What Affiliates Want...
    Hey Everyone,

I came across a very interesting article outlining the results of a recent survey conducted by Partner Centric on what affiliates are looking for from merchants and affiliate programs:

What Affiliates Want

Some of the results are a little surprising (the popularity of banners?) but overall it seemed to reinforce the feedback that we've been getting from our affiliates.

What do you guys think?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I want to know who wrote that article there... that's someone who UNDERSTANDS affiliates (or is really good at faking it)... bolding below is mine, words are all theirs...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    How often should you communicate with affiliates?

Although many affiliates are fed up with bad data feeds (see above), they don't yearn to hear from you frequently *unless* you have something new to announce that affects them.

Think: You are one of many merchants competing for their attention. They are running a (probably) small business. They are insanely busy trying to make a buck on a smaller margin than you may allow your in-house marketing staff for new accounts. They don't want to be your friend. They don't want to buy into the glories of your brand.

Brand and relationship marketing, such as regular chirpy newsletters, are how you should be reaching out to consumers to increase loyalty. When it comes to affiliates, just get them the updated information they need to get their jobs done.

No happy talk, just the facts please.

Which may in itself explain part of the communication gap between merchants and affiliates. Merchants are used to *marketing* themselves to the world. Affiliates in the end don't want to be marketed to.

Instead, they want regularly updated tools to maintain and improve their results. That, plus a consistent cash flow will make them your best friend.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thumbs up
    Thank you for that link.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaS
    What do you guys think?
    It is an interesting article. The findings are not all that surprising (the need for quicker payments etc.) although I do question the supposed popularity of the banner advert among serious affiliates.

Not as detailed as MarketingSherpa's study, but I myself questioned several affiliates and here's what they told me they looked out for when deciding whether to join an affiliate program or not.

Affiliate Manager
    I thought it was interesting that so many affiliates rely on banners and then the #1 complaint is that conversions are low. No wonder! lol Sure, merchant landing pages play a key role, but contextual PREselling and less banner focus on the affiliate sidewould also boost their conversions.

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Thanks so much for this information JuliaS and Azam. This is great stuff. I'd love to hear from more affiliates to see if they agree.

Wow...verrrry interesting. Especially about improving the landing pages! If only I had the power to kick more asses 'round here

I'm not surprised by the popularity of banners at all...people are so visual!

I don't think it's that "wierd" that people want banners. The worst part though is that many people don't know how to use banners. So I wonder why they need a lot of different banners if they don't know how to use them.

I would almost never use banner advertising for my affiliate programs. I rather go for the "lead capture page" + follow up model.

You could place a banner that lead to a "lead capture page", but you need to place the banner in the right place.

A better topic would be, "What Shoppers Want..."

From my experience banners do not convert well... they are flashy and annoying for shoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by DataFeedFile.com
    A better topic would be, "What Shoppers Want..."

From my experience banners do not convert well... they are flashy and annoying for shoppers.
    I think for banners it is all how you use them. I'll never click on a banner that is slapped onto a page with hundreds of other flashy blinking animated gifs...

But, I'll occasionally click on banner ads at nytimes.com

It's all in the presentation...

--Jason

I am the Affiliate Manager for [edited] and I want to thank you for all your input. It's great for an affiliate manager to hear what affiliates want. In all the affiliate comments I heard, I was surprised I didn't hear that affiliates wanted merchants to join networks or about the ease of putting up links. We have 3rd party tracking, but our program is in-house. I was debating whether to join a network because I thought affiliates like consolidated payments and the links were more standard, Any feedback would be great.

Kerri
    Last edited by Akiva; September 28th, 2006 at 05:25 PM. Reason: If you want to plug your program, please pay for an ad.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread