Best way to get started with datafeeds and building sites
    Hi

I am interested in building affiliate sites using datafeeds but am no php guru. I do know about webmerge but am a bit strapped for cash.What do you guys reccomend i read to get started....Is there any good way to get started using datafeeds....what d reccomend doing and reading to get started?

I am not a newbie I have hosting html and some php knowledge....just need to know ehre to start and what to read to get started

Matt

Matt, welcome to ABW!

Look into WebMerge and GoldenCAN.

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    mfreund, I'd suggest not waiting 'til you have it down with datafeeds to start building and promoting some affiliate sites. First off, knowing HTML is enough to get a site going, and it takes time to find out who the good merchants are and what the better niches are. And definitely not to be discounted is that it takes time to get ranked with Google, so the sooner a site goes live the closer it gets to getting Google traffic, which can take 9-12 months.

My humble opinion: put up a site or two hand rolled to get started while you investigate datafeed technology and methodologies, and get some income rolling in.

What WW said.

BTW, ShareaSale's Make-A-Page tool makes the "hand-rolling" even easier... Do look into it if you haven't done so already.

Geno

thanks...for the info

ABW Ambassador
    thanks...for the info
    We're only to happy to help around here, any way we can. We can't know if you've ever done any affiliate marketing before because you didn't say, but you've landed at the right place for whatever it is that you want to know.

Incidentally, I haven't been involved with affiliate marketing for very long, but I still hand roll pages and have made nice income during that time - not fantastic, but nice. It's brought in more than enough to buy WebMerge and then some, so I speak from experience when I say not to wait for technology to get started. It's good business sense to start small and buy tools out of earnings - in a way it's like investing accrued capital toward growth.

Yes, I would agree with Webworker. What I would do first is create your base to get things going...this is concentrating on the basic html (Meta tags, tags, keyword density, incoming "editor" quality links, ect). As time progresses you can add more bits and bobs as your skills and knowledge improves.

I would not wait around until you are "happy" with your work....depending on how pickey you are this can be a long time. Im still learning things here and there and I've been at this since late in the last century.

Being strapped for cash and starting out is not an unusal situation...thats why I started myself.

Domains and hosting are cheap if you shop around. I'd suggest selecting a general area of goods/services and religiously focus every day on doing something to add to it. IT will take awhile likely before anything goes down (with no $ for PPC)..but odds are if you did things right you might find yourself with the rumblings in the distance of a snowball thundering down a hill...as manifested by the money starting to come in...Just remember to keep busy before it melts!

Quote Originally Posted by mfreund
    Hi
    I am interested in building affiliate sites using datafeeds but am no php guru. I do know about webmerge but am a bit strapped for cash.What do you guys reccomend i read to get started....Is there any good way to get started using datafeeds....what d reccomend doing and reading to get started?
    Matt
    Matt, this thread might be of interest to you:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=74648
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Best way would be to make a personal commitment and learn php, starting with Dirk Gardner's post here at ABW and buying a good book (the one from sitepoint is my recommendation). Dirk's thread is:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=60200

Next best way is WebMerge in my opinion. But you said you don't have the money for it.

If you don't know php, can't afford WM, then go with GoldenCAN. It's free to use for many large merchants, VERY simple to setup and use, and it has most of the advantages that full fledged php database users enjoy (without php/database route's learning, required skills, code writing and database manipulating).

Don't forget, you can purchase the Shareasale version of WebMerge for about half-price: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=74769
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Matt,

You may want to consider using the Dynamic Product Showcase Creator. It's easy to use and no-maintenance. We have over 60 merchants. The directory is at http://psc.afftools.com/directory.html

If you have any questions, you can send me at email at support -AT- affsolutions.com
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread