Backyard Creatures
    I love to take pics of the various creatures i find in my backyard - thought i would share a few of them
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

I love the second one...

Thanks for sharing then, Heidi!

Do snakes like that really live in your backyard in NY state?!

G.

Yup they do - he's cute isn't he? That snake is about 2 ft long - i've attached another picture of him so you can see his full length - and a shot of my backyard where I do affiliate marketing in the spring/summer/fall. I love sitting out there to work, swim when i get hot, play in the garden and of course take pictures whenever i see interesting creatures.

I believe that snake is the Eastern Ribbon Snake.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

WOW (about the snake)!

You've got one nice backyard there, Heidi!!

Geno

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Hey Heidi! I think that snake is a "her" and I think she's going to give birth pretty soon.

BTW, your new haircut is adorable. I hacked mine off recently, too. Such a relief to have it off your neck in the summer, isn't it?
    Geno, come on over to my house and I'll show you a few bazillion snakes...all in my yard in NY state. Muwahahaha!

Affiliate Manager TheShoppersWorld.com's Avatar
    WOW!! So different than City life here in New York!! Your backyard seems like a Vacation Get-A-Way for me!

That Chick is just Sooooo cute!!

Hey Rhea,

Could be a she, i wouldn't know - I just thought she/he was cool to take pics of.

Yeah i love short hair for all times actually but especially good for summer months in the pool - my hair dries in about 5 minutes after i get out of the pool.
    Heidi

Nice setup Heidi. Let me know when you have your big ABW pool party!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Like your backyard too and you took really great pics of the creatues. But....ummmmm ooooh no...wouldn't like them snakes being nearby. lol Do you know what type of bird it was? Was very pretty.

The snakes don't bother ya if you don't bug them and its not like it was a poisonous one

The bird is an American Goldfinch.

I just put the birdfeeder in about 2 weeks ago, and its been great seeing the birds find it and the numbers of birds are increasing daily coming to visit and eat. So far Cardinals and the Goldfinches are what I see the most of.

I also put up a hummingbird feeder but those birds are so fast its hard to capture them on the camera - I'm hoping eventually I will catch them!
    Heidi

Heidi
    That's what my husband says. As a kid he had them for pets. There's really no rational explanation for being scared of em. lol Can honestly say I've never had any bad experiences with them but for some reason they still give me the creeps.? lol My husband and I were out fishing one time walking along a bank with the grass a little high. He was practically hysterical laughing at me. I was walking and not really looking down til for some reason did only to find this big long black snake practically under my foot. Any basketball team would have probably recruited me if they'd have seen how high I jumped. lol Poor little guy moved so quickly too. I scared him more probably. Really is stupid to act that way...don't know why they give me the creeps. lol

Is the goldfinch the same as those little guys but just looked bigger in the picture? I love them We have a huge pine tree in our yard and some come to visit or live in it. See cardinals and for some reason doves. Everywhere we've lived there have been doves. (Maybe it's the same 3 following us lol ) I like the little birds Definitely don't like turkey vultures. lol

We have a hummingbird feeder, too Haven't seen any yet this year, though. We've had it up for 3 years and saw my very first one the first year then 2 last year. Agree it would be hard to get their picture. Any neighbors see us, they'll think we're goofy. lol The feeder's right next to the front steps where we have a garden around our deck. We have a mail slot in our door, so now and then we'll try to sneak up on the hummingbirds by lifting up the slot and looking out it to try to spot them. lol Even have that part of the garden devoted to hummingbirds and butterflies. We have bee balm, verbena and red dianthus to attract them. (staying in my purple color scheme with pink, red and purples lol )
    My husband did get some pictures of a bunny last week end by our steps The grass has a lot of clover and they evidently like that. Love bunnies

Good luck on getting speedy enough to catch those hummingbirds

yup the goldfinch is same as the little guys - amazing what a zoom on a camera can do I was only about 2ft from the goldfinch in that picture though, I was amazed he just stayed there like that.

I have alot of rabbits that eat in my yard, deer and I have even seen a red fox but have yet to capture any of them on camera - the red fox doesn't stick around out in the open - he was moving pretty swifty thru my yard when I saw him. Even the deer don't really hang around long enough here to snap their pic. I try to always have my camera close by but it doesn't always work.
    Heidi

Duh? I should have realized that. I love those little finches. Not sure why but I seem to love little things. Ooooh you're lucky to especially have the deer. Luckily I do get to see the bunnies a lot but always worry about them because there are quite a few cats that are always out roaming around. I don't ever get to see any deer in my neighborhood but am glad about that because they would end up getting hit by a car. I live in the suburbs near some pretty busy streets and they'd never be able to avoid that here. Don't have to go too far though to be able to see them.
    They've closed down where my husband and I used to fish but used to see the deer all the time. This is no lie...I actually was able to go up to talk to a baby deer (Mom wasn't too far away) got really close to him. Before anybody starts thinking.......ok this person talks to animals. lol I didn't actually hold a conversation with him or anything. lol just told him how pretty he was and later told him I wouldn't be coming back to visit anymore with him and that he shouldn't be so trusting. Told him I would never hurt him but there were people out there that would and that he shouldn't be so trusting of people. Somehow doubt he could understand me lol but hope he could Used to be a park closeby where they were way too trusting of people and later they allowed hunting in it. (won't go there on that subject but that was not really hunting since there were so many of them in such a small confined area and they were so trusting of people)
    We used to get to see fox out there, too Only once in a while do we see any in the neighborhood.
    You must really have a nice selection of pictures from all you get to see in your yard

If I looking for frog.

Who took my frog?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Very cool pictures Heidi and way cool critters. Love the snake!

Snakes are really very cool. My aunt has two big boas and they are the very best cuddlers. I can sit on her couch for hours with them wrapped around me. Really sweet energy. My kids are still flipped out by snakes though. I've tried to get them comfortable with the boas but they don't want any part of them. LOL - I'm the only mom who will volunteer at school when the "reptile lady" comes to visit. It's really cool to see most of the kids learn not to be afraid of them. The tarantulas still freak me out though. Eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww - But the kids pet those hairy horrors and hold them like it's no big deal. I pet one just to try to keep my daughter from being afraid of them. It was amazing. They feel like velvet but damn ... what an ugly beast. I'll take snakes over spiders any day. :-)

Heidi, those pictures would be great on Cafe Press stuff. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    It's great to have wildlife around your home isn't it? Upstate NY is like another world compared to the city. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

We live in the mountains in Colorado and our decks are loaded with birds of all kinds feeding on the many feeders we put out for them. Never tire of the bluebirds, hummingbirds, wookpeckers and the rest.

Also have heards of Elk and Deer that feed their way through our corral all the time. We have to be careful driving becaue they are all over the place! But I wouldn't have it any other way - love the outdoors.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi
    The snakes don't bother ya if you don't bug them and its not like it was a poisonous one

The bird is an American Goldfinch.

I just put the birdfeeder in about 2 weeks ago, and its been great seeing the birds find it and the numbers of birds are increasing daily coming to visit and eat. So far Cardinals and the Goldfinches are what I see the most of.

I also put up a hummingbird feeder but those birds are so fast its hard to capture them on the camera - I'm hoping eventually I will catch them!
    Hey Heidi,

I can tell you live outsid of town. Theres still plenty of green out there in your
    parts. Me and the wife put up a feeder just a couple weeks ago, and I saw
    my first golden finch, and my wife thought I was making it up, till she saw one.

We're still waiting for the cardinals and hummingbirds, but birds sure do flock
    to FREE food! lol

Robert

Well it helps that I have a tree farm behind my house - I have the illusion of a big yard, but really am only on 1/2 acre and my neighbors next door own part of the land and then the tree farm starts. I'm about 2 miles from all the hustle and bustle of Greece NY area - so close enough to everything, but a bit more rural living.

When i put my feeder up the box stated it takes a couple of weeks for the birds to really find it and start eating there regularly. I'm now having to add more food to the feeder faster than after the 1st fill. I plan on putting up more feeders in other sections around my pool area. I know it has gotten noiser with the song birds singing all day long - I love it - natures music.

Rexanne - Thats partly why I take all these pictures - just haven't had a chance to get them up on one of my sites yet
    Heidi

Heya Heidi... I need to take a pic of the frog that visits our inground pool... (for those of you that don't know, I live about 20 minutes from Heidi or so).

It's some variety of tree frog... Tiny little thing, but loud as all get out. I saw him swimming last night, and I was about to fish him out since I didn't think he could jump out.

To my surprise, he just walked right up the pool wall and out... Didn't think we had those around here.

Also, can't remember if I mentioned this here before, but a few folks have seen some sort of big cat near the thruway in Wheatland, if you know where that is. It's very shy, so noone has snapped a photo yet...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Noth, you could just refer to your mystery frog as a "peeper" which is sort of a generic term for small frogs that make loud peeping noises in spring (they're calling for mates). NYS has a brochure about frogs that you can request. It has excellent color drawings.

We have two kinds of big wild cats in NY that I know of, bobcats and mountain lions (cougars). We heard a report last summer that a mountain lion attacked a neighbor's horse but I couldn't find anything in the newspapers about it. New York DEP is very conservative about reports of wolves and other large carnivores in the state.

Speaking of wildlife, here's a funny story about Connecticut DEP policy on moose. It goes kind of like this.

1. There are no moose in Connecticut.
    2. There are moose in Massachusetts.
    33. Any moose found in Connecticut is really a Massachusetts moose.

So whenever a moose turns up in CT the CT DEP phones the MA DEP and tells them to come pick up their damn moose. The really crazy thing is... Massachusetts does it!

LOL. Reminds me of when I was living in Bangor, Maine, and when you'd watch the news, every crime was committed by a "transient" from Massachussetts. The guy may have been living in Maine for the last 50 years, but he's a "transient", not a Mainer
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Here's our perpetrator, although from an Oklahoma website. Maps show their range extending into much of NYS, with a big star on the map that apparently represents my pool.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/treefrog.htm
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread