesn't necessarily sell products and in the affiliate model nobody gets paid for just having good content. You get paid for sales so a mix of good content designed to sell products, combined with text links will help generate traffic and sales which is the goal of the affiliate and shold be the goal of a merchant and CJ if they want to sell products and pull in revenue for supplying the network.

SEO 101 - don't use JavaScript for your navigation or your text links because engines can't crawl it.
    Last edited by Superstar; June 29th, 2006 at 11:21 AM.

so my question is.. Other than having to swap out all your links from your sites and the time involved.

what types of problems does using javascript links cause?

Read every comment in this petition then get back to us

http://www.jangro.com/cj-petition.php

Later
    J

Internet Cowboy
    You are a CJ troll. You use the javascript links if you like them so damn much. Every affiliate that I have spoken with that makes $10,000 or more per month in commission on CJ is not going to use them.

You have at them. You have the option to use them and I wish you the very best.

ABW Ambassador
    my main problem as I've posted elsewhere (not to mention all the other problems like slow loading pages using JS) is that we were told that obtaining the normal (legacy) links would not be affected. Well that is not true, it now means we have to get through extra pages to get to one link as you have to pass through all the Warnings but worst of all you can only select one link at a time now so if I wanted to get the html for say a bunch of promotions that a merchant has just released I now have to go in and pass all the warnings for each link and ONE AT A TIME, no multi selection anymore unless you take the slow loading error filled JAVASCRIPT or you are using email.... this is very annoying and I never expected it until 2007 as they promised but they have thrown it in our face and said here you either use this javascript or we put you through hell & torture to get those legacy links.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    You are a CJ troll.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

LOL!
    At least he had the nerve to post it in the forum rather than use a blog to take pot shots at what sound like ABWer sites to support the LMI. None of these bloggers have any credibility as being profitable affiliate marketers though, so I wonder how they know what works.

Point is that my most profitable sites ALWAYS surprise me with how a seemingly bad change can cause an increase in conversion.

I guess that's why MFA's (Made For Adsense) pages are so prevelant. We don't click on the links but plenty of average web users click without hesitation.

If I can't tailor my advertising to fit my visitors by offering 18 products with links like an SAS store, then that becomes a deal breaker.

B

ABW Ambassador
    "what types of problems does using javascript links cause?"

Where have you been? Reading your other posts I would bet you're a CJ employee or extreme newbie who doesn't know what javascript is.

ABW Ambassador
    Main Reasons

The main problem is that there is a growing number of web surfers who have JS turned off. About 10% of the surfers coming through my site won't be able to go to the ads on the site. As more and more advertisers like VCLK push ads through JS, we will see the numbers of missed sales jump from 8-10% to upwards of 20%.

NOTE: One big, big, big problem with the VCLK's JScript Program is that they miss the data on the number of people who never see the add ... because Javascript is disabled. They don't see this, we affiliates do.

The second main problem has to do with the reason for the change. The primary reason for this change is so that VCLK can gather more information on consumer behavior. I find it unlikely that VCLK will use this information to help affiliates. They are more likely to use it to undermine affiliates in their attempts to feed consumers through PriceRunner.

ABW Ambassador
    MorethanAble - it's obvious you are a CJ troll. Instead of telling us to just go with it and try to convince us to implement a "solution" that doesn't work for the overwhelming majority of your affiliates, how about opening a moderated discussion thread?

From your questions it's obvious you don't realize what a major impact this has on your affiliates and don't realize that the implementation of your JS links and system isn't user friendly at all (to put it nicely.)

CJ may very well have a great reason for implementing JS and it may turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread but your affiliates don't see it and more importantly, you don't see the difficulty these links truly cause affiliates. To put it simply, they don't work on our sites for a variety of reasons.

I don't work for you, CJ or Valueclick. I work for me. I don't care how good of a reason YOU have for implementing JS, it isn't making ME money. The time you want me to spend getting thousands of JS links to replace my existing legacy links isn't worth it to me particularly when there seems to be a sleezy data mining reason behind the JS.

Instead of the time cost, hassle and uncertainty of dealing with your 'new and improved' linking system, I can spend that time on what I know will make me money - links from other networks and merchants not with CJ.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread