Has any one heard the July 3rd and asteroid XP14
    A buddy of mine went out and bought a Celestron Nexstar Telescope pretty cool looking, I thought is was strange because he's more like me a tech geek not a science guy. He said that someone told him about the NASA's "Near Earth Object Program" and that an asteroid named XP14 will be really-really close to Earth on July 3rd. So I did some research because I didn't hear anything on the news about it and I'm not really excited about what I found.
    I went to the Space weather website http://spaceweather3.com/ and found this link http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/db?name=2004+XP14

It show a simulated video of the planets and that asteriod. After playing with the functions a bit I saw something I didn't like at all. The asteroid doesn't seem to me to come really close to the earth, it seems to hit the earth full on.

HERE is the settings I used:

There is two sliding bars on the simulated image; one at the bottom and the other at the side.
    I scrolled the bottom one all the way over to the first letter of the date that is shown and scrolled the side bar all the way to the top

on the video settings I clicked on the rewind button (double arrows) back to march 2006 doesn't matter the date.

Then I played it. and you will see what I saw. when July 2nd or 3rd 2006 comes around.

Has anyone heard anything about this? I'm not saying the SKY IS FALLING but I'm curious if anyone heard about this?

I'm not positive, but I think I heard something on the news about this. The asteroid is supposed to come as close as 200,000 miles from earth (same distance of the moon).

Thanks for the link though, going to toy around with it a while.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Funny, I found an article from USA TODAY. http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...tm?POE=TECISVA

It shows a still image from the same simulator but it's from June 17, 2006 but no closer dated image, it talks about the July 3rd 2006.

It's hard to get the right angle and zoom in to get the full perspective. It's nearest approach will be further away than the moon (at about 12:25am EST on the 3rd). Even at that, you'll need a moderate size telescope to even see it.

You'll need to wait until 2029 if you want one that comes close enough to see with the naked eye. 99942 Apophis will come with 20,000 miles (over 10 times closer) then, and will be visible from Asia and North Africa.

I'm not 100% sure on the scale, but I think it's like a grain of sand coming within 20 feet of a softball. I could be off by several orders of magnitude, but essentially it's nothing to worry about.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

No I didn't hear of it. I have heard of the 4th of July and Hemorrhoids circling around Uranus. You don't need a telescope to find them, just a proctoscope.

I also heard of X14 bathroom mildew control. I hired Chuck Yeager to clean my bathrooms at the speed of sound.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I'm not 100% sure on the scale, but I think it's like a grain of sand coming within 20 feet of a softball. I could be off by several orders of magnitude, but essentially it's nothing to worry about.
    Like the analogy, Michael. I'll see if my friend can rig a video or image capture on that Telescope is bought. We got a couple of days to figure it out, (probably not possible).

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopie Nubert
    No I didn't hear of it. I have heard of the 4th of July and Hemorrhoids circling around Uranus. You don't need a telescope to find them, just a proctoscope.

I also heard of X14 bathroom mildew control. I hired Chuck Yeager to clean my bathrooms at the speed of sound.
    LOL LOL LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Internet Cowboy
    Nice to see you back on the board David. I hope all is well.
    Will you be at Affiliate Summit?

Too funny!!
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Internet Cowboy

Why do they call them hemmorhoids? Shouldn't they be called ASTERIODS?? That would make your proctologist an astronaut!

My friends at the observatory in Cambridge tell me that they're pretty sure that the impact will be in the vicinity of Santa Barbara.

Tracking will not be affected.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

David,

there are a couple of ways that you can get the image, but the best will be a ccd device, that goes right where the eye piece goes. Meade has one for about $300 it's the Meade Deep Sky Imager with the pro version running closer to 500.

Other options are using a 35mm with a t adapter (30-70) or a piggyback system for around 70. I've tried to simply point and shoot at the lens, but there is just to much shake to get anything worth sharing.

The CCD will composite multiple shots and give a good view of nebula due to this capability, but if your a 35mm fan the t adapter is the cheapest way to go. The main thing is having a solid tripod or base, some of the nexstar series can shake a bit which makes the ccd that much more attractive ;-)

I just found Starry Night Pro (ccd imaging) is closer to $200 and is worth looking at too

I look forward to seeing any images you can get ;-)

Damn! First CJ forcing Javascript links down our throats and now this asteroids maybe hitting the earth. How much worse can this week get?????
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

http and a telephoto

ROFLMAO.....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Damn! First CJ forcing Javascript links down our throats and now this asteroids maybe hitting the earth. How much worse can this week get?????
    I turn an unspeakable age ... it's getting MUCH worse! LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I'm pretty sure the NEO folks have us all breathing easily until 2800. They have calculated that there is one with our name on it for that century. Big one too.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I turn an unspeakable age ... it's getting MUCH worse! LOL
    30? 33?
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

"Like the analogy, Michael. I'll see if my friend can rig a video or image capture on that Telescope is bought. We got a couple of days to figure it out, (probably not possible)."

I agree. It likely is not possible. I have a dobsonian 10" and this target is likely to be no more than a faint speck...Even if you captured the image it would be still a tiny speck at full power. I have not read what the visible magnitude will be...but my guess it it will be faint.

Still, at some point in the near or distant future an "Earth Smasher" will be dead set on slamming into us. I just hope we have the means and ability to deflect it when the time comes.

Still, at some point in the near or distant future an "Earth Smasher" will be dead set on slamming into us. I just hope we have the means and ability to deflect it when the time comes.
    Yup, as I mentioned they even know who/when it is... (Not to say they can't be missing one that will come sooner).

The current technology debate is destruction vs. deflection. The biggest camp wants to use nukes to "destroy" it off course (when I say destroy, I don't mean obliterate. We don't have nikes big enough to demolish these asteroids).

The deflection camp wants to use tactical nukes, exploded close to the roid, to veer it ever so slightly away from us.

Another camp is looking at using space probes with giant mirrors to "burn" the asteroid off course. Originally laughed off, this hypothesis is gaining some momentum...

We also were able to land one of our probes on a big asteroid several years ago when it outlived it's useful life. That means, in theory, we could land "engines" on the perpetrator, and physically drive it off course.

Fortunately, we haven't had to try yet
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Talking
    Won't be long before you'll be doing this.

And selling pieces of it on Ebay.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    30? 33?
    Ahhhhh - both great ages. Anyone who's 30 or 33 ... enjoy it!

Nope, the age I'm turning is UNSPEAKABLE! LOL - Who'd have thought we'd live this long? Kripes ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Heard about it for the first time other than here on the radio this morning.
    Poopie - rofl

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread