Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question PayPerPost.com
    what does people think about it..? getting paid to blog..?
    Visit me over at... [URL=http://www.socialrankings.com]Social Rankings[/URL] or [URL=http://revenuerobot.blogspot.com]Revenue Robot[/URL]

Cute idea - adbrite meets a blog.

They'll definitely need a more and diverse advertisers - http://payperpost.com/page/opportunities
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I tend to agree with TechCrunch and Mashable. I think it's a terrible idea and is really just going to devalue Blogs even more. It promotes biased spam when the blogosphere focuses on individuality and unbiased opinions. The worst part is they don't even require that you mark your paid posts as such. They should be disclosed as a paid advertisement. If you're a well known blogger with a strong audience this will just ruin your credibility and possibly lose you some of your loyal visitors.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I think it's a terrible idea and is really just going to devalue Blogs even more. It promotes biased spam when the blogosphere focuses on individuality and unbiased opinions.
    What's the difference between this and a affiliate's blog?

If you're a well known blogger with a strong audience this will just ruin your credibility and possibly lose you some of your loyal visitors.
    I, agree and seriously doubt any well known blogger would endorse this.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Good point, but at least with affiliate blogs you can see the links. You know right away that the blogger is biased. What PayPerPost does is it allows bloggers to create posts without affiliate links making the posts seem unbiased when they most certainly are bias.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    Snib:
    I think it's a terrible idea and is really just going to devalue Blogs even more. It promotes biased spam when the blogosphere focuses on individuality and unbiased opinions.
    Scott, you're obviously a man of principles and ethics, as is clearly shown right here by that statement. However, while that may be true of a certain segment of the blogosphere, it isn't so for all of it. Not all blogs are created equal.

Haiko:
    Neither are all affiliate blogs created equal. But it's kind of a loaded question, isn't it?

The Blogger site, for one, is loaded with anonymous type "pseudo-blogs" aka splogs, junky and obviously done only for rankings and back-links (which is still working so far on a certain search engine - for now), but that's different from an affiliate with a bonafide blog that's regularly kept up and maintained and expresses the person's opinions and recommendations for certain merchants in the same way that a regular affiliate site does.

Would legit affiliate blogs generally include links to sales or for-profit sites by those who post comments or by guest posters (real ones, not faked identities, like forum posters who "talk to themselves" to tag team)? And if so, would those look any more legitimate than promotional URL drops in forums?

If we're talking posts done by an affiliate blogger themselves that they get paid to do, aside from the fact that affiliate sites have a certain bias to begin with, that's really opening a can of worms.

Snib:
    If you're a well known blogger with a strong audience this will just ruin your credibility and possibly lose you some of your loyal visitors.
    Unless you're a well known, accomplished black hat blogger with a strong audience. But then, those have a different type of audience and get respect, admiration and credibility for other reasons.

Snib:
    Good point, but at least with affiliate blogs you can see the links. You know right away that the blogger is biased. What PayPerPost does is it allows bloggers to create posts without affiliate links making the posts seem unbiased when they most certainly are bias.
    So then Scott, (aside from VIPS and block-level link analysis) what's the difference between a link from within a blog post that has no affiliate link and getting paid for putting up text links on an affiliate's blog site?
    Last edited by webworker; July 5th, 2006 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Snib:
    So then Scott, (aside from VIPS and block-level link analysis) what's the difference between a link from within a blog post that has no affiliate link and getting paid for putting up text links on an affiliate's blog site?
    There is no difference in motivation. Both are motivated by money. But how obvious that motivation is sometimes helps a potential customer come to a purchase making decision. If a sales person comes on too strong the buyer will back away, but this let's the sales person dress like a fellow consumer. Now how do we know what consumers to listen to if they could be undercover sales people?

- Scott

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    The Value of Content thats Create with a Bribe Vs. Naturally
    The Value of Content thats Create with a Bribe Vs. Naturally

Good debate and while most websites would want to have there message board and blogs grow naturally. There is something to be said with offering a benifit that gets your viewers to write valuable content. You can call it a bribe or a reward.

We have been offering our affiliates, prizes that they could give out as rewards for postings, reviews to articles submitted. We've used these phone card gift certificates as a tool to help the site gain more content and at the same time more impulse sales for Pingo's virtual phone cards.

Using this strategy, I believe that your letting the site grow naturally but your making it grow faster by rewarding your community to grow your destination.

Since we just launched this on a few affiliate partners sites, Anyone ever tride something like this? any feedback?

-Brian
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'd be rich if someone paid me for every post I made since 1998. Can this senerio be imposed on a retroactive basis right here at ABW?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Bravo WW.

======

Mike, as posted earlier (in another thread) you need a radio show.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

I'll do it. If you look at the offers you don't have to give a good review to get paid.

I think if a company wants to pay you to review their product then why not as long as you aren't forced to say its great when it is not.

This isn't any different than a company like ATI giving me hardware to review.

However some of the offers on this site want good reviews those I won't do.

And to think this was my idea first. I actually charge companies 5 dollars a year to submit their Press Releases to me with no gurantee that it will be read.

ABW Ambassador
    I think if a company wants to pay you to review their product then why not as long as you aren't forced to say its great when it is not.
    That's different from what this is doing. And we'd be naive to think it hasn't already been going on through back-room buddy deals and promotion for clients by marketers.

This isn't any different than a company like ATI giving me hardware to review.
    The difference is, now that this is getting publicized it's blatantly shoving links-for-sale in the face of search engine reps - including Matt Cutts, who's probably known about the concept for quite a while; he runs in pretty savvy circles and doesn't miss much. But once something starts to be publicly bartered it puts it in a different light.

Why not? Because with companies being publicly listed like that page on the site, it's not hard to track down backlinks given webmap capabilities, and next thing we know decent sites won't be passing PR any more.

I actually charge companies 5 dollars a year to submit their Press Releases to me with no gurantee that it will be read.
    Boy, have you been under-charging!!

That's different from what this is doing. And we'd be naive to think it hasn't already been going on through back-room buddy deals and promotion for clients by marketers.
    No it isn't. for example the iCall software that they are asking people to review on payperpost.com does not require you give a good review they want an honest review. The DVI2USB doesn't want a bad or good review they want an opinion on the product. Some want exposure. Some of the offers do want only a good review or are blatant advertisements but most aren't and I would do any offer that is relevant to my sites content as long as I didn't have to sugar coat it.

The difference is, now that this is getting publicized it's blatantly shoving links-for-sale in the face of search engine reps - including Matt Cutts, who's probably known about the concept for quite a while; he runs in pretty savvy circles and doesn't miss much. But once something starts to be publicly bartered it puts it in a different light.
    You don't think Affiliate sites are blatantly shoving links-for-sale in the face of search engine reps?[/quote]

Boy, have you been under-charging!!
    I know but my site is no PCworld.

SE's will just consider blogs as a form of CMS, rather than any different mindset or motivation,

What exactly is the pay-rate for this concept from these people? Is it a flat-fee and then get paid in 30 days, or some other factor? I did try to read the information from the site first but apparently you have to join first to know.

It's interesting because sounds like you are writing articles for very little money.

ABW Ambassador
    It's interesting because sounds like you are writing articles for very little money.
    Some article out there said it was about $5-10 a post a while back, no idea what it is now. But I've got no doubt it's selling one's soul and risking a site's link reputation for a morsel.

Putting focused articles up on sites with text links and deep links isn't anything new, but IMHO this is just a cheap adaptation for blogs. It can't pay enough to warrant risking the loss of being able to pass PR and anchor text value - especially for links to a person's own affiliate and/or ecom sites, which can be worth a lot more long term.

That's from an affiliate marketing viewpoint - *especially* having a legit non-commercial blog with an ODP listing (which is still gold) and a few decent IBLs and that can legitimately link to clean commercial and/or affiliate sites and pass link love. Any possible short term benefit has to be weighed against the potential of loss of value; it pays to count the cost.
    Last edited by webworker; July 6th, 2006 at 01:05 AM.

- Scott

sorry but that is just too funny.. your saying people who run blogs cant make money from them or they are recommending and being biased just because they want to make money

look.. if i spend 80hrs in a week giving chumps online information.. you bet your ass im going to want to get paid for it.. so yes im going to put affiliate links in my blogs and adsense..

this is Business not Make Friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Morethanable
    sorry but that is just too funny.. your saying people who run blogs cant make money from them or they are recommending and being biased just because they want to make money

look.. if i spend 80hrs in a week giving chumps online information.. you bet your ass im going to want to get paid for it.. so yes im going to put affiliate links in my blogs and adsense..

this is Business not Make Friends.
    I'm not saying it's bad to be biased. There are very successful affiliates who run blog software for nothing but sales.

My point was that a service like this allows a non-sales blog to secretly earn revenue by selling links. Their readers can be manipulated to certain purchase decisions without any disclosure.

- Scott

ah ok i see what you mean scott. yes then i agree

Does it work?

I can't see the point of getting into the dynamics of it. Reminds me when I used to listen to the Howard Stern Show on radio and he would go into this 4 minute rant on how great this one local Dodge dealership was in 1st person, like he was a real customer of theirs and just wanted to take a few minutes out to tell us how great they were. I heard that commerical on his show many times, but come to understand that his whole purpose of the show, at it's core, was the desire to make money. A person making a blog in the case mentioned here is after money. it just might actually work.

If the shoe fits wear it.

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    Should we pay for posts?

We always suggest to our affiliates to wright reviews and give it a bit of an honeset spin to it.

I think thats the best use of affiliate marketing for a service related product.

Just like believing in howard stern and his plugs.

payperpost holds teleseminars to answer questions and they respond pretty fast for me to emails if your skeptical.

take care

brian
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

This is an interesting thread
    I was forwarded this thread from one of our advertisers and I wanted to make myself available for questions.

-Ted Murphy, Founder of PayPerPost.

ABW Ambassador
    So are the advertisers really looking for "buzz" or are they looking for a cheap way to get backlinks for the search engines? How about rel="nofollow" if it's really for the traffic - wouldn't that be OK?

Backlinks
    So are the advertisers really looking for "buzz" or are they looking for a cheap way to get backlinks for the search engines? How about rel="nofollow" if it's really for the traffic - wouldn't that be OK?
    I think the value for the advertiser is both the buzz and the backlink.

ABW Ambassador
    I think the value for the advertiser is both the buzz and the backlink.
    Supposedly that's the theory behind selling any text links, but any way you cut it, it's still text link brokerage. The difference is in the pricing - whether it's priced like a high dollar courtesan or a $2 a trick Hollywood Blvd. streetwalker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast