B2B Affiliate Programs
    I am the affiliate manager for Batteries.com which retails to the public, but our sister company is exclusively B2B. Is there a market for B2B among the affiliates.

Here's a little background information. The company holds the exclusive rights for Energizer rechargeable Batteries for North America. So pretty basically, anywhere you see rechargeable Energizers, Best Buy, Walmart, Circuit City, ect. they came from this company. They are relaunching there website soon.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

There is. But it could be bigger
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Thanks for the reply. Is there anywhere I could some stats or more information about b2b affiliate marketing, or could anyone provide some? Feel free to pm.

I manage a strict B2B affiliate program and am finding it's just as good as retail. It also improves the flexibility of managing joint ventures -- especially tracking follow on sales through a reseller channel.

However, it's not a business by itself, only another part of your current sales channels. Expect B2B affiliates to only push 2 maybe 3% of new revenue, but like any reseller channel, you can improve these numbers with the right emphasis (i.e. you help them sell, verse selling it yourself, or balanced model.)

My products are training materials ranging from $97 to $2977, I have a handful of affiliates, and have my primary focus on selling our own products -- affiliates are just extra, but with the right partners I am open to changing that. I've worked with organizations whose outside sales force was managed with affiliate software.

It really depends on your objectives -- the traditional affiliate model is appropriate for B2B ...

Sincerely,

Justin
    [i]Always interested in great B2B affiliate programs that serve Sales and Marketing professionals. Private message if you have something.[/i]

All true Justin. The major difference is the scope of affiliates who are willing/interested in promoting B2B. There are numerous reasons that some of the bigger affiliates that post here shy away from it, which have been discussed on these boards before... i.e. length of sales cycle, unfamiliarity with B2B in general, and a PERCEIVED smaller customer base.

But it can and will work, and it's a giant near untapped affiliate market.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

re: Value of B2B Affiliate Market
    Kevin,
    Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    i.e. length of sales cycle, unfamiliarity with B2B in general, and a PERCEIVED smaller customer base.
    This is unfortunate, especially when recruiting affiliates. They miss the point that B2B transactions are often for high-ticket items. In the program I manage we give 35% with our top product $2977 -- with many ranging from $97 to $197.

I'm finding better results using the Affiliate model to Joint Venture with people in the industry serving the same buyers -- this way I don't get stuck with a bunch of affiliates just setting up "Made for Adsense" landing pages.

Some keywords in my field run from $3.00 to $9.00 a click -- not as good as the credit card industry, but it's still attracted landing pages with no value.

Maybe it's good that few understand B2B and many are staying away from it. Perhaps that opens more opportunity for those who understand the agent selling relationship, just using the affiliate software to make it easier for tracking.

On that note -- I'm looking at using the affiliate ID as a sales ID for individuals so they can get commission on any sale for the lifetime of a customer. If the model works, I won't need to add so many sales people.

Anyway, I'm happy strictly B2B, just not many programs to choose from and a less educated (or experienced) affiliate base to recruit into our programs.

Sincerely,

Justin

I think there is tremendous potential in B2B. It seems like adoption of online marketing in B2B is kinda slow and we've had some prospects over the years who turned down agency SEM services because the setup & management costs were more than the click costs or the projected amount of traffic for SEO was very small.

As that one commercial says, it's not what you pay, it's what you get and targeted B2B traffic can be worth a hell of a lot. Gotta look at the value of the traffic and potential sales, not the traffic volume or the media fees compared to agency service fees.

Sounds like I might be an affilaite of yours Justin - did you guys just change the network or technology provider that handles tracking for you 3-4 months ago? If it's the program I think it is, you already do pay some recurring commissions on some things?

I definitely agree that for B2B, we should be looking at creating a true sales force as opposed to the "cookie" model, regardless of what tracking technology is used.

800 number tracking, as well as a per lead fee (even if modest), coupled with customer life revenue rewards. I have a large flow chart built for just such a network
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

RE: I think you have it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    800 number tracking, as well as a per lead fee (even if modest), coupled with customer life revenue rewards. I have a large flow chart built for just such a network
    Folks on this thread may be interested (as contributors) to a report I'm putting together for a client about promoting B2B web assets to drive off-line sales. I'm going through the step-by-step right now on one of my lead generation sites.

I'd be very interested in co-authors to finish off the manual -- of course, you'll get resale rights for your efforts, and we'll back-of-book your services. I've always found these things great to drive services and you both seem to have a great B2B background.

If you're interested, call my office at (757) 282-7779 -- leave your name, email, and phone number. When I get back this afternoon I'll send details.

Sincerely,

Justin

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstar
    agency SEM services because the setup & management costs were more than the click costs or the projected amount of traffic for SEO was very small.
    On top of that, it's important what you capture because B2B visitors can be loyal. I've got a 20% returning visitor on one site with just articles, higher on my core content sites -- even some where individuals can't read anything unless they are a member. (Working on converting those folks too...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstar
    Sounds like I might be an affiliate of yours Justin - did you guys just change the network or technology provider that handles tracking for you 3-4 months ago? If it's the program I think it is, you already do pay some recurring commissions on some things?
    I haven't been on an affiliate network since the 1990's -- the current program I'm running is hosted through our own software. This gives us better flexibility for talking to our back-end.

Yes, we have recurring commissions on memberships. You'll find our catalog sites at http://catalog.hittpublishingdirect.com/ and http://catalog.iunctura.com/ for the types of products offered.

It would be useful if B2B companies, already with Internet assets, had a better understanding of the potential and how to tap that market. Many are still working in the 1980's when it comes to marketing on-line (off-line too.)

Just yesterday I was looking to buy some software. Found the vendor, found the product profile, couldn't find the price or download or contact page. I gave up after three visits and moved to evaluate someone elses software.

Anyway, great discussion.

Sincerely,

Justin

Ps. I'm always interested in B2B programs serving sales and marketing management (and professionals), I have a network of 15 sites, leads being generated everyday, and only a handful of solutions to offer them. PM me if you have ideas about solid programs I can join.

Can't PM you
    Hi hittjw,

This Post is quite old but I hope it is still valid. I found this and signed up because you were interested in good B2B software affiliate programs. Unfortunately ABW doesn't let new users PM. We are creating a new DAM Affiliate Program and would be very interested in your leads.
    Please PM me!

Regards,

Ronald

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread