Wikipedia the demise of content sites?
    I'm talking about purely content sites. You know, the ones that someone has lovingly created, with lots of kick a** content, but only interesting, original content.
    With Wikipedia so popular via viral marketing and also dominating the search engines, I don't see these type of content sites lasting as a way to earn an income.
    I can type in "Vietnam Conflict" and get a virtual book with hundreds of links that is edited by hundreds, if not thousands, of people. How is one lone website ran by a single individual supposed to compete with that?
    Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I create lots of written content but I don't consider Wikipedia to be a rival.

Wikipedia is a collaborative online "encyclopedia" and even though topics can be edited in either a "collaborative manner" or even by anyone at all (have they changed that option?) it still has a "cold facts feel" to some degree because of its "quasi encyclopedia form" (although it lacks the stringent checks of some well known traditional encyclopedias).

The key to individual success is to
    lovingly create
    with a personalized, individual spin.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Also Not all content is "fact" my content site is "opinion" and wikipedia cannot do anything like that or it wouldn't be respected as the encyclopedic source it is.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Who is to say Wikipedias are fact. Lets think about how many times a wiki has influnced me to make a purchasing decision that would be 0

Funny thread for your first post
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Wikipedia is really just a part of my plan to whack c*ntent sites. Once all the other c*ntent sites die, I'll replace that "wiki" thing with a mega SHOPPING portal!! And there will be NO c*ntent sites left at all!!! Muaa haa haa!

What? The mic was ON!??!

I mean, uh, er, wiki is just another c*ntent site, aimed at the niche of those who want to get a usually-good overview of a subject instead of having to check a bunch of other sites/encyclopedias.

Who is to say Wikipedias are fact.
    (Responding seriously now) Most of their articles are good enough for most applications. Contrary to what some political debaters think, it's generally overkill to hunt down every little fact with the fervency of one who's going after a Doctorate Degree (unless the person is an actual politician, in which case I wish they would do more research before opening their yaps!). But for the purposes of "just talking," a wiki article is quite good enough IMO.

On subjects I already have a good knowledge of (and therefore can tell if/where the inaccuracies are), I'd say the articles I've read on wikipedia.org are 99% accurate most of the time, but with more research needed to get an in-depth knowledge of the subject if you don't have one already.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Wikipedia is really just a part of my plan to whack c*ntent sites. Once all the other c*ntent sites die, I'll replace that "wiki" thing with a mega SHOPPING portal!! And there will be NO c*ntent sites left at all!!! Muaa haa haa!

What? The mic was ON!??!
    You're killing me Leader! LMAO!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    They do great in the search engines but they only come up once for searches, it's not like they take the 1-10 spots.

Leader let me know when you want to take over my gibberish sites I am tired of updating them.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Wikipedia is a great general knowledge site. They have enough information about most everything to be helpful in a general way. They just can't compete with niche sites that focus on a particular topic. In a way they're raising the bar on what's considered an acceptable amount of content for a topic. If you want to offer content related to a topic on Wikipedia you've got to outdo them and provide even more and better information. I'm all for a site raising the bar.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

To me, wikipedia is the best of use of the internet, to date. And I've read a research that said it's as accurate as brittanica, if not more, and I've always found the articles I read highly relevant.

Could they be a threat to content-based commercial sites? Hardly. As trustno1 mentioned, the're one option out many in the serps. Fact based content sites like bio sites, country info sites, science info sites may lose some of their SE visitors, but that's about it.

I think we, all internet users and especially us webmasters, should support wikipedia wholeheartedly, as a source of free and unbiased information. Say you want to learn about search engine optimization. Go to wiki and a large amount of relevant information is there, without any agenda pushed by the contributors:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEO

If we don't support it, this would be stuff we get as affiliate marketing, for example:
    http://www.affilipedia.com

Point of Information: Affilipedia
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Jonathan

That's actually me posting

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.

I got a 404 Not Found -- but the whole thing smacks of Reeturrrrn on Affiliate
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Well that was a nice read.

Talking
    Move over ringtone, proxy, and pixel sites. These run your own wiki sites may become the newest fad....or not. I've seen them cropping up in the 'site for sale' forums.

Basically just a domain name with some open source software attached...

I've found Wikipedia to be quite comprehensive. Sometimes, it's the first place I look, depending on what I'm looking for.

Is it the end of content sites? Not hardly. Many people will put content there rather than building their own site, but content sites are still in demand.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    That is too funny. Shawn puts it on his domain, and then adds this in the comments "Iím banking on 100% of the industry not being self-centered."

hehe...

He has since moved it, but i think people are smart enough to know to stay away.

Whoa, I didn't expect so many quick replies.
    I'm glad to read that no one really believes Wikipedia is going to knock out many websites. I would like nothing better than to tweak a site on a topic that I love. You know, the whole 'do what you love, the money will follow' type thing.
    I wasn't being clear what I meant by 'content'. I wasn't using the term properly as it applies to websites. What I was trying to say was websites that are factual. Like the websites Sam Bay mentioned.

I'm sure that a lot of the people covering a Wikipedia topic are experts and/or passionate about it. So even if another website contains truly original content and information that's hard to find, with Wikipedia having who knows how many people covering the same subject, it would be very difficult to outdo them information-wise. More creativity is going to be needed to compete. This has always been the case, but I think more so with Wikipedia in the picture. As Snib stated, they have 'raised the bar'.
    Rhia7- Yes, anyone can still edit.
    nyfalcon- Yep, I know. Weird first post, but it fits my personality.
    Leader- Even the newbie that I am already knows your opinion on content sites
    Thanks, you guys, for the insights.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread