More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Question Table Problems
    I wish to create my links to my detail pages on the right side of a table and use the left side of the table for an additional navigation menu of my own. Then below the table I have the remainder of my page content.

Here is the problem I am having: After running WebMerge, the remainder of my page content is jammed in below the detail page links on the right side of the table rather than below the table. In fact, if I do the record function within any table (I tried 1 column), the remainder of the page content is placed within that table even though it is not inside the table on the subcategory template. I am creating an index page, subcategory pages, and detail pages using 2 WebMerge files.

What can I do to prevent this? Thank you for any help you can provide.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I would suggest using webmerge to create the index links into a temporary html doc ... just put the webmerge template into it and nothing else. Then you can copy it easily into where ever you like. It's not as nice a solution as creating it into the actual page but will give you more control over what is going on.

Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Staril
    I would suggest using webmerge to create the index links into a temporary html doc ... just put the webmerge template into it and nothing else. Then you can copy it easily into where ever you like. It's not as nice a solution as creating it into the actual page but will give you more control over what is going on.

Sue.
    I am doing that with the index page but was hoping not to have to do that with the category pages - it starts to defeat the whole purpose of using webmerge.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I'm trying to figure out a similar problem. For my "second-tier" category pages, I want to show thumbnails 3 across that link to the detail pages. I'm doing something wrong as I try to place the WM tags into my existing page structure. It is recognizing my request for 3 across, but it's taking the rest of my page, footer included and doing that 3 across.

I do see how I could cut and paste, but the purpose of buying WebMerge was to limit that to hardly any.

I found the answer in searching through previous postings at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=70725

You need to add the extra tags. Somehow WebMerge eliminates one set of tags </tr>
    </table>

This worked for me. Perhaps in the latest version of WebMerge, this has been addressed. Mine is 2.3

I appreciate the help - thank you!

Today's my day to just struggle from headache to headache trying to learn how to use this. I know it will be worth it when I get there - but it's so early in the day to start drinking.....

I've decided to go back as far as I can in this forum and just read until my eyes fall out.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I found the answer in searching through previous postings at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=70725

You need to add the extra tags. Somehow WebMerge eliminates one set of tags </tr>
    </table>

This worked for me. Perhaps in the latest version of WebMerge, this has been addressed. Mine is 2.3

Version 2.4.1 is the latest version, and has addressed this table issue a long time ago. The update is free for all registered users -- just download the new version from our site and register it using your current registration code.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I downloaded and installed the new version. Should I be able to run my old setting files without any modification?

I don't think mine needs to be updated since I bought it Wed or Thursday. I think my issue was more of a "just can't be done" the way I was wanting to do it.

I'm headed off to search right now, but in the meantime - what does adding "raw" to a tag do? Will it solve my problem where I put a WM tag in and then it adds all the linking stuff in addition to mine and I didn't have that box checked and my data field doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    I'm headed off to search right now, but in the meantime - what does adding "raw" to a tag do? Will it solve my problem where I put a WM tag in and then it adds all the linking stuff in addition to mine and I didn't have that box checked and my data field doesn't have it.

From HELP, accessible from your WebMerge Program:
    Using the raw attribute
    By default, WebMerge converts field data to HTML. The conversion changes all non-ASCII characters to their corresponding character entity according to the ISO 8859-1 standard. For example, the character "<" becomes "&lt;". This attribute is useful if your database contains some fields whose data is already in HTML format, to prevent WebMerge from altering it for Web display. If your field already contains HTML, you can tell WebMerge not to perform this conversion by using the raw attribute.

The new version took care of it

Note that in the new version you can not have any blank space after your last data entry whereas in the old version it would run. I had to delete the blanks in my text file and all ran well. I also got rid of the extra tags no longer needed.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread