Merchants sending Legacy and not Javascript :)
    Here's something interesting....today as I get my coupons and deals from CJ merchants, I am noticing a trend. They are all sending old legacy links and not the javascript....

I called CJ in re: to the firefox problem and asked them about this - they, of course, didn't have an answer.

I then asked them if they were making it MANDATORY for their merchants to go with the LMI. They said, everyone is going to do it - all but one refused - Ebay.

I asked then if that were indeed the case, then why oh why are they sending OLD style links?

No reply.

hahahahahaha

Wonder if there's trouble in paradise.

That is damned funny. Seems CJ doesn't have a lot of answers these days.

Reminds me of a good long time friend that's a CJ merchant not knowing anything about LMI the day after it was announced.

ABW Ambassador
    Sending Legacy Links
    He, he, he.

Since you don't know the placeholder number until after you generate a link, I guess there would be no way for a merchant to send an LMI link ... other than auto generating placeholders for all of the merchants in their mailing list.

he, he, he.

So, how much thinking did VCLK put into this smelly turd before plopping it on the doorstep of the affiliate community?

Quote Originally Posted by yintercept
    So, how much thinking did VCLK put into this smelly turd before plopping it on the doorstep of the affiliate community?
    Do you really want me to answer that?

Seriously though, I don't have much room to say much about the LMI crapola. I use data feeds on 99% (+/- 1% LOL) of all my sites, so they can LMI, dance the jig or even launch their own space program for all I care.

Now, if they start jacking around with the feeds too much I won't be a happy (nor quiet) camper.

What a long time merchant at CJ told me is that CJ only tested this in house with their staff and did not test it with affiliates or merchants. I've yet to hear CJ say otherwise so it is my belief it is true.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Head____
    Seriously though, I don't have much room to say much about the LMI crapola. I use data feeds on 99% (+/- 1% LOL) of all my sites, so they can LMI, dance the jig or even launch their own space program for all I care.

Now, if they start jacking around with the feeds too much I won't be a happy (nor quiet) camper.
    Phase 2 is supposed to launch this month, and it's supposed to involve datafeeds. We'll see.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

This whole affair has me irked...Ive heard amongst other things like: "the others are doing it"....like tradedoubler (who is so innovative that officially you cant get paid unless you have a UK bank account..) so innovative....and pure damn retarded....

Does the preson and or persons who are behind this shame have any clue as how in the hell these things work?

What can I say? It's a waste SO COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE...In advance I wonder if they actually think their rev. will increase as a result of this...Id like to hear the opinion.

correction

preson = person

Quote Originally Posted by dsteitz
    This whole affair has me irked...Ive heard amongst other things like: "the others are doing it"....like tradedoubler (who is so innovative that officially you cant get paid unless you have a UK bank account..) so innovative....and pure damn retarded....
    That is untrue about TradeDoubler. You can get paid without a UK bank account. After you've joined you just need to contact them and be set up for international payment. They set me up with no problems.

TradeDoubler offers both html (including customized deep linking) AND javascript links. So, if CJ is trying to be like TradeDoubler, they are falling far short.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyFrog75
    That is untrue about TradeDoubler. You can get paid without a UK bank account. After you've joined you just need to contact them and be set up for international payment. They set me up with no problems.

TradeDoubler offers both html (including customized deep linking) AND javascript links. So, if CJ is trying to be like TradeDoubler, they are falling far short.

and that is NOT TRUE. I did contact them and was set up several years ago...and guess what? When it came time to get paid I was told I would need a UK bank account in spite of being told otherwise from the beginning..

Well I did send a nastygram about it, and they did eventually pay me some other way, but as a rule...generally, you have to have a UK bank account with them. Just look at what they offer for payment info...UK bank account or nothing....that has not changed...so that leaves me thinking it's still the same old set up...that's to say someone might tell you they will make an exception, but will that be the case when the time comes to get paid?

and they owed me thousands of pounds when they had the nerve to come back and say "you must have a UK bank account"....Just try and get a UK bank account as a USA citizen who lives in the USA...albeit you could fly to the Channel Islands and open an account with a bank that is in the UK banking system...but you wants to go thru all that trouble.

If its not in black and white you cant count on it.

They set me up and had a place to put my SWIFT number and American Bank account number. It says: "For international affiliate payments, a SWIFT code is required. The SWIFT code is an international & standardized bank code stating which bank a money transfer should be made to - it is always between 8 digits and 11 digits long. E.g. ESSEGB2L. "

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyFrog75
    They set me up and had a place to put my SWIFT number and American Bank account number. It says: "For international affiliate payments, a SWIFT code is required. The SWIFT code is an international & standardized bank code stating which bank a money transfer should be made to - it is always between 8 digits and 11 digits long. E.g. ESSEGB2L. "

Yes this is true but NOT ALL USA BANKS HAVE A SWIFT #....and their are no blocks to include a routing number, ect....because their policy in black and white clearly states "You must have a UK bank account"...sure they make make exceptions, but they are free to change the exception at any time..like they did with me. Its just beyond lame as far as Im concerned to have it set up in such a way, when it is known that they "will make exceptions for performing USA affiliates"...but the bottom line is it can be a clusterpuck getting paid from them...there is no clear policy other than "You must have a UK bank account".

I had to whine and moan to get paid from them in spite of the promise of it being no difficult difference. Im glad for you that was not the case...but it was not mine.

Sides I ran a promotion thru them on an experiment that I was also running thru an idintical channel. I got 1/4 thru them what I got for the same product, same presentation, same demographics, thru someone else (except it was the blessed java)...not that that 1 case can speak for the worth of their whole network...but it did not look good....

Cj should in any case know a little bit about the true nature of some of these other networks before they go making comparisons for justifications....

Unless the justification is how to screw up your network and make less money.

Not all US banks have SWIFT numbers? Are you sure about that?

I haven't been paid by them yet (I just joined last month and payment takes two months), but I wouldn't post any links on my site UNTIL they set me up for international payment. If they don't pay me, I will be extremely POed.

Their Questions about payment page says this in black and white:

I do not live in the UK and I do not have a UK Bank Account, what fields need completing?

TradeDoubler UK can only work with websites that generate significant UK traffic. Please provide evidence of this via your server logs. We need this proof to activate your account; otherwise we will not be able to activate you for International Payment. Please send us this information via the support contact form and request 'international payment'. We will then activate your account. Once your account has been activated you need to enter the following details:
    Bank Name. Please enter your full banks name i.e. Citibank.
    Account Number. Please confirm your account number with your bank.
    SWIFT Code. This is always between 8 digits and 11 digits long. E.g. ESSEGB2L

I've provided them with the info they asked for, so I don't see why they shouldn't/wouldn't pay me. Only time will tell.

Thanks for pointing out that page to me...and YES. Many US Banks do not have a SWIFT #. This really does not matter because the UK bank usually has a bank that they use indirectly for transfers to the USA...but thats just more to complicate the process. What they should ask for is the Routing number for the USA...and that is always asked for...except from them...so go figure that one out. I use Netbank and they DO NOT have a swift number, they used to have some relationship with another bank for this, but it was dropped...but a handful of other UK institutions manage to pay me via wire....

and like for real...send them copies of server logs? Yeah right....what a joke! Why would anyone lie about that anyway? No produce-no get paid....like it would be sensible to send them logs for maybe 100s of sites to "prove" what? Just because you get bunkloads of UK hits does not in itself mean anything...because you operate out of the USA? Don't some people know this is the internet and it does not matter where in the hell you actually are physically located?..and that is not black and white anything but more confusion....

All I know is that nomatter what I was told when I was initially invited to join was that payment would not be an issue....but it has been....

As a result I dont move anything except for stray leftovers thru them at present...I would like to, but I cant ever get a clear resolve on the sacred UK bank account issue.

I got some Italian inlaws. Maybe I could use them as Italy is in the EU...but its all a bunch of BS. I should just be able to get a check. Ill take one in Pounds, Euros...whatever and even wait for it to clear.

Yeah, I thought asking for proof of UK traffic was a bit silly. I told them I knew I had traffic from the UK, but wasn't sure how much because my server logs are a bit confusing to me but I would send them to them if that was what they needed. They didn't end up asking for any proof at all and set me right up for international payment. I'm guessing they did this because it is pretty obvious by my site's topic (travel in Europe) that people from the UK are likely to go to my site.

All my overseas merchants have no trouble wiring money to my bank AND they all require a SWIFT number. I guess I'm lucky my bank has one. I'd prefer to get checks though because my banks charges me $15 for a wire. Luckily, one of my big merchants (located in Ireland) send me check in US dollars. I believe they have a lot of US based affiliates.

I think restrictions on payments based on where you live is rediculous, since the internet is an international marketplace. Oh, well, maybe one day affiliate networks will get their act together.

I agree 100%. I think some of these firms should look to the services of something akin to http://www.ruesch.com/ . Several delas I do business with use these guys for converting payments. Ruesch has correspondent bank accounts around the world in lots of currencies...as a consequence I get payments from them usually before I get their notification..ie less than 24hrs.

Ive had some that have asked for a SWIFT #, but I ve never got no flack for not having one....the UK bank end is able to sort it out without issues.

In fairness since posting with you about this I have been in contact with them about my payment situation. I have been told I have been placed under international payment, but they requested a SWIFT or IBAN #. I asked the bank to help in regards to an IBAN #...but again if this does not work I can use a new UK contact I have (the last one took the money and ran...)...or open an account at the Bank of America or Chase (the have a SWIFT)...sometimes you just have to work your way around things..but you are right. needless walls suck.

...and now Im stoked. Netbank now has a SWIFT #...so my worries are over.

Cool! That's great news for you. I'm still at Bank of America--they're okay, apart from the $15 fee they charge for international money wires.

still only legacy links coming in from merchants :)
    Hi all,
    Well, here we are July 5th and all I've received from merchants are legacy links!

What do you think is up with THAT?

I hope it blows up in their face at CJ.

it gets better yet.....
    I decide to play with CJ a bit - so I call.
    I say, "Hey, whassup - still getting legacy from every merchant on the block with CJ."

CJ replies, "Well, that's too bad because they're going to have to start sending out new links."

I say, "Hmm...really. I always thought that the guy spending the cash makes the rules! If a merchant doesn't wanna use those crappy javascript and they are PAYING YOU the money, don't you have to kind go along with THEIR wishes???"

No reply

Then CJ rep says, "Actually we've been getting inundated with calls from merchants who absoutely LOVE the new links and are thrilled with them!"

I respond, "Funny, but I don't know of ANY! And every merchant I have is sending me old legacy links. Are you sure we're talking about the CJ network and not share-a-sale?" LOL!!!!

At that point she wanted to get off the phone fast.

What do they do over there - it's like the Stepford Wives in spades!
    All these canned replies that are vague and bland.

This is just hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by showmethemoney
    What do they do over there - it's like the Stepford Wives in spades!
    All these canned replies that are vague and bland.
    Ya...did you mean vague and blonde ?

Me: Can you point me to your policy on subaffiliates? I want to know your policy in this regard related to datafeeds.

CJ Support: Can you please explain what you mean by "subaffiliate?" If you could detail your question more, that would be very helpful.

Me: Nevermind.

Now that is just hysterical.

Note: I paraphrased the above conversation for space.

Quote Originally Posted by showmethemoney

Then CJ rep says, "Actually we've been getting inundated with calls from merchants who absoutely LOVE the new links and are thrilled with them!"
    Yes, I have communicated with nearly two dozen mechants and not a one of them has been thrilled about the JS links.

Hey folks, next time a CJ rep tells you they are getting inundated with calls from merchants that LOVE the new links, ask them for company names. For one, I want to know what it is these companies like and second, I simply want to validate what CJ is telling us.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread