View Poll Results: Do you think CJ will eventually back off its policy of JS only links?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

11 47.83%
  • No.

12 52.17%
    ABW Ambassador
    Will CJ continue with only JS links?
    CJ is obviously losing a lot of the affiliates from ABW and other places due to their continued insistence on JS links and it seems like CJ is losing merchants as well.

Do you think that CJ is losing more money than they figured on with this forced changeover and will announce that legacy links will still be allowed or do you think this is just the backlash of 'mom and pop, small affiliates' that CJ predicted and they will continue full speed ahead with JS only links?

The flip side of that is: does the LMI offer a revenue venue for CJ that was not available to CJ prior to LMI?
    If CJ's goal is to become a data miner, then they will not give up on LMI.

What benefits could LMI possibly offer a merchant or CJ as a whole?

That's not a popular way (for the affiliate) of looking at the issue, but sometimes in order to argue one's own position, it is good to analyze the position of the opposite side.

CJ's stance towards affiliates/publishers might be "With or without you..."
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Yes. I wonder if the backlash has been a lot more and fiercer than CJ expected and they will be forced to change to allow non-JS links or if to them losing all of us and more is just what was expected and they are okay with it.

I really have no idea on this one. I don't think they expected the backlash to be as severe as it has been, but I'm not convinced they will back down. In the past when CJ has made a change a lot of people have complained and only a few left. There wasn't the mass refusal to put up links that seems to be taking place now along with a mass exodus threatening when the JS link changeover becomes mandatory.

I wonder if CJ expected this change to be like the others and they didn't expect to lose this many people OR if they did expect this and don't care because the affiliates they do care about are okay with the new requirement.

They must have something spectacular up their sleeve for phase 2, 3, etc.

Because to me it looks like phase 1 just means CJ links will be on fewer pages.

Oh come on! Is this poll a joke? You are talking about CJ. Of course, they are going ahead with their plan for only JS links. They won't back down even if it means crash and burn which it very well may, this time.

If they give in to publishers on this, oh the horror. That would mean the insignificant affiliates really do matter and really do have power. They will never let that happen. They would rather go out of business.

You are talking about CJ, not some intelligent entity, you know.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I voted "yes" thinking I was voting that they would stay with their JS only policy so the poll is slightly skewed.

I don't think they'll back down. If this decision was made for a reason that benefits them and their minions, it'll stay and CJ will just deal with changing plans. I doubt the parasites they're in bed with will care ... it most likely benefits them somehow and this is a good way to get us out of their nasty pool if we don't want to swim in pissy water.

It's a drag for us, but so is the freaking congress passing the bill to allow corps to take control over their subscriber's Internet experience. The corps obviously pull a lot more weight (payola) and I'm sure CJ isn't as stupid as we'd like to think they are. This was thought out and the majority of their affiliates weren't taken into consideration. They have a plan ... remains to be seen what they do with it.

Right now, the way I see it is we either embrace their new JS links or we walk. They don't give a - might be bad for them down the line or it might work out just as they planned it, which is a big possibility. Scary and seems twisted but we have been told "you don't have priority" and maybe we'd best believe them? Kinda like when a guy tells a woman he's not interested in ever getting married ... best listen because he's telling you a VITAL fact about himself and it's your choice to deal with it or not. Good thing there are plenty of fish in the sea, huh? To quote Monty Python: (everybody sing along) "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life ..."
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Right now, the way I see it is we either embrace their new JS links or we walk. They don't give a
    I coudn't agree more here. Their attitude towards the affiliate community and our responses pretty much means that they plan to stay their course unfortunately (although I still hold out some sliver of hope).

I really, really wish they wouldn't, as CJ has some great merchants on board, but I'm done sweating over it. Things change, and I'm happy that there are other great, if not better, networks out there.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Thumbs up
    If the great merchants open programs at other networks, everybody wins. I can continue promoting them and making sales. And CJ can realize their goal of being an all javascript network.
    Only bad thing, still having to change out all those links.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Right now, the way I see it is we either embrace their new JS links or we walk.
    I got my walkin' shoes on!

CJ has decided to do something, and they will do it.

The only two questions that remain are 1) How many of their merchant clients will go elsewhere? and 2) what will happen to "Legacy Links" when they are no longer supported?

The answer to question number two will probably determine what the answer to question number one will be.

There are three things that can happen once the "Legacy Links" are "no longer supported":

1) Clicks go nowhere; "Page Not Found".

2) Clicks are redirected to the merchant site, but are not tracked.

3) CJ continues to track and bill clients for sales generated through the links, and pockets the entire commission plus network percentage for themselves.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

This is a tough one. If there would have been a "Maybe" choice, I would have chosen it.

I think they eventually will reverse course, but only after a considerable amount of pain on the part of affiliates, merchants, and CJ. Much of the damage will already be done and some of it will be irreversible.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I don't think they will reverse their direction.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    LOL, they'll wait for all (what they perceive as) "rats" to jump ship and then cut off the legacy links.

OTOH, I really don't want to give up hope that they'll realize the time will come to shoot the lame horse.

A lot of merchants will have their own affiliate program too. I've had a lot of my cj affs email me about their concerns with cj and that they are leaving.

I think I voted incorrectly. I think they WILL back off of the original idea once they see the impact it has. Money talks and if they start losing it, they will rethink what is in the best interest of everyone involved.

I always thought of CJ as being one of the most affiliate friendly networks. No more. They are ramming this down our throats and ignoring us at every point. I got so fed up today I told support they could simply close the threads they have not answered over the last two weeks. Yeah, and guess what? They could not respond to support ticket for over two weeks but they had no problem deleteing all three of my support tickets in less than a few hours.

All the way through this we have kept asking ourselves what is going at CJ? What is it that ValueClick has intended when they purchased CJ? Why have the orginal management of CJ all left? What is the true purpose of LMI and the JS links? There are just simply too many questions that CJ is conveniently ignoring and that really bothers me.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    ... but I'm done sweating over it.
    That is pretty much my attitude too.

Bye Bye CJ - it was a nice ride but it's time to move on.
    Ebudae

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread